• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

August 2014, Toe the Line.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Mad Irish Jack's Voices have been at it again... And now they're startin' to talk to ME! :shocked2:

Them there voices have some purty good ideas sometimes and got me to thinkin' about this month's contest.
We are gonna shoot at an X again, 5 shots, but there's gonna be a difference. Cut the X with one ball and the other 4 shots try and put the center of the ball on the center of each line; that's half way from corner to center. Measuring is center of the ball to the center of the closest line. Two holes near one line; measure closest to line and the other to the line away, and each succeeding ball to the next free line Away from one already measured. Ball cutting the target edge is +1" penalty. Resting, semi-bench rested (Bags support the fore end and only the trigger hand holds unsupported wrist area anchored by shoulder and fires shot. The gun may jump some, whatever.

Take 5 Shots, at an 8.5" x 11" sheet of typing/printer paper with an X drawn thru the center, at 25 yards. One shot at the center of the X, and one shot at the center of each leg of the X.

Each shot will be measured as described above. These 5 measurements will be added together, plus any penalties, for your score.

One target entry per member.

5 shots per target.

Mutilated targets and targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified.

No do-overs.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading rifles (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock ignition. (you can use a smoothbore or pistol if you would like)

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand or semi-rested (see above) at 25 yards.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle)

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

The center of the target, and the lines, will be determined by the judge.

Judges decisions are final.

Each contestant's score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name must be written on your targets.

Since I wasted a weekend in August with a late start, this contest runs thru The first weekend in September, 2014.

Mail your target postmarked by September 8, 2014 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 322
Pekin, IL 61555

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

That is correct.
I know there are some folks who do not have access to a bench. If they prefer to just shoot off-hand that is OK by me.

Got it shot, in the envelope and in the Mail. Starting Friday I won't be able to get access to a range until Sept. So, I had to get 'er done. So I did. This is probably the earliest I done got it done. Now I be going under tormentation from them voices. Now it'll be " Shoulda done this; shoulda done 'at; shoulda made this 'justment;shoulda made 'at 'justment; etc, etc, etc. I might have a tough time sleepin' nights. Come September I'll be gettin' in some pre hunt season practice since my shoulders are actin' up some. It's a good thing my rifle flinter is a light weight tool.

Got 'er done today, Jethro (blue painters' tape and all!). Had to use a bag for the front rest though, as I haven't done any off hand shooting since June. Thanks once again for running these rather creative and challenging contests!

Could be. The turnout was a little better than it has been lately for the July 4 contest. I'll be posting results very soon.

"Take 5 Shots, at an 8.5" x 11" sheet of typing/printer paper with an X drawn thru the center"

The X, is it drawn corner to corner or like crosshairs?

Sorry, I left that out this time, usually I mention that part in the rules. Draw the X from corner to corner.

:slap: If you draw it like a crosshair it would be a +... :stir:

You can make the X as thick and dark as you like in order to see it better. You can even add those orange dots or whatever. When I score the targets tho I will use a very fine line to determine true center and true center of where the line legs should be. Whether that is exactly where your lines are or not.

You may be right. Them voices did mention a +. (I had forgot about that.) And I've often wondered if Sean heard the voices... :hmm:

I'm on vacation this week from the day job. I spent about four hours today at the range enjoying the beautiful weather here in Ohio and putting some balls down range with my new TVM Iron PA .45 flintlock.

So far there's been 53 rounds down the barrel and I'm pretty happy with the rifle. After a couple sight adjustments I posted up my X target and took my five shots for the Toe the Line shoot. Got lucky and split the black line once.

My target will be on its way this week. Thanks for hosting these shoots Jethro. I wish I had the time to shoot in more of them.

Toe the Line, you say. OK it looks there are five targets ahead of mine. I have mine in the mail. Good Luck to everyone!

Hey Jethro what happened in the July shoot? Any results yet?

Ok so now we know! Never trust my eye when it comes to yardage. It was real muddy and I had to walk around instead of walking off the yards. So I picked a bush at 25 yards. I added maybe 2.5 yards to be sure. Set two more at 50 yards. My targets all set I went to shooting.

After shooting 5 in each 50 yard & 5 in my non contest 25 yard I was set to "toe the line"

Took my 1st shot, :( Well *&^%!

Then to top it all off the guy next to me asks why the X target. I tell him I'm shooting it in a contest, & explain the rules. He whips out a rangefinder & asks why are you shooting at 41 yards? :doh: I had already shot the 1st shot so I shot all 5 at that range. (my 50 yard targets were at 65)

Well they're all on paper so I'll send it in :redface:

Now I'm gona look under the sofa seat for change so I can save up for a rangefinder.

Latest posts

Back