• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

August Postal Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ruger old army
.457 rb
30 grains pyrodex pistol with crisco chamber seal
Shot off hand, 15 yards.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
I'm pretty proud of this one. 15 yards offhand, Pietta .44 cal 1858 Remington 12", .451 home-cast balls from whatever scrap I could find, and 30 grains of swiss fffg black powder. I'm counting a score of 75 (edge of peach on left target is a double for a score of 40, right is 35). Not a bad day out in the desert either!

I'm not going to show you guys how the target turned out with my .50 cal flintlock offhand. Suffice to say I need more practice before I go public with that one!

Attachments

• 20230825_122321.jpg
    20230825_122321.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230825_122425.jpg
    20230825_122425.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230825_163801.jpg
    20230825_163801.jpg
    765.8 KB · Views: 0
Shot the match with my Crockett Rifle. Hornady .310 ball, .014(on my caliper) homemade pillow ticking patch lubed with 4:1 H2O/Ballistol mix, and 20 grns. of pyrodex P ( yep, I know). Fired from 25 yards, standing supported (as I would hunting). Again, thank you Gary for calling the shots. It's always a good time!

Attachments

• IMG_20230829_125456833_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230829_125456833_HDR.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 0
Shot the match with my Crockett Rifle. Hornady .310 ball, .014(on my caliper) homemade pillow ticking patch lubed with 4:1 H2O/Ballistol mix, and 20 grns. of pyrodex P ( yep, I know). Fired from 25 yards, standing supported (as I would hunting). Again, thank you Gary for calling the shots. It's always a good time!
Not sure why that photo posted upside down 🤷

Thanks for posting and nice target! These smart phones don't always take pictures how we like them!
I'm going to try to get out to shoot the target this week - running out of time....
I've often said I'm too dumb for a smartphone. I frequently prove myself right 🤣

Gary, here’s my August target. It’s either a 65 or a 70. Not sure if the stem shot scores. Thanks.

View attachment 24916925 yds offhand
.36 cal SMR, Flintlock
.350 RB
.020 patch with Ballistol/water lube
40 gr Swiss 3F, 3F in the pan
Thanks for posting PK! Nice looking rifle and target scores as 65 - 1/2 of the ball diameter must break the scoring line to count, so no points for the shot close to the stem😞

All, I guess I will miss the August PM. Here's why: I shot my targets for record with an unmentionable rifle. I.e., I needed to sight the thing in an came to find I completely fouled up the Williams receiver sight adjustments (reading the directions afterwards certainly helped! LOL). I also stripped a bolt in the receiver itself, but have since retapped it to 6-32 and it seems tight.* To add insult to injury, the fiber optic rod in the front sight broke fell out under the shooting bench. Fortunately I found it and stuck it back in place (have since ordered and installed a new one from Brownells). By that time I ran out of RB's and was thoroughly fed up with my rifle and my target. (Bad didn't begin to describe it.) Anyway, the September target looks more promising and I won't be using that particular gun for record.

*The newer Williams receiver sights are made of aluminum and are easy to strip out even if you aren't ham handed.

Back