• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

And So It Begins........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a piece of brass kickplate that goes on a door. Got it at the flea market for $ 5. Just cut 2 pieces of the width ya need with tin snips & stick them in the vice, bend one over each jaw.

Keith Lisle

DSC01170.jpg
DSC01169.jpg
DSC01168.jpg

Now that I have the plug and and just setting the pieces together without any additional inletting I can see how it would cause a major problem. Very grateful guys thanks.

After seeing your pictures we can now say,
"After you move the barrel back towards the butt about 1/4 inch (more or less), THEN you can think about doing something with the barrel tang. :)

Hey..... You are doing OK..... :wink: You just took off a lil before the horse arrived... :grin: Most stop & ask when they are about up to their chin in quicksand... :shake: you were just at the edge of it.

Now that you are headed in the correct direction, it will work out OK. Use the steps I sent you & you will be OK. When you get to a point you Don't Know for Sure, just ASK... before ya jump into it. :thumbsup:

Some of these things you can go back & change, but others you will be stuck with. I vote for being stuck with the least amount of errors as possible, thus why best to follow a plan, rather than just taking off wandering.

:thumbsup:

Keith Lisle

I vote for as little errors as possible as well. Guess I got excited to get started. I keep learning more about this build everyday. Thought I would post those pictures and that they might be helpful to the other first time builders who responded.

Don't start moving it back yet, you need to make sure the plug is seated properly to the breech, as Keith showed you. That plug looks to be about 5/8" and could easily be cut to 1/2". Being that long can affect the geometry of the rifle. But since this is your first build, I would make sure the plug fit is correct, and go from there with Keith's advice. That plug may be in and out a couple more times before you are done with the build.

Bill

Looking at those I should have put in a above view picture. But you get what Im working with. Anyway I havent touched it since I got the breach plug out. I'm trying to learn about inletting the lock right now and try and start some work on it thursday.

I'm coming in late on this one. It looks like the vent comes out behind the face of the breech plug. If this is the case, you can V-notch the breech plug. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

If you read all the posts, you will find he has not inlet the lock as of yet, which is what he should have done First... Also it is a straight barrel & straight tang & he can move the barrel back where he wants it, thus obtaining proper vent liner position.

V notching the breechplug just builds in a problem. Yes, it will get the rifle shooting & is done frequently, but also has it's disadvantages. It is a fouling trap, a rust trap cause you can't clean it easily, it breaks the breechplug/barrel seat, and to me should be avoided if at all possible. Others see it differently & that is fine. But why have it if you can just move the barrel back a bit & eliminate these issues ?

Keith Lisle

Latest posts

Back