• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Kibler SMR Build Log

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
In response to popular demand (well, OK, maybe one or two fellow members asked me to do this), here begins the build log of my Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle .45 caliber in walnut.

Build Log #1

The box arrives.

The mailman delivers a box he says is "the most unusual packaging" he's ever seen, mentioning "screws all over", and speculates it contains "anti-tank missles". Hah, I know he's joking - he and I are on friendly terms, so I tell him what's really inside. However, the YouTubers don't adequately prepare you for the actual physical size of the box. I'm expecting the wooden box, screws and all, but I'm surprised it's five and a half feet long.

kibler_1.JPG

So, obviously, this isn't going to be a "kitchen table gunsmithing" project, and I am preparing for that by giving the work table in my basement shop area a new surface. You can see the old one that came off in the background. No way I'm working on this rifle on that dirty and beat up surface!

kibler_2.JPG

Anyway, I'm waiting to open the Kibler box until the work table is ready. The oil is still drying and I need to mount my vise. So that's it for the first day.

Hint: Unless you want sawdust and wood chips filling those boxes under the bench, ya might want to cover them up.

Can't wait to see your progress.
Rick

Last edited:
Build Log #2

Unboxing.

OK, I couldn't wait. The work table oil is soaked in and dry enough; I can defer the vise mounting.

So, a fresh battery and 28 screws later:
kibler_3.JPG

kiblerr_4.JPG

kibler_5.JPG

This packaging is just so impressive. Look at how the barrel is supported:
kibler_6.JPG

And the parts box isn't just rattling around inside there, isn't actually glued to the container shell. The parts are contained in sturdy plastic bags, with the crucial lock and trigger further protected by individual wrapping:
kibler_7.JPG

One thing I noted right away: the barrel lugs are now pre-installed in the barrel:
kibler_8.JPG

If I could use just one word to describe what I've seen so far it's the word CLASS.

One very minor con: I had asked for some scrap walnut to test my finishing on, and none was included. Email sent, and no doubt will be some on the way soon.

Last edited:
Build Errata #1

Laurel Mountain Forge Rust Browning

The rust browning directions come, with an order of solution, on a tiny sheet mice-typed without formatting, barely readable and not quite understandable, using my strongest pair of reading glasses. So, I took some time with the given instructions to copy and retype, reformat and make a few minor edits, in order to make them easier to follow for others like myself. So, help yourself to the download, if you find it helpful.

Attachments

• Laurel Mountain Rust Browning.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
Build Log #2

Unboxing.

OK, I couldn't wait. The work table oil is soaked in and dry enough; I can defer the vise mounting.

So, a fresh battery and 28 screws later:
View attachment 233694
View attachment 233695
View attachment 233696

This packaging is just so impressive. Look at how the barrel is supported:
View attachment 233697

And the parts box isn't just rattling around inside there, isn't actually glued to the container shell. The parts are contained in sturdy plastic bags, with the crucial lock and trigger further protected by individual wrapping:
View attachment 233699

One thing I noted right away: the barrel lugs are now pre-installed in the barrel:
View attachment 233700

If I could use just one word to describe what I've seen so far it's the word CLASS.

One very minor con: I had asked for some scrap walnut to test my finishing on, and none was included. Email sent, and no doubt will be some on the way soon.
The barrel tennons are usually pre-drilled also with Kibler. Looks like he missed one. Semper Fi.

I'm sorry - why?

Barrel needs to have final fit before tenons get drilled. You may need to move barrel in channel for a perfect fit, if they are predrilled in tenon, your predrilled holes in stock may not line up with predrilled holes in tenons, therefore tenons are not predrilled from kibler, at least on SMR.

Last edited:
The barrel tennons are usually pre-drilled also with Kibler. Looks like he missed one. Semper Fi.
We don't pre-drill the tennons on our mountain rifle kit. It just has to do with the manufacture process and what machines we use and their capabilities.

We do slot the underlugs on our Woodsrunner kit.

Jim

Barrel needs to have final fit before tenons get drilled. You may need to move barrel in channel for a perfect fit, if they are predrilled in tenon, your predrilled holes in stock may not line up with predrilled holes in tenons, therefore tenons are not predrilled from kibler, at least on SMR.
Just remember that the tennons should be slotted and not just a hole. This will negate the problems you mention.

Only on the Woodsrunner, also the stock holes pre-drilled as well. He is able to do that with the precision capabilities of the newest machine that produces that model only. The SMR used to come without the tenons or touchhole installed but mine had those tasks completed already, to my delight.

Not on an SMR...
I wouldn't want them predrilled
Sorry to differ. I have built 4 SMR's for customers. All have come pre-drilled, I think. You could be correct though. My old battle-damaged brain gets things confused quite often. Semper Fi. 🤪

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back