• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First flintlock deer! So hooked!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 61297

32 Cal
Reaction score
Yesterday was first day of early antlerless season in VA. Weatherman sain low 50s for the first couple hours so I decided to give it a try. I built first flinter out of a parts package I got in a local sale paper. A gentleman had assembled all the parts for a build over the last 20ish years. But never assembled them. I got it together this spring and after lots of range time and help from the wisdom on these pages got the 42" 50 cal 1:66 green mountain barrel with L&R lock dialed in.

Cast .490 balls from a lee mold, .015 patches, lubed with TOW mink oil, touched off with Grafs 3f at 75gr = 5 shots into 1 to 2 inches at 50 yards from field rested positions.

About 0900 yesterday the parade of young bucks started, of course during antlerless season. Last deer in the March was a nice doe, last years most likely, with no spotted followers. Took my shot at 45 yards. Excellent hit, double lung archery like placement. Deer scattered, watched my target run with the group and break off after 25 yards or so.

Also Thanks to the wise folks here that advise prb hits be treated like bowhunting. Let the woods calm down, put jag on rod, stabbed barrel, calmly reloaded and sat down for 20 min.

Speed to end, a 50 yard track led to great first deer,, not much blood first 20 yards, but got steadily heavier to the fallRhanks to all of you for the great posts. so helpful. Now I have added flintlock to my list of centerfire, classic cartridge, traing wheel bow, traditional bow, percussion and the dreaded incline MZ. I have to say the homemade flinyer, with my cast balls, cleaned with a Russell knife I made is full circle. I am hooked!

With cast .490

Sorry for typos. 52 year old eyes and fingers typing before morning coffee!

Pic attached I hope.

Attachments

• 20230902_093902.jpg
    20230902_093902.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday was first day of early antlerless season in VA. Weatherman sain low 50s for the first couple hours so I decided to give it a try. I built first flinter out of a parts package I got in a local sale paper. A gentleman had assembled all the parts for a build over the last 20ish years. But never assembled them. I got it together this spring and after lots of range time and help from the wisdom on these pages got the 42" 50 cal 1:66 green mountain barrel with L&R lock dialed in.

Cast .490 balls from a lee mold, .015 patches, lubed with TOW mink oil, touched off with Grafs 3f at 75gr = 5 shots into 1 to 2 inches at 50 yards from field rested positions.

About 0900 yesterday the parade of young bucks started, of course during antlerless season. Last deer in the March was a nice doe, last years most likely, with no spotted followers. Took my shot at 45 yards. Excellent hit, double lung archery like placement. Deer scattered, watched my target run with the group and break off after 25 yards or so.

Also Thanks to the wise folks here that advise prb hits be treated like bowhunting. Let the woods calm down, put jag on rod, stabbed barrel, calmly reloaded and sat down for 20 min.

Speed to end, a 50 yard track led to great first deer,, not much blood first 20 yards, but got steadily heavier to the fallRhanks to all of you for the great posts. so helpful. Now I have added flintlock to my list of centerfire, classic cartridge, traing wheel bow, traditional bow, percussion and the dreaded incline MZ. I have to say the homemade flinyer, with my cast balls, cleaned with a Russell knife I made is full circle. I am hooked!

With cast .490
Congratulations!

beautiful rifle and congrats on the doe. That's one of the problems with PRB. They are good killers but don't show much blood until the chest cavity starts filling up. Next time try to aim a little lower. Again congrats.

Congratulations, it is very addictive. I picked up a flint for the first time a few years ago and never put them down.

I've taken 5 or 6 deer and a few other game with flinters now, they kill very well.

Wait till the smoothbore bug bites you!

Congratulations Curdog1, great story and hunt. Nice looking flintlock you built there. Hopefully the Bucks will show up during buck season and we will get to see a pic of a successful buck hunt. Always exciting to take a deer with a self poured PRB.

Latest posts

Back