• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Kibler SMR Build Log

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m “old school” in that I’ve been involved in aviation for around 40 years now.
Well, I earned my "PPL" in 1973, so if your're equating seniority with authority, as line pilots tend to do, I think I outrank you. I was first employed as a flight instructor / charter pilot in 1975. You want to compete on hours? No way I can beat you there. Corporate pilots only rack up about 500 hrs per year. Your comments still don't take into account the entirety of the thread. And the entirety of your situational awareness, it seems to me.

Last edited:
What!?!? You don't think it looks kinda cool??? I kinda like it this way. My Kentucky pistol muzzle is bevelled.
View attachment 241765
Yes very nice but subtle you got carried away. I personally thought it was a joke and you were playing us all. I respect your aviation background; me I’m just a lowly Private Pilot. Owned a Cessna 150 for several years and I am also a licensed A&P. I was shooting touch and goes at Republic Airport and the very morning my hero Ronald Reagan fired all the ATC guys and gals that struck. I decided I’d rather fix them than fly them when the skies over Long Island got more restrictive and hectic. I suspect you are an older gent fixed in your ways and determined. Like the one gent suggested put everything down and take a step back! I have to do that with a kit gun I’m trying to build. It’s a preinlet Lancaster just full of surprises. I’ve ran into a lot of issues with it. All of which can be repaired it’s now time to decide if I leave the latest issue be and shape the stock the best I can with help from a few members here. I pm directly. When I first started I contacted one of the senior legends he made a comment to me that I will never forget and that was know wear your going before you begin! Classic! Basically in my case there should have been know surprises I should have checked carefully every inch of the stock every inlet the ramrod hole alignment the necessary tools this way no surprises when you get to a different stage in the build. And no disrespect if you’re an older gent I’m 65 and hope to get a lot older. Don’t let your ego get in the way! Like Bill Raby suggested he said it helps him build his master pieces by talking about what and how he is going to perform his next step. It works and helps keep on the road of where you want to go and not that other place. Stop posting and ask via PM if you need help even guys you ****** of by trying to justify it will still probably offer sound advice. Take a break for a day or so. If you can afford it purchase a second barrel. I have a few SMRs and they shoot lights out. I like them long and would not shorten it! Though that’s your call. Shorting the barrel you will need to probably redo the ramrod pipes ut a new site slot. Think know where you are going.
Good luck
Call it a day and rest up!

I think it turned out to be a beautiful barrel:
IMG_3528.JPG

Bevelled muzzle and ...
IMG_3529.JPG

... abbreviated tang.

I love it. I'm keeping it. As is.

wow, this guy just won’t learn.
He quits just long enough for everyone to celebrate, insults a few more quality builders, brags some more about an abortion that he made.
How do we stop this insanity?

You said in your run down about flying that the guy in charge you were with didn’t want to hear anything from a young fresh face kid right out of school or something to that affect , so in the picture you showed of the two people standing next to the plain and said guess which one you are, I take it your the one on the right because apparently your fly training days were some time ago. So with that said if you can fly a plain it should be in you to do the most smallest of remedial tasks instead of flat out disaster and ruination.So Cut the dam end of the Barrel off it looks stupid as hell And fix that mess correctly you wanted To show the world what you can do so make your self proud and redeem your self and take all the advice given…😤

...Those second tang 'bolts' were often wood screws on southern Appalachian rifles.
Hey!! It took a while to sink in, but that's a really great idea!! I could secure the trigger plate with a wood screw through the rear hole going up. No need for a second tang screw coming in from the top and going down. Thanks!! :thumb:

...So Cut the dam end of the Barrel off it looks stupid as hell😤
No. To me it looks beautiful. I couldn't care less what you or the rest of the world thinks about how it looks. It's my opinion of how it looks that matters to me. Your kind of advice I've been getting is the advice that I've not been taking. It's the above post's advice that actually offers something useful to me that I have.

I think it turned out to be a beautiful barrel:
View attachment 241777

Bevelled muzzle and ...
View attachment 241778
... abbreviated tang.

I love it. I'm keeping it. As is.
If you love it fine, but before you start filling in the tang inlet in the the stock (guessing that is what you will do), you do know that the tang is easily replaced with one that will fit your stock as originally inlet by Kibler.

I thought about that. An ebony inlay can be put in the vacant slot, but a replacement tang would be easier, lots easier

Last edited:
That would be the correct way to go , But well you know. I believe he feels slighted and come he’ll or high water he’ll go around the mountain to make more work for himself, I don’t get it I could never be a counselor…

Well, I earned my "PPL" in 1973, so if your're equating seniority with authority, as line pilots tend to do, I think I outrank you.
That has no relevance to anything whatsoever. Swing and a miss. And with the SA nonsense, stop simply trying to throw more aviation buzzwords at me. It’s not working…

As to your comment regarding the entirety of this thread: a significant portion of this thread is people telling you exactly the same message I have been. You’re a brick wall. I would be willing to bet that your 1975 self would agree with me…

.... You’re a brick wall. I would be willing to bet that your 1975 self would agree with me…
Hah!! One thing you and I can agree on. I'd rather be a brick wall than a sand castle.

... a significant portion of this thread is people telling you exactly the same message I have been....
... and no doubt a significant portion of Gen. Washington's advisers told him that Christmas of 1776 was no time to cross the Delaware and attack the British.

I suppose we are bewildered by the childish comments and that lack of respect for those vastly more experienced.I have respect for pilots but could not pass the color test. The students in the FFDO program were very good. We had some very good low altitude pilots in my agency before helicopters took over.
There are likely other websites that one could communicate with others who share a past career.

If you concentrate on the build of this rifle it would be beneficial to you. I want to see the inlay to cover up the extended tang, if that is your intent.

If you concentrate on the build of this rifle it would be beneficial to you.
I think I tried that once. It wasn't.

"This rifle" ... hmmm ...

As I said, the Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle kit builld is terminated. The "My Kibler SMR Build Log" is terminated. How long this actual thread continues is up to forum staff.

I do have a very nice collection of functional Kibler SMR kit rifle parts that will no longer assemble into a 100% correct Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle. But ... it's quite possible they might yet assemble into some kind of a nice functioning and shooting flintlock muzzle-loading rifle. Am I going to document that build here? Not on your life!!

I think I tried that once. It wasn't.

"This rifle" ... hmmm ...

As I said, the Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle kit builld is terminated. The "My Kibler SMR Build Log" is terminated. How long this actual thread continues is up to forum staff.

I do have a very nice collection of functional Kibler SMR kit rifle parts that will no longer assemble into a 100% correct Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle. But ... it's quite possible they might yet assemble into some kind of a nice functioning and shooting flintlock muzzle-loading rifle. Am I going to document that build here? Not on your life!!
GOOD! ADIOS!

Build Log #4

Making Tools

I mentioned in a previous post that I gave my work table a clean, new surface worthy of a Kibler kit. Now, I need some extra special tools worthy of me to help me build that kit.

Let's start with some decent leather pads for my vise. I've been doing with makeshift, but not good enough for me now. Fortunately, some old and worn out leather belts were hiding under the work bench, hoping and praying to some day be repurposed for something useful. I can empathize with that. Add in some scrap lumber and glue and we have:
View attachment 234288

That will hold the main body of of the stock, but this is a very graceful and delicate forearm, so now we need something to keep the forearm comfy and secure at the proper height above the work table:
View attachment 234290

Together, clamped to the work table, they'll keep the stock nice and steady:
View attachment 234291

Now, to deal with the barrel, I sacrificed a Sharpie to make a muzzle plug:
View attachment 234292

But, it's going to be more than just a mere muzzle plug:
View attachment 234296

These two little doohickies together, plus a piece screwed under the tang, will allow me to support the barrel off the work surface, and to rotate it without touching it (note the non-metallic screw):
View attachment 234297
View attachment 234298

I'm hoping a little electrical tape wrapped around the Sharpie will compress and seal the grooves:
View attachment 234299

I haven't decided yet what to do about the touch hole. Suggestions are welcomed.

But, of course, there's always one last thing, and one can't do a build without a proper mallet. Sure, I could buy one, but it's fun building your own tools. Now, this might look like a plain old piece of closet rod, but don't be fooled:
View attachment 234300

.... 'cuz it's got half a dozen .50 cal lead balls embedded in one end, and that's enough to enable a fairly authoritative "rap" that's less than an excessive hammer "whack".

End of log for today.
Very resourceful! I'll have to try some of these myself.

You have turned a very well made and easy to assemble kit into manure. You must have an axe to grind with Mr. Kibler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back