• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Very Unique Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Race gun for competition never seen a black powder pistol done for this but I have a few of the un-mentionable revolvers that were solely built for competition. The front sight is what is called a partridge type of sight I would bet the rear sight has been re-worked also these are very accurate sight set ups. Looks like it will get the job done for you I would not worry to much about the negative comments it was a purpose built revolver for someone and now it is yours, enjoy shooting it. These type of guns can demand high money in the right circles.

Color case appears to be a good approximation of the Colt case colors. If I had to guess I'd bet Turnbull could have done it. Well thought out revolver made for one specific purpose. Enjoy both its looks and performance.

I think it’s great! Interesting mods on one of the greatest revolvers to ever be created. Be happy with your purchase and know that someone would take that off your hands tomorrow should you decide to part with it. (Don’t!)

BTW that looks like a Bowen rear sight on there. Never a bad thing.

I sure like it as a unique gun built for a purpose, Whoever did that conversion and built the loading tool just did not believe in going halfway, And no, I will not be trying to duplicate it,

I kind of like it. The case coloring doesn't appear to be very bright but a great contrast to the bluing on the rest of the gun. Makes my factory gun look rather plain. This gun probably would have come home with me too, even if just until the novelty wore off. Looks like it would be fun to play with and work up a load for.
That's because the Ruger frames are investment cast chrome molly steel, not the best alloy for good case coloring but stronger than is necessary for black powder pressure. I've seen cartridge guns given the same treatment and the mods to this revolver are not difficult for any competent machinest. My problem would be cutting up a ROA unless I could find a real beat up example to rebuild. As far as strength, as long as the metal thickness is as much or more than is in the chamber walls, the 4140 cast steel that Ruger's are made of will easily handle any black powder pressure physically able to be loaded. I would have left the web between the nipples though for flash over protection.

Last edited:
I think it’s great! Interesting mods on one of the greatest revolvers to ever be created. Be happy with your purchase and know that someone would take that off your hands tomorrow should you decide to part with it. (Don’t!)

BTW that looks like a Bowen rear sight on there. Never a bad thing.

Looks like a Bomar but Bob didn’t make one to fit Ruger revolvers. The one on my ROA and two other Rugers were bought from Clark Custom Guns then in Keatchie Louisisna now near Minden.

I got out to the range today, but I ran out of time when the guy who rents our farm land stopped by.
At least I got some smoke made.

Here's how full a chamber was with 20grs. by volume of Goex FFFg.
20 grs. Goex FFFg.jpg

I know Rugers like .457" ball, but figured I might as well try some others too.
This is a .451" swaged ready to seat on the loading tool.
Ready to seat ball.jpg

Seated
Ball seated.jpg

Some posters commented on the possibility of a chain fire with the rear of the cylinder turned down.
I prepared for that somewhat by loading one chamber with powder and ball, and then did the others with just powder and a wad. No chain fire occurred then or at any other time.
Used regular Remington #10 caps.
Chain fire test.jpg

All shots were at 25 yds. I swabbed the barrel between cylinders full. The cylinder gap is tight enough that I occasionally lubed the cylinder face with Ballistol so it was easier to cock the action.

The first cylinder was .451" swaged over 20 grs. Goex FFFg. Four rounds were within 2 or 3 inches with the fifth one a good four or five inches from center. Looked unimpressive so didn't bother with a picture.

The second cylinder I reduced the powder charge to 17 or 18grs by volume of the same powder.
When loading 20 grs on the first cylinder I had to bear down fairly hard when seating the ball so they didn't drag on the barrel face. The cylinder gap is tight.

This is the target from the second cylinder using the slightly reduced powder charge and a swaged .454" ball. The remaining two shots were 3 or 4 inches further away, but these first three show promise.
25 yds. Swaged 454 17 grs. 3Fg.jpg

The third cylinder was the reduced powder charge using a .457" ball from Track of the Wolf that were cast by Rush Creek. The group was centered but a good 6"-8" in diameter - nothing I wanted a photo of. Looking at those cast ball it's safe to say multiple molds were used - I think they'd be fine for general plinking but here I'm trying to see what the revolver is capable of.

The trigger on this thing is fantastic - crisp with no creep. I'm looking forward to an extended range session - initial results are very promising. One of the first things to do is measure and weigh a number of the .457" ball before the next testing. Also want to see what 15 grs powder will do.

I wondered if this gun might have been put together by Hamilton Bowen - so I emailed pictures to him and asked. He said the rear sight is a Bowen but they did not do the work. He suggested Alex Hamilton in Texas who I have also emailed. He already replied and said it wasn't him either - but that it could be something special the factory did. He also related that when Bill Ruger was alive he had lots of special, one of a kind, guns built. The frame on this thing dates from the early 1980's, but who knows what the actual lineage is.

If people are interested I'll provide more range results.

I'd love to see more range action from it ! I somehow think you are going to find the sweet load for it and be out dancing a jig afterward !!

Very interesting piece. I wonder if the CC was an aftermarket touch. Looks to be bone/charcoal process vs. chemical process. Very nice. Have fun with it.

I'm enjoying this thread. I would agree, Rum River has a serious competition revolver purpose-built for winning matches. I'm not offended by anything about this revolver's appearance, and would agree the case-coloration is not unlike that seen on some old Colts. I will say the treatment of the loading lever assembly looks very unusual. The other thing is that the shoulders which were between the nipples on the original cyIinder would have had notches to engage the hammer nose, so the revolver could be safely loaded and carried with six rounds. This benefit has been lost, and I would have left that end of the cylinder alone, if it had been me. This is not a criticism, but an observation. I have been told that some serious revolver shooters will only load one chamber for shooting matches. Not one at a time, but they find which chamber shoots best, and they keep loading that one over and over. I've never witnessed such a spectacle... Just something I've heard.

My first thought, when I saw the revolver, was that it might be Hamilton Bowen's work, and I went to his website last night to see if he was offering anything similar. I didn't think of Alex Hamilton, but it looks as if Rum River already checked with both of these expert gunsmiths. David Clements also modified Ruger Old Army revolvers, and it might be worth checking with him. In fact, for a long time he had a five-shot .50 caliber Old Army conversion offered as a package deal, but I don't see this on his website (Clements Custom Guns) now. It was a beast.

I hope Rum River will keep us posted as he "wrings out" this revolver. It's an interesting piece!

Back