• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A Very Unique Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw this today and surprised myself by buying it immediately.
First thing that got my attention was the case hardening, then the cylinder.
The hammer I'm not super crazy about - but it is unique as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how many of the cylinders on my other revolvers will work on the loading tool.
I've never seen one like it - so I'm assuming it's something someone designed and built on their own.

Ruger 1.jpg
Ruger 2.jpg
Ruger 3.jpg
Cylinder loader.jpg

Were they shaving off metal to lighten it up for matches??? I’m guessing the fellow found his more accurate target load and took the excess right off of the face of the cylinder and threaded the barrel back to meet it, not to mention removing metal off of the rear of the cylinder too.

Holes in the hammer make it light and moves faster. Improves lock time. How did you come across this? I’m in the market for a pistol and gunbroker isn’t showing much for options right now.

I work at a gunshop in central Minnesota. A fellow with a large collection has sold a number of pieces to the store over the years. This was in the latest batch. The managers know my interests and told me about this one. I just spent the last 45 minutes looking online and haven't found another specimen anywhere that's even similar to this.

The short cylinder would reduce the charge. The case hardening is pretty. The skeletonized hammer reduces lock time. The removal of the dividers between the nipples was stupid and now a safety problem. The dividers are there to reduce chain fires.

Were they shaving off metal to lighten it up for matches??? I’m guessing the fellow found his more accurate target load and took the excess right off of the face of the cylinder and threaded the barrel back to meet it, not to mention removing metal off of the rear of the cylinder too.
Good for the minimum charges used in target matches. Obviates the need for cream of wheat or other fillers designed to place the loaded ball just below flush with the face of the cylinder.
@Scota@4570, I’ll bet the caps he used fit those nipples very very well. Iv seen similar rugers and a Remington or two as well, years ago, and it didn’t seem to be an issue in the target matches the guns were built for.

The hammer looks god awful, and the color case sloppy.

Glad you enjoy it, though.

EDIT: What is going on with that stunted cylinder?!? Truly a hideous gun!
Not hideous, but rather a purpose built gun. Many, myself included, may not exactly care for the aesthetics of it, but could see someone building/owning a gun like this for SASS. Fast smooth action, minimum recoil, reliability of Ruger..... that said, if given the opportunity, would also buy immediately, although I would prefer fixed rear sight given the choice.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have about two dozen different cap-n-ball, from a Walker on down to a Colt '49 - with the usual smattering of Remingtons, Colt Armies and fixed sight Rugers in between.

My diseased-but-still-somewhat-young hands are no longer capable of cocking a Remington one-handed, certainly not the Walker. Two handed things go reasonably well with all of them. Recoil has begun causing problems, however.

While this latest acquisition is no way 'period correct', and as I said earlier is definitely "unique", it's also custom built for a very light charge that I won't have to top off with cream of wheat, corn flakes, shredded wheat or rice krispies - plus I can easily cock it one handed.

Tomorrow I think I'll take my stupid, god awful, sloppy, hideous revolver to my own private backyard range and just have a hell of a good time.

Not hideous, but rather a purpose built gun. Many, myself included, may not exactly care for the aesthetics of it, but could see someone building/owning a gun like this for SASS. Fast smooth action, minimum recoil, reliability of Ruger..... that said, if given the opportunity, would also buy immediately, although I would prefer fixed rear sight given the choice.
Yep. If it’d shown up on gunbroker or something I’d have been bidding like crazy! Enjoy your pistol @Rum River !

Rum River,
Please let us know how it handles, preferred loads, accuracy, and so forth. I've never imagined a ROA modified to that extent and I'm curious how it will do.

Jeff

Somebody really went to extremes to try for an ultimate competition revolver. I have to admire the thought, work and money that was applied to this pistol. While undoubtedly unique, it was someone's dream gun obviously....and I hope it does as was intended for you as well. I would worry a little about the nipples sitting out there exposed like they are, but to each their own. I've got my fingers crossed for you with this one...please update and let us know how well it does for you.

Unique look for a great handgun. The bluing and the caseharden parts really compliment each other. Someone put a lot of time and thought into producing this handgun.
Let us know, if possible with photos, how your range session works out for you.

I kind of like it. The case coloring doesn't appear to be very bright but a great contrast to the bluing on the rest of the gun. Makes my factory gun look rather plain. This gun probably would have come home with me too, even if just until the novelty wore off. Looks like it would be fun to play with and work up a load for.

Back