• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Krist percussion cylinder for Ruger old army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mousegunguy

40 Cal
Reaction score
For anyone on the fence about getting one of the newly produced Ruger Old army replacement percussion cylinders by Krist ….
They are pricey compared to most other percussion revolver cylinders but I haven’t seen any other ROA cylinders for sale in years.
I ordered the cylinder which showed up at my door the next day!
It came with a six ROA factory type nipples already installed.
As of now they only sell the replacement cylinder in Stainless, no blued or fluted.
It fit and worked perfectly in ROAs made in 1972, 1973, 1977, 2 1988s & a 1995 model.
The finish is a bit rough but I’m betting I could shine it up.
I do like that it is a smooth cylinder & has no black powder warnings.
The original cylinder is on the left, new Krist cylinder is in the right. I hope they make a fluted version in the future.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I’m hoping to get out and do some blasting as soon as it warms up a bit.
I’ll check back in and let y’all know how it went.

Last edited:
I for one would luv to see how this works out. The few times I had a couple extra bucks and looked for a roa spare stainless cylinder i either couldn't find one or could've doubled the price and bought another full gun.

My blue cyl. needs a bit of fitting; the little pin in the front needs to be shortened just a couple thousandths. Haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Sometimes these do need a bit of fitting, they're not all drop in. My R&S and Uberti's fit perfectly.

It's a great idea for those places where items like this are freely available. Not so much here in Europe where the importer would have to arrange for each one to be proofed before he could sell it to a member of the public, One other thing that's going to make you guys laff your sox off, if it wasn't so 'darn' sad - one of these spare cylinders is counted as a firearm - all by itself - in many countries where registration is compulsory and firearms are limited by law.

Sure, I could have one here in UK, but here it's another 'gun'.

One other thing that's going to make you guys laff your sox off, if it wasn't so 'darn' sad - one of these spare cylinders is counted as a firearm - all by itself - in many countries where registration is compulsory and firearms are limited by law.

Sure, I could have one here in UK, but here it's another 'gun'
And here on the other side of the pond, being percussion revolver neither the ‘gun’ or a spare cylinder are considered a firearm in most jurisdictions. Not laughing, our day may be coming…..

Are these strictly a replacement or do they have added capacity like the ones that used to be available about 10 years ago?

Are these strictly a replacement or do they have added capacity like the ones that used to be available about 10 years ago?
I believe they hold the same as a factory cylinder…not %100 sure tho
Now I’m gonna hafta go check & I’ll let ya know what’s what.

I'm a firm Believer it's your money spend how you want,but I really just plain can't wrap my head around buying cylinder to shoot unmentionables in a cap and ball revolver,I get the buying for the gray area by law,but not just to shoot brass cartridges,especially in a ROA that is basically a Blackhawk??
I do have and shoot a lot a 1851 Navy Mason Richards conversion and I like it a lot,but I personally can't wrap my head around using conversion cylinder in a 1851 Navy,or any other cap and ball.
Not trying to be obnoxious but I really don't understand the point.
Can someone explain?

I'm a firm Believer it's your money spend how you want,but I really just plain can't wrap my head around buying cylinder to shoot unmentionables in a cap and ball revolver,I get the buying for the gray area by law,but not just to shoot brass cartridges,especially in a ROA that is basically a Blackhawk??
I do have and shoot a lot a 1851 Navy Mason Richards conversion and I like it a lot,but I personally can't wrap my head around using conversion cylinder in a 1851 Navy,or any other cap and ball.
Can someone explain?
It a percussion cylinder not a conversion cylinder….
Lighten up Francis !!

I had to send mine in for service like 20-25 years ago and it was returned repaired and with a NEW BLUED cylincomplementaryetry! Fit perfect. Maybe they knew they were gonna bail and were getting rid of stock? Anway mine fit and preformed perfectly and also had factory nipples.

Can someone explain?
Explain what? You can’t wrap your head around a replacement percussion cylinder? Or can’t or won’t read?

It a percussion cylinder not a conversion cylinder….
Lighten up Francis !!

Explain what? You can’t wrap your head around a replacement percussion cylinder? Or can’t or won’t read?

My apologies, your both correct I was knee deep in the wobbly pops😔
I seen Krist and my fuzzy half knockerd brain thought cartridge cylinder.
Definitely wrong thread and not something I normally would ask,but it is something I'm very curious about.
My apologies again for screwing up OPs thread.

My apologies, your both correct I was knee deep in the wobbly pops😔
I seen Krist and my fuzzy half knockerd brain thought cartridge cylinder.
Definitely wrong thread and not something I normally would ask,but it is something I'm very curious about.
My apologies again for screwing up OPs thread.
✌️ No worries ya Old Grunt!
Thanks for teachin’ me a new phrase.
I had to look up ‘Wobbly Pop’

It's a great idea for those places where items like this are freely available. Not so much here in Europe where the importer would have to arrange for each one to be proofed before he could sell it to a member of the public, One other thing that's going to make you guys laff your sox off, if it wasn't so 'darn' sad - one of these spare cylinders is counted as a firearm - all by itself - in many countries where registration is compulsory and firearms are limited by law.

Sure, I could have one here in UK, but here it's another 'gun'.
It warms my heart to know that all the idiot politicians aren't living in the US. We should share the misery.

I haven't shot my ROA in years,.not sure why.

Latest posts

Back