• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Ruger Old Army questions...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joining the ROA Gang! Howdy, figured this was an appropriate thread to show my new purchase! From 1979, a bit of pitting on the front underside and on the front sight, but she cleaned up real nicely! Looked much dirtier before I gave it a once-over.

Shown with my custom 4.5lbs stainless steel keyboard

Attachments

• B98DA5F2-E47C-423F-9CA3-C59111E1F604.jpeg
    B98DA5F2-E47C-423F-9CA3-C59111E1F604.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Joining the ROA Gang! Howdy, figured this was an appropriate thread to show my new purchase! From 1979, a bit of pitting on the front underside and on the front sight, but she cleaned up real nicely! Looked much dirtier before I gave it a once-over.

Shown with my custom 4.5lbs stainless steel keyboard
Congrats! You'll love it and I'd bet that it won't be your last.

Though there are many of them out there, they are a disappearing breed and should only increase in value.

Got my 1st ROA last year, like new in box, but wish I'd been gathering them all along, as they 'slept' until the recent gun-n-ammo shortage. Just like I also wish I'd bought Ruger and S&W stock back in the 1980's!

I got the Slixprings extended ramrod Friday afternoon. It only comes "in the white". I took some steel wool to it and several coats of perma blue. After oiling it up, I think it looks rather well. It isn't a perfect match, but nothing ever is. The rammer itself seems the be of good quality, the fit and finish is spot on and even seems smoother overall than the original. Not that there is anything wrong with the original, but mine is a 1974 model and manufacturing has come a ways since then. Either way, It will only be installed while shooting reduced charges and round ball. I had loaded 30 grains with the original rammer and then installed the extended and it pushed the ball somewhere between and 1/8 and a 1/4 inch further in. I will be officially trying it out tomorrow with my new slixshot nipples. Will let you know how it turns out. It looks better in the picture than it does in real life. This is the first thing I have ever blued, perhaps there are better products or methods that could achieve an even closer match.

The red photo is not my photo, it's just to show what it looks like new. I forgot to take pics before I got to work on it.
I'm wondering when you talk of compressing fhe load are you speaking of compressing the powder column before seating the ball ?

Last edited:
Try 40 gr of 2F, greased felt wad, and .457" rb. I get my felt from durofelt and punch them out myself, 50/50 mutton tallow and beeswax. If you call Durofelt, they will know just what you need, and sell lanolin for lube as well. I had to move back to 50 yards to get meaningful variations in group size while tuning this load.

My ROA will stay right with any centerfire handgun I own for accuracy when loaded carefully. 2F and the wad keep fouling soft, so you can shoot more between wipe-downs.

Back