• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A plea for help finding...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanatim

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have wanted a double 12ga WITH CHOKES for some time, Cabela's showed one on their web site as recently as a couple of months ago. Gone now. Now that I'm in a place to afford one, the only ones on there now say "slightly choked". I want screw in or mod/full.

Does anyone know of one somewhere? I checked all the online auctions already.

Thanks for your help I'm really frustrated at this point. I have a CVA cyl/cyl.

As an alternitive who could work on one of the "slightly choked" ones and take apart the barrels and choke them mod/full?

Do you want a gun with multichoke barrels or a gun with choked barrels ?
Pedersoli used to make a gun with multichokes and there are still some around but you'll have to search for one .
Pedersoli make a couple of guns with barrels that are choked cyl/mod if that is of any interest to you .

Experimenting with powder , shot loads and especially type of wad can dramatically alter shot patterns and may give you the result you want , even with cylinder barrels .

Jug choke?

I had pedersoli 10 GA chrome lined dbl barrel with choke tubes. They are out there. Wait for a used one the new ones are way to much. I'd like that same one in 20 GA myself.

I have been searching, That's the reason for this post, to see if anyone out there can point one out to me.

I would take a "multi-choke" which I would call screw in chokes, or fixed/permenent chokes in full/mod.

Anybody have a friend or co-worker that has one and is not really into blackpowder ask for me please.

Any reputable gunsmith can tap your barrels for whatever brand screw in chokes you want. Folks that buy used shotguns have it done regularly. And since your CVA SxS has two cylinder barrels already, he wouldn’t have to cut any off the barrels to alleviate a fixed choke.

Might have a hard time finding someone, even a place like Briley, that will ream out the existing choke because almost all the replica shotguns have chrome lined bores that chew up the reamers.

I have been looking for someone to ream out chromed bores AND jug choke what's left.
No luck at all.
Can't even find the tooling to try the jug-choking myself.

You might be right... I was in Germany I know Europeans would sent them various antique doubles with fixed chokes and they would fit them with custom thin walled chokes ... My Merkel has briley chokes... I am by no means an expert on you can or can't install chokes other than I have seen various barrels sent to them and they come back with tubes...

montanatim said:
I have wanted a double 12ga WITH CHOKES for some time, Cabela's showed one on their web site as recently as a couple of months ago. Gone now. Now that I'm in a place to afford one, the only ones on there now say "slightly choked". I want screw in or mod/full.

Does anyone know of one somewhere? I checked all the online auctions already.

Thanks for your help I'm really frustrated at this point. I have a CVA cyl/cyl.

As an alternitive who could work on one of the "slightly choked" ones and take apart the barrels and choke them mod/full?

No help here. Just :2
I once had a double ml shotgun that was choked. Hardest, most frustrating :cursing: dagnabed thing to load you can, or cannot, imagine. I finally sold it happily shortly before running it over with my truck.
Reason: Putting proper fitting wads down the bore past the choke to load is/was impossible. And if I used wads that would clear the choke they had a lot of blow-by giving lousy patterns and the unfired barrel had wads and shot move off the charge. On ml shotguns I have used that are cylinder bored I have seen great patterns and with no issues when loading. OK, I've blown off my steam. Hope whatever ye settle on works for ye. :v

TIM! :grin:

I would take a "multi-choke" which I would call screw in chokes, or fixed/permenent chokes in full/mod.

OK so you missed Britsmoothy's comment....,

Get any cylinder bore, muzzle loading shotgun, of the gauge of your choice...,

THEN have the barrels jug choked.
Which is a few inches from the muzzle, the interior of the bore(s) are slightly, permanently opened with a tool. When fired, the shot column expands into the slightly wider area as it moves towards the muzzle. THEN when the shot column passes this wider area, it compresses back down to the original barrel diameter for the last inch or two, which causes the "choking" action on the shot column as it exits the barrel(s) and flies down range. :wink:

Britsmoothy uses shotguns a lot and he had good results in doing this, so I for one would take his suggestion.

LD

I had one and the saying: "wanting is often better than having" fit the bill very well with it. Getting components past the choke tubes and then hoping they would re-expand to keep the load solidly over the powder, especially in the unfired barrel was always a worry of mine; and frankly by shooting square or un-squared loads, depending on what I needed, gave me as good a pattern as I was able to get out of the choke tubed shotgun.

Flintlocks Etc. has them.

Look under:

Specials
Rifles
Bottom of the listing, modified and full as you wish.

Also, call Cherry's to see what they have that is not listed on their web site.

I don't know if I'd put choke tubes on a ML shotgun because I'd worry the choke threads would get fouled up and rusted to the barrels. I would think you'd need a lot more attention to the muzzles.

I once saw a fine Damascus CF shotgun with Briley exterior choke tubes. It looked awful.

Folks keep mentioning getting "components" past a choke and finding it difficult!
I never did!!
I just used a few over shot cards that fold enough to pass the choke and then the rammer turns them flat. Easy peasy.

I have often wondered why no manufacturers offer jug choking, seem nuts to me.

B.

Smoothshooter Brownell's gunsmith supply used to sell a hone and a device to measure the inside of the barrel. The hone, I believe, was what we used to ream wheel cylinders with.

Back