• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New old stock Thomson Center New Englander 12ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Turkey season is approaching fast and the only other smoothbore I had was a Pedersoli 10ga sxs. It worked well enough for the task of turkey hunting, but I wanted something a little more focused towards the task at hand. I was tired of having to aim a little left or right while trying to make the gun shoot tighter groups. It works great for traditional "bird" hunting, but trying to shoot a turkey specifically in the head and neck, their had to be something to fill that void. I had never even heard of the TC new englander, just happened to come across it while browsing GB for a sxs with a tighter choke for turkey. After I saw the new englander I started researching it and found people love it. The one I got was unfired condition with screw
In choke. Wow this is exactly what I was looking for, I just didn't know it. Mine only
Came with a full tc choke. I read others opinions on loading through a tight choke, however I had 0 issues loading it today on it's maiden voyage. Cylinder bore is traditional 12ga at .729 and the full choke mics at .700. I ordered all the usual suspects for loading a smoothbore with shot but so far only the thin OS cards and lubed felt wads had arrived. My first best guess at a shot charge happened to be one of the best I achieved today with the limited supplies I had to tinker with and the 1 single choke.

I loaded it with the same components I load my 10ga for dove hunting.
60gr ffg OE
4 thin os cards
1 1/4 #6 shot
1 thin os card
Here's a photo of the gun and the target I shot at 25 yds today.

The ramrod sticks out past the barrel for some reason. It is 29in long and is the standard length ramrod from what I've been able to understand with my limited knowledge of the new englander. I will find out more once I disassemble it for cleaning.
Anyone's insight on the matter is appreciated.

I will post updates as the weeks progress and more patterning is done, and if I'm lucky... some hunting success!

Attachments

• 20240316_143739.jpg
    20240316_143739.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20240316_143847.jpg
    20240316_143847.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240316_200147_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240316_200147_Gallery.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240316_172426.jpg
    20240316_172426.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
OK... so now after some disassembly I came to the conclusion, others are shortening their ramrods by 15/16. How do I know this? Because there is literally a bolt going through the tang to the trigger assembly that would prevent the ramrod at 29inches from becoming flush with the end of the barrel. If anyone has done this, can someone please describe how it's done , without destroying it in the process. It has to be done. I can't stand looking at for much longer.

Or if someone has one with the screw In chokes and could measure the barrel. They are claimed to be 28" barrels. I am not sure where they take measurements from but as you can see...here is how mine measures

Attachments

• 20240317_050100.jpg
    20240317_050100.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Or if someone has one with the screw In chokes and could measure the barrel. They are claimed to be 28" barrels. I am not sure where they take measurements from but as you can see...here is how mine measures
Drop your rod down an empty barrel, mark, remove and measure. I don’t have this issue with mine, I’ll try to get down and measure this morning and report back.

@Blackpowderart, the overshot cards are really all that is needed. Three or the four that you used will serve well as the over powder wad and one overshot card will hold the shot charge in place. The bolt through the tang to the trigger plate will strengthen the wrist and shouldn't be close to stopping the ramrod. Do you have a front lock bolt? These have been known to stop the ramrod.

Turkey season is approaching fast and the only other smoothbore I had was a Pedersoli 10ga sxs. It worked well enough for the task of turkey hunting, but I wanted something a little more focused towards the task at hand. I was tired of having to aim a little left or right while trying to make the gun shoot tighter groups. It works great for traditional "bird" hunting, but trying to shoot a turkey specifically in the head and neck, their had to be something to fill that void. I had never even heard of the TC new englander, just happened to come across it while browsing GB for a sxs with a tighter choke for turkey. After I saw the new englander I started researching it and found people love it. The one I got was unfired condition with screw
In choke. Wow this is exactly what I was looking for, I just didn't know it. Mine only
Came with a full tc choke. I read others opinions on loading through a tight choke, however I had 0 issues loading it today on it's maiden voyage. Cylinder bore is traditional 12ga at .729 and the full choke mics at .700. I ordered all the usual suspects for loading a smoothbore with shot but so far only the thin OS cards and lubed felt wads had arrived. My first best guess at a shot charge happened to be one of the best I achieved today with the limited supplies I had to tinker with and the 1 single choke.

I loaded it with the same components I load my 10ga for dove hunting.
60gr ffg OE
4 thin os cards
1 1/4 #6 shot
1 thin os card
Here's a photo of the gun and the target I shot at 25 yds today.

The ramrod sticks out past the barrel for some reason. It is 29in long and is the standard length ramrod from what I've been able to understand with my limited knowledge of the new englander. I will find out more once I disassemble it for cleaning.
Anyone's insight on the matter is appreciated.

I will post updates as the weeks progress and more patterning is done, and if I'm lucky... some hunting success!
Dead bird

The nail represents where the tang bolt goes through the stock. And theb there is a screw in the trigger guard before that. The ramrod doesn't hit the screws because the ramrod hole doesn't go all that way through

Attachments

• 20240317_142430.jpg
    20240317_142430.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240317_142950.jpg
    20240317_142950.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I have a new englander for turkey...

Carlsons extended chokes..

My rod is flush... I'd like it to be longer for the extended chokes an inch anyway.

Going to be my first season with it.

I have mag spark.. musket and number 11... I might mag spark it for turkey... if it was to not fire on a Pheasant no big deal... if you just pops a cap at a turkey oh man that's a bummer lol

My rod is flush... I'd like it to be longer for the extended chokes an inch anyway.

I have mag spark.. musket and number 11... I might mag spark it for turkey... if it was to not fire on a Pheasant no big deal... if you just pops a cap at a turkey oh man that's a bummer lol
I probably put 50-60 shots through it so far without a single hiccup, but I only use real black powder. Of course when I'm going to be hunting I will inspect the cap I choose to make sure it isn't one with any sort of "defects"

30 yard target loaded same as above with a 30yd "soup can" penetration test
30 would be my max for this load....
It really starts to open up between 25 and 30 it seems. That and the 25yd was my first shot and the 30 was my last of the day, soo dirty bore had to have some effect on that.
funny you should say that...Carlson choke incoming this week....We'll see how it goes goes next weekend

Attachments

• 20240317_190452.jpg
    20240317_190452.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240317_191318.jpg
    20240317_191318.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I used musket caps all birds season without any issues... easyer to handle I think... both blackpowder and pyrodex.

I don't know for sure.. I might use musket...

even the 209. If there's any little thing there oil etc.. it won't send it either.. doesn't make it that much more reliable

@Blackpowderart, the overshot cards are really all that is needed. Three or the four that you used will serve well as the over powder wad and one overshot card will hold the shot charge in place. The bolt through the tang to the trigger plate will strengthen the wrist and shouldn't be close to stopping the ramrod. Do you have a front lock bolt? These have been known to stop the ramrod.
Well I hope your right I’ve been told by a few from cross the pond the same so pretty soon I we’ll be able to vouch for that first hand so I hope it works too 👍

I have the wonderwads but I couldn't find
A place to use them so far... all my patterns have been just with the thin over shot cards. Different amounts of powder and shot. That's what I do for dove season in my pedersoli.... but to get turkey pattern in the pedersoli 10ga I use
70gr swiss ffg
1 Thin os card
1 3/4 scoop corn meal
1 thin os card
1 3/4 #6 lead
1/2in fiber wad soaked with vegetable oil

It's a play on capandball and skychief...this is what I got at 25 with that gun. Gotta zoom in cause there's several in the brain that didn't show up. And the pattern is still a little left at 25 yards.

Attachments

• 20240303_174022.jpg
    20240303_174022.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240318_200620_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_200620_Gallery.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Tc makes en extend ramrod. I just bought one on ebay. I don't have it yet, but it says on the package it's standard length for new englander 12ga and I had the guy measure it and it's 29in.
9104 is the model number.
I just bought it because it's fiberglass and I have broken ramrods before , so I wanted to get ahead of it when I came across it.
Now I'm wondering if the ones without chokes have an inch longer barrel because yours is 28 and flush and the rid I bought is 29 and "standard length"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240318_201301_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_201301_Chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240318_201236_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_201236_Chrome.jpg
    949 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back