• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chokes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have many reproduction and original smoothbores that I use with shot. This year I shot great with one in Wyoming and other places, did pretty good on ducks with another. With a gun that fits me very well I have done mediocre. While the gauge sizes are different on some, the load is the same. I wondered about patterns and then choke. I got down in the barrel and measured the bore diameter down by the breach and then the constrictions near the muzzle. What I found out was interesting. A 13-bore marked Cyl/Mod is actually TIght IC adn IM as far as constriction. The patterns are consistent with the measurements. The 12-bore that I used for ducks has screw-in choke tubes. Sure enough, the IC and IM tubes are in there and they measure the same constriction as the 13. No wonder I was about equally effective with either using the same load. Another 19-gauge that I have been real effective with was not marked at all, but showed Cylinder and Tight IC for choking. Lastly, the one that had me wondering the most was a 24-gauge. It fits me the best but I am less effective and when I hit something, I tend to get few pellets on the target, even with a 7/8 oz load that is the same as I use in all the other guns. Well the 24 has a true cylinder and the left barrel is just .002 tighter making it essentially a loose skeet at most. When patterning, I had nice, full and round patterns at 15-20 yards and then they started to fall apart. For the few more wild bird hunts this year I am going to stick to the 13-gauge, as the chokes and patterns are effective to a full 35-yards and it's one of the lightest guns I have. For "club" birds that are left-over from other "hunts" when they were released, any of these should do. Basically, I reminded myself of the importance of patterning and load development. You have to know the effective range of the pattern so you can calculate if you're shooting is on par and if the game is in effective range.

So true that you have to know your effective ranges. So many people just go out and shoot and wonder why they miss!

Back