• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chokes or no Chokes for Turkey Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If so desirable it seems the majority of comments were negative! I personally have one of each and turkey hunt with the screw in. One shot one kill for turkey, you do not need to worry about how long it takes to load it. The pattern is what counts for me and although a jug choke throws a hell of a pattern it will not be as tight as mine with a screw in. But that’s just me. They haven’t made these in 30 so years and if I was so against a screw in barrel and one showed up I would not hesitate to cut the 11/2” off to get what I want. Just sayin!!! Reds

I have a dbl 20GA that was cyl bore. I played wit Skychief loads and got a no problem patern at 25 yds. The I sent to Caywood for jug choking cuz it seemed the thing to do. It didnt go well as I had requested a immedte turn around as turkey season was going on the day I mailed it an wanted to use it that year. Long story short I called him one time too many (as he didnt answer, I kept calling) and he let both barrels fly at me. I didnt say another word. Got the gun back n 2-3 weeks and it was such a bad taste I have yet to shoot and see how it did. I hear good things about his work.

IMHO yer getting a TC, a TC is not a historcal weapon, just duplicating same. If you want tubes get tubes. If you get another more "upper class" shot gun keep that one as is. Maybe JiM K will hear us whine long enough to put out a fowler, thats one to keep as is in my book. A TC though?, tubes, saw off what ever. Do yer own thing.

Last edited:
I don't have any jug choked guns but do have several choked muzzle loading shotguns though none are screw-in. I've never had any problem loading them because of the chokes. There are many ways to get past the chokes, card wads bent into a cresent and inserted sideways and then flattened out with the ramrod , felt wads work well, flax, tow, wasp nests, folded paper, corn meal and the list goes on. Every barrel has it's own preferences. Find a shotgun you like and then soot it to find out what loading works for it and for you. Seems to me the screw in chokes would only add two small steps in the cleaning. Unsrew the choke before scrubbing the barrel out, then grease with some choke tube grease when you screw it back in.

I have a dbl 20GA that was cyl bore. I played wit Skychief loads and got a no problem patern at 25 yds. The I sent to Caywood for jug choking cuz it seemed the thing to do. It didnt go well as I had requested a immedte turn around as turkey season was going on the day I mailed it an wanted to use it hat year. Long story short I called him one time too many (as he didnt answer, I kept calling)and he let both barrels fly at me. I didnt say another word. Got the gun back n 203 weeks and it was suc a bad taste I have yet to shoot and see how it did. I head good things about his work.

IMHO yer getting a TC, a TC is not a historcal weapon, just duplicating same. If you want tubes get tubes. If you get another more "upper class" shot gun keep that one as is. Maybe JiM K will hear us whine long enough to put out a fowler, thats one to keep as is in my book. A TC though?, tubes, saw off what ever. Do yer own thing.
Two hundred and three weeks! That's 1421 days or 3.95 years (rounded off)! Holy manure! I'd be ticked off too!

opps. I corrected to 2-3 weeks. Which is really pretty reasonable except I was made to expect it MUCH sooner and then he went off on me. We all have a bad doy. No ill feelings and I could feel the job, xpecting to be well pleased when I "get a rontuit"

opps. I corrected to 2-3 weeks. Which is really pretty reasonable except I was made to expect it MUCH sooner and then he went off on me. We all have a bad doy. No ill feelings and I could feel the job, xpecting to be well pleased when I "get a rontuit"
That's far more reasonable than 203 WEEKS. Heck I was nearly ready to take up arms against this feller in your behalf!

Dedicated turkey fowler - jugged choke. Flexibility - shot and round ball cylinder. All depends on how you want to use your hunting tools in my mind.

Just got my jug choked fusil 20 ga. Back from being jug choked. Still need more time to get the load down but at 25 yards so far its looking good.

Is it me or did i miss something.. jugged to full ... is it a full choke gun with a jug?

Jug to cylinders?

The jug choke 1874

A fixed choked barrel.. 1866

Precution caps.. 1822

A jug choke to full... flinter. Doesn't seem to fit its time period either?

if it has not been said #1 you dont have to remove the choke to load, use felt wonder wads. #2 you can use a cylinder bored choke tube if you dont want a choke but always have the option. can also load hard wads/cards with the cyl. tube in [ better than pushing the hard cards over the bare threads] then put in the full or turkey tube, you will only get one shot anyway. my 2 cents for free

I have made flintlock guns with jug chokes that will kill turks to 50 yards, perhaps beyond. 10,11 and 12 bores. Loads are quite heavy, up to 2.5oz plated shot and equal volume of powder. Not for the faint of heart.
I have two 8 bores to make this winter.
I usually shoot 3.5" 2-2.5oz shells out of the 870 super mag with between .660 - .665 choke. They kick hard and are deadly accurate with a tight pattern to 40-50 yards. Just want to try something different. I'm not against a jug choke. Just have to find a new gun or barrel for for my CVA Hawken. I was hoping someone could make a 1" octagon barrel out to 13.5" at the end of the nose cap. Then start rounding down to the muzzle.

I have made flintlock guns with jug chokes that will kill turks to 50 yards, perhaps beyond. 10,11 and 12 bores. Loads are quite heavy, up to 2.5oz plated shot and equal volume of powder. Not for the faint of heart.
I have two 8 bores to make this winter.
How much powder would a hunter typically put in an 8 bore?

Latest posts

Back