• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need help with DIY wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because you blamed me for something for which I was not guilty
Perhaps my memory is failing old chap, I don't recall actually blaming you directly publicly.
I do recall querying why a chief constable from your area would get in touch with mine when at the time no one else from your area was on line here.
But let's no get bogged down in all that nonsense.
Now, let's get back to the discussion.
Are you suggesting all knowledgeable one that thin cards will cause a barrel failure? Or are you demonstrating that the person that loaded that gun barrel you display used the wrong size rammer?

I still didn't find a good material for felt wads but I have a variety of nice cardboard in different thicknesses that I will try.

Definitely check out the Skychief load (posted as a sticky).
As far as wads go, here is what I use:

wad-c_1.jpg

12 gauge, .740" ideal for .729" bore, .500" thick fibre wad, 500, by Circle Fly Wads - Track of the Wolf
I wasn't able to find that kind of wads here in Europe.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Notices/AboutUs.aspx
Here is TOTW's contact page. Call them and see if they'll ship to Europe.

Otherwise, here is a list of Circle Fly's distributors. One of them is bound to be willing to ship across the pond.

https://circlefly.com/buy

I'm guessing part of that load moved up the barrel after loading due to excessive air pressure. a sideways over shot isn't likely to become an obstruction. If it was we'd see all kinds of this.
if you use a wad especially a overshot wad less than a 16 thick it can happen and does happen always take heed ad if in doubt enter a thick wad and force both down onto the shot. Been careless or adamant that it will never happen to me will maybe end with minus some fingers or a hand .
Feltwad

Using card wads less than 16 can be dangerous because when ramming a single wad down onto powder the ramrod can often bypass the wad leaving it on the side of the barrel wall , it then become a obstructionView attachment 219242 and when the gun is fired can end like the enclosed image
Feltwad
Ooh! I hate when that happens! Ramrod tip needs to be closer to the actual bore size.

Hi everyone!
I'm looking to buy my first BP firearm.
I think I'll go with the Pedersoli double barrel classic in 12 ga without removable chokes. I believe one side is cylinder and the other is improved cylinder.
I want to make my own wads since they are way to overpriced, $20-30 per 200 cork wads plus shipping.

I have some decent cardboard that I could use for over shot but I need help with the size of the punch and wad thickness. I'm from Europe so I'll list it in metric.

I've read that a 19 mm hole punch fits perfectly but I would like to get a hole saw and to sharpen it to use it on a drill press.
It seems easier and with a cleaner cut. I found online 21 and 22 mm sizes. I don't know which one should I get so I get 19 mm once I ground it down. Does anyone have experience with it?

The cork sheets that I found are sold in 4, 6 and 10 mm.
Which one would be thick enough without being too thick to jamm it down the barrel?

I would load lead shot for clay pigeon recreational shooting.

I will probably get a response "you should try it out to see what works best for you" but I don't have a big backyard where I can test it out and I have to order everything online so any help would be appreciated.
19 mm works for 12ga and so does a hole punch ,do not overthink this , hole punch bought lasts forever , I use Harbor Freight here in the U.S. of A .whole set for $15.00 +enough punches to cover all the other sizes you need for your growing collection ! And I do not use cards just Felt wads from Dura Felt , they do well and get past my Pedersoli screw in chokes and I use both dry and lubed ./Ed

On Facebook, try asking Dixon Muzzleloaders. Greg and Brenda are most helpful and will provide the information you will need. They also have the wads in stock, should you choose to go that route.

NOPE Time to learn something new!!! /Ed
Learn away. I shot 100s of rounds of skeet everyday for a week when I was shooting competitively at friendship. 1 pou d of powder every day. I f I was making my own cards and wads that would be all I ever did. I suppose it would work for re reational shooting .

Sure does as few ever get to Friendship much less compete ,I'm more into hunting and target use like the majority of folks here . I only go thru a 1/2 LB of OE shooting long range one day a week @ our private 700 yd range and that' starting to hurt the wallet at todays prices . Being a retired shooter gets harder every day for us average folks !

Latest posts

Back