• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wow, prices for new Pedersoli rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just checking out the new Pedersoli 1857 "Mauser" , at about $1500, wow, that better be a nice rifle......

I must admit I want one pretty bad.......but at double what you can find their Springfields and Enfields for , I would hope it has a match grade barrel.....

It makes sense, since a lot of re-enactors or people who just watched Glory want Enfields and Springfields , or the casual shooter wants a "Civil War Musket" so they move a lot of them......but the average Moe isn't looking for an 1857 Wurttemburscher rifle in .547 caliber that uses its own conical bullet :)

Cabelas just had a sale on the Pedersoli 61 Springfields at $720....they're sold out now, had I not just bought a pair of Parker Hale musketoons I'd have jumped on one but I don't need another .58 right now, my handgun collection is redundant enough.....

My "gun friends" go into shock when I talk about how I am looking at a $1500 Pedersoli rifle (or "musket" like most other people call them) and to them that's what they call "high end AR or 1911 money who's paying that for a blackpowder gun?????" I'm like , people do trust me.......then I tell them about Romano Rifles , where he gets upwards of $3000 for repros of CSA muzzleloading rifles, double that and then some if you want one of his breechloaders or the Spencer......

I've been into Muzzle loaders for over 2 decades. it's only been in the last two or three years I've realized the value in spending a grand on a kit I have to build myself..

These guns really shouldn't be this expensive; but they are, and some of us think they are worth it or they wouldn't be. So; since I want a real (semi) custom gun I will spend the money on that kit I will then "have to" build.

But.. I enjoy such endeavors and in my later years I'm more than willing to spend this money to get a product that I not only will enjoy the end product, but will enjoy immensely the journey!

Untill I've saved the funds I will settle for shooting my not so expensive Traditions Hawken Woodsman; and dream of the day I get to fire the first shot from the Kibler kit I intend to one day own!

Nothing wrong with the Traditions 'Hawken' Woodsman. It obviously is NOT a copy of anything remotely like a Hawken but...............factory rifles tend to work unlike a lot of 'custom' rifles. If you are not attending juried reenacting events as a participant, Traditions, Pedersoli, old T/Cs and as much as I hate to admit it, Lymans will serve you well. A couple Traditions, a couple Lymans, T/Cs, and a lot of Pedersolis will be just fine for most rondezvous as they tend not to be so strict with HC/PC. Of course if your eventual desire is to attend events as a participant and portray a persona as realistically as possible, factory guns usually won't cut it. I've been shooting BP for a long time and every Traditions firearm I've purchased and or shot worked just fine. They also tended to be very accurate once a load was developed. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Check out my completed Kibler...

Personally agree with you, these firearms are vastly overpriced and from my experience they leave allot to be desired... The resale value of a production gun will never value that of a quality built kit. That's one of the main reasons I build. Besides value I have a high quality piece that will be passed down to my kids and grandchildren one day that was built with my hands.

The world of flinters is a fine line, no substitute for quality. My money would be spent on a fine kit. However one needs to examine their needs and wants and building sometimes isn't in the favor of the user.

I just bought a Pedersoli Scout Carbine in 50 caliber used off Gunbroker. It sells new for $750 at Dixie and I paid $365 for my very clean used gun. And I don't understand why BP rifles cost so much. Most of my smokeless rifles were $500 or less and have far more machine work involved to build them. I have 3 center fire rifles that were in the $750 range. I bought my son a Ruger Red Label shotgun I gave $1,300 for several years ago.

When I started BP back in the early 90s most sidehammer guns were around the $200 mark. Those same guns now cost $600 if they are even still made. About 1995 I paid $240 for my GP rifle from Natchez Shooters Supply. And I thought about it for a while before I let go of the money.

I am liquidating a few of my guns because I am considering a TVM Southern rifle. I need to sell some before I buy more. I look at TOW at the custom built guns but just cannot see spending $3000 for such a gun. But you never know. :shake: :youcrazy:

burlesontom said:
just cannot see spending $3000

There indeed is a reason for the price. Each rifle is built by hand, not by a machine on a assembly line but from someone who is a true craftsman. You absolutely have to love such rifles to invest such time building and certainly the money. I can assure you, the difference between a pedersoli and custom rifle is like comparing a brick to a bar of gold.

Production guns lack the heart and soul that custom guns do. They are not just a rifle, but an extension of it's creator, a true work of art no production gun can rival, not to mention the quality.

Now nothing wrong with production guns! For many they will do everything you'll ever want and most are content right there. The majority of individuals rather dabble in the BP world, but when you become engrossed within the community your done for! Especially when you get that bar of gold in your hands! :thumbsup:

I'm looking for a "range banger" and I'm probably gonna look for deals on one of the Chiappa "special contract" 1863 rifles , which is pretty much an 1863 Springfield. I don't want to beat up my Parker-Hale with winter range shooting this season , since I love to shoot tons of whatever I can get affordably , usually patched RB with Goex 2f, until I start casting.

Italian is Italian to me, Pedersoli is just a better finished Chiappa, I've owned or handled plenty of both. If you're gonna shoot em , I'm ok with a $750 repop. None of them are real so IMO buy what appeals to you.

Im able to convince myself that Parker Hale is worth the $$$ for a good used one because they're a "less repro more continuation" if that makes sense, in other words they're the best of the repops and there's only so many out there.

It's like the Pietta vs Uberti debate, both of them shoot , just Uberti is the "little bit better fitted" one.

I recently bought an original near mint 1853 Springfield. Bright shinny bore. $1800. If I'm going to pay that much it must have appreciation potential.

Gene L said:
tenngun said:
I wonder that some isn’t related to sales volume, the fewer the sales for a style the greater per unit.

That's not the way economics usually works.

???? I seem to have noted that companies selling widgets can cut the price the more they sell. HC ML stuff tends to be higher in general then modren stuff, because we are a fringe market. Budweiser tends to be cheaper then a craft beer that makes a thousand barrels a year. :idunno:

I tend towards picking up used rifles to tinker with, the more pyrodex pits the better. Rebore is a relatively inexpensive means for me to enjoy various aspects of the hobby.

Even reenactors want $600 for used, field rashed Armi Sport Enfields and Springfields, I'm like, these are $200 guns at best in that condition......it's like they forget they're repros.

Hi crewdawg445. I know what it takes to make them. I have watched many videos on youtube and done a lot of reading on building the guns. I wish I had the skill and I would buy one of the Kibler kits and do one myself. Then maybe advance to a real custom build with a rough sawn stock and all the parts. But I would more likely buy one already built by a craftsman with a reputation for making them in the old style. Maybe some day...

burlesontom said:
But I would more likely buy one already built by a craftsman with a reputation for making them in the old style. Maybe some day...

https://youtu.be/bAzJOULyx5c

This "is" the old style, doing it this way will make ten Franklins seem like loose change! :)

Hope you enjoy the video, a VERY good watch, one of my absolute favorite videos to date!

tenngun said:
Gene L said:
tenngun said:
I wonder that some isn’t related to sales volume, the fewer the sales for a style the greater per unit.

That's not the way economics usually works.

???? I seem to have noted that companies selling widgets can cut the price the more they sell. HC ML stuff tends to be higher in general then modren stuff, because we are a fringe market. Budweiser tends to be cheaper then a craft beer that makes a thousand barrels a year. :idunno:

Generally, if you can't sell an item you drop the price. Once sales go up, you raise the price to the point where you reach a price you can sell in quantity and reduce the individual price per unit.If you only produce 10 Mausers per year, it has intrinsic value as a rarity. If it's recognized as a very special rifle. But if it's' a production gun and it doesn't sell, time to reduce price to get rid of inventory. Dixie GW offers them at $1100, out of stock.

The $1100 one was a show demo with rust, they have the 1857 Wurttembirscher rifle for $1600. The Lorenz isn't too far behind.......

I would love one of those "Mausers" but yeah that's expensive. You could find a Hoyt relined Enfield or Springfield for that money and shoot the real deal,that will hold its value.

Back