• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil War Cased Target Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been focused exclusively on flintlocks for more than a decade, but about a year ago in a moment of weakness I got a Pedersoli 1859 Berdan Sharps. Ive been having fun learning the in’s and outs of paper cartridges. As I looked into the history of US Sharpshooters, an infatuation developed for the civilian target rifles used by some sharpshooters in addition to their Sharps.

One thing led to another, and I decided that the Pedersoli Tryon Rifle would, short of starting from scratch, be the best option to start with. Dixie had it in stock, so . . .

4C248563-6126-4FED-9C5E-5DAFF000779F.jpeg

The Pedersoli Tryon was about perfect for a late civilian rifle. It has a back action lock which was common to the target rifles used by sharpshooters. The 32” x 1” barrel makes it a little heavier than most production muzzleloader. Plus unlike some of the “Hawkens” and similar rifles, it is a pretty close replica of a historic rifle. I’m really impressed with the quality of the Pedersoli. Fit and finish is some of the best I’ve seen on production muzzleloader.
C69D96A7-D061-4ED1-AB58-E4A725919BBA.jpeg

70248441-F91A-460E-B445-92863466AFD0.jpeg

Though some might consider it blasphemy to put a scope on a muzzleloader, it is correct for the civilian rifles used by sharpshooters, so I went with a Hi-Lux Malcolm 6x scope with the new sliding mounts. The company was great to deal with and everything is high quality. The new sliding mount fits directly in the rifle’s dovetails, and is much simpler than the standard mount. I can’t find any documentation on the sunshade/extension for the front of the scope, and suspect it’s used to keep manufacturing costs down, but it looks good on the rifle.
F52334FE-DB74-4543-A21A-64B0D05E04E3.jpeg

535466BD-62D2-4ABD-8193-6DCF64B3224E.jpeg

Anyway, I cobbled together a case, and hope to take it to the range soon.
A55C394C-A7C5-4BD1-8E1D-E1FADD917167.jpeg

Beautiful!

I've an original heavy barrel target rifle that's fun to shoot. Similar to you, my interest stemmed from my USSS impression. I still need to get a "case/wagon box for it (my wood working skills aren't up to putting something together) and get some implements for in it.

Mike

Back