• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wow, prices for new Pedersoli rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why is it that you can still buy an original muzzle loader, rifles or shot guns in shoot able condition much cheaper than an ITALIAN reproduction?
I think that is just the nature of the market, and perhaps there is a mentality that new is better. Indeed, both my original Trapdoor Springfields each cost much less than a reproduction.

I looked the other day and kinda thought I might want a Pedersoli Mortimer Flint .54 till I saw the price.

Rat, you are so correct. I also have several TRAP DOOR SPRINGFIELDS, originals that never cost me over $600.00, DIXIE wants in execs of $1200.00+ ship.

Right, I paid $450 for one, and around $600 for the other. And they are both accurate. $1200.00 was what I was looking at for a repro T.D., or a High Wall in the same caliber. But back on topic, we have to remember the the small market, in comparison to modern cartridge guns, is what prices reproductions so high. The antique market is a whole other animal.

Set up time, as mentioned is a real biggie. When you spend $20,000 to set up to make a gun, that first gun off the line is worth $20,000.00, but you have to sell it close to $1,000. The more you sell, the sooner you come to making a profit, but you may not even be able to sell enough of them to ever make a profit.

So, I don't think Pedersoli, or anyone else, is gouging anyone, or selling way over what they could let them go for. It's just a very small market. When I hunt during a muzzle loading season, I never, and I mean never, see any other hunters with traditional guns. Almost never, I talked to one guy in the woods this year, that had a nice TC Hawken or something like that. But the last ten seasons? Nope. It's all inlines, I even ran into a guy, hunting with whom must have been his grandson, who was well over 90 years old, and he was packing an inline. If I ever run into another hunter with a flintlock, I won't believe my eyes. I won't know how to act. I may die of a heart attack. I might throw up with joy.

Rat, well put.the times they are a changing!ever heard that be fore?

Just checking out the new Pedersoli 1857 "Mauser" , at about $1500, wow, that better be a nice rifle......

I must admit I want one pretty bad.......but at double what you can find their Springfields and Enfields for , I would hope it has a match grade barrel.....

Price on low volume production is going to be high, and expected, to cover all the tooling required to produce a product they don't expect to sell millions of. Limited production firearms are usually made to high standards, but I wouldn't expect anything special like a match grade barrel.

I've had similar sticker shock recently when looking at some "kits" and their prices. The last several guns that I've built have been from my own supply of stock wood and often times from parts that I purchased used or "like new" for good prices. I'm starting to think about what my next build will be when I finish the walnut-stocked fowler that just moved to the bench, so I started looking at some of the more popular kids (Chambers, Pecatonica, TVM, TOTW and of course Kibler). Man, geez Louise, $900 for a kit with a straight barrel and plain wood? Well over $1000 for a "kit" with a decent stock and a swamped barrel.

I don't know enough about production or anything else to suggest that they are or are not worth that sort of money, but man, it makes it hard for the hobbyist. I'm also just teaching myself to build some simple furniture and the same can be said for wood, tools and hardware. $40 for a pair of hinges? $14/board foot for walnut? Holy smokes, how do hobby people with limited means do it?

My main issue is that for all of that money, you aren’t getting something that is really very historically accurate. Tons of problems with them, the dimensions are wrong, types of wood are wrong, the list goes on. Quality is there, authenticity is not. I’d rather spend the few bucks more on a custom.

Back