• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva mountain rifle price check

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastleo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What is a fair price for a sealed unbuilt cva mountain rifle kit in 58 cal? I don’t want to open it up to check but I believe it’s not a made in USA barrel.

Thanks!

I sold a factory kit, sealed in box, 50cal for $650. Non USA made.

The rarity of the 58cal, I'd price it at $800 to 850

Now let's hear the bubbas start in... ahhhh git'em fer 50 dollars! 🤣🤣
Thanks for the info

A Big Bore CVA Mountain Rifle is a gun I always wanted but never got around to getting when they were still available. So, if I found one N.I.B. and had the scratch I'd probably go 7 or 8 hundred for it.

I got one (.58 CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle kit), un-opened, new old stock, for $450 about eight years ago. That was from a dealer on Guns International or Guns America... one or the other. I forget. I understand that was then and this is now, but gosh, $800 sounds like a lot. I know they are rare, and getting more so, but there are evidently a few still out there.

If CVA hears they are worth that much, maybe they'll start making them again.

I guess I'm glad I got mine when I did.

Notchy Bob

There is not much to compare it to. I think traditions makes a kit gun. That’s about it..

When I see similar questions on this forum about nonCVA, Non58cal, and $400+ numbers bantered, it makes me think $750-800 is a reasonable asking price for the CVA Mountain rifle in .58 cal.

When I see similar questions on this forum about nonCVA, Non58cal, and $400+ numbers bantered, it makes me think $750-800 is a reasonable asking price for the CVA Mountain rifle in .58 cal.
It’s really hard trying to figure out what to pay for something these days. Selling something is easier I guess because you can always just keep the item. All this is why I kinda like auctions . It seems more simple that way.

What is a fair price for a sealed unbuilt cva mountain rifle kit in 58 cal? I don’t want to open it up to check but I believe it’s not a made in USA barrel.

Thanks!
Agree with most on their price guesstimates, but unless you bought it to sell or you need the money or space it is taking up, why sell? Prices have been really climbing and unlikely to drop anytime soon.

Agree with most on their price guesstimates, but unless you bought it to sell or you need the money or space it is taking up, why sell? Prices have been really climbing and unlikely to drop anytime soon.
I got 3 58 cal barrels back from Bobby Hoyt recently. If I decide to sell this kit I can buy something I don’t have.

I'd offer you $500 now but I don't have it. Maybe later I'd go a bit higher, but my time is valuable, and I got stuff I need to get done so for KIT FORM I would say less than $800.00

BUT YOU WILL LIKELY GET THAT MUCH. CVA Mountain .58 is a rare bird. VERY DESIRABLE. List it and see which of us wants it more. If it were mine I'd do as an auction and list as best offer over $750.00 and watch it go nuts 😁

I'd offer you $500 now but I don't have it. Maybe later I'd go a bit higher, but my time is valuable, and I got stuff I need to get done so for KIT FORM I would say less than $800.00

BUT YOU WILL LIKELY GET THAT MUCH. CVA Mountain .58 is a rare bird. VERY DESIRABLE. List it and see which of us wants it more. If it were mine I'd do as an auction and list as best offer over $750.00 and watch it go nuts 😁
I don’t think we can do auctions on this site. But that’s a good idea. And we would know it’s worth.

The CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle has a couple of features that could have been done better, but overall, they are really nice rifles. The have a more authentic traditional look than most of the mass-produced muzzleloading sporting rifles. The hooked breech and barrel wedges make it easy to remove the barrel for thorough cleaning. The 32” barrel is a full inch across the flats, but in .58 caliber it balances very nicely, even for an old guy who has lost a lot of strength and muscle mass. That caliber was also a good choice. T/C had guns in .54, but the .58 CVA provided another option for shooters who wanted a larger bore, and the traditional styling and “workhorse” simplicity made it even more appealing. Also, thanks to the popularity of Civil War rifle muskets, components for loading, shooting, and maintaining the .58 are widely available, including range rods with properly sized muzzle protectors.

I’m fortunate in that I own several custom muzzleloaders, but I like my .58 Mountain Rifle as well as any.

The owner certainly has the right to sell one of these, whether a kit or a completed rifle, for any price he chooses, and since I have one, I’m not in the market for another. It’s just a matter of sticker shock, I guess.

They are nice rifles.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

The CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle has a couple of features that could have been done better, but overall, they are really nice rifles. The have a more authentic traditional look than most of the mass-produced muzzleloading sporting rifles. The hooked breech and barrel wedges make it easy to remove the barrel for thorough cleaning. The 32” barrel is a full inch across the flats, but in .58 caliber it balances very nicely, even for an old guy who has lost a lot of strength and muscle mass. That caliber was also a good choice. T/C had guns in .54, but the .58 CVA provided another option for shooters who wanted a larger bore, and the traditional styling and “workhorse” simplicity made it even more appealing. Also, thanks to the popularity of Civil War rifle muskets, components for loading, shooting, and maintaining the .58 are widely available, including range rods with properly sized muzzle protectors.

I’m fortunate in that I own several custom muzzleloaders, but I like my .58 Mountain Rifle as well as any.

The owner certainly has the right to sell one of these, whether a kit or a completed rifle, for any price he chooses, and since I have one, I’m not in the market for another. It’s just a matter of sticker shock, I guess.

They are nice rifles.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Good post. I’m still on the fence if I’m going to part ways with it. I do know I’m not going to put it together. I like to tinker with guns, but not assemble them.
Andy

Good post. I’m still on the fence if I’m going to part ways with it. I do know I’m not going to put it together. I like to tinker with guns, but not assemble them.
Andy
Thanks for your comments!

I understand what you mean. I make a lot of my accoutrements and I fiddle around with my guns, making minor repairs and adjustments, but I'm not a gun builder. I bought this kit before I retired, when I had very little free time and no real workspace. It was kicking around for a couple of years before I decided to send it off to a gunsmith to put it together and finish it, and also reduce the length of pull slightly. This particular gunsmith specializes in defarbing reproductions of muzzleloading military guns for Civil War reenactors, and he is very good at it, but he also completed formal training and is certified as a general gunsmith.

I'll tell you, though, there are very few builders or gunsmiths who will assemble these mass-produced kits. Chambers, Kibler, and the Hawken Shop will all provide names of builders who will assemble their precision kits, but very few are willing to work with these lower-cost parts sets.

Earlier this year, I had this rifle over at the shop of an acquaintance near me who is a master-level competitive shooter with muzzleloaders. He also does some custom gun building. He had not examined a CVA Mountain Rifle before, and he wanted to scope the bore, just to see how it looked. He was amazed, and said the bore was comparable to a match-grade barrel. I don't know if mine has a Douglas barrel or not... I understand some of the earlier CVA Mountain Rifles did, but I don't know if that includes the Big Bores. I'm not a good enough shot to take advantage of or benefit from a match grade barrel, but it's good to know the quality is there.

I don't think you'll regret having that rifle assembled and keeping it. However, if you want to sell it as a pristine, unopened kit, you should not have any trouble finding a buyer.

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back