• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva mountain rifle price check

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a fair price for a sealed unbuilt cva mountain rifle kit in 58 cal?
While I personally don’t see the value in these unassembled kits, it seems to be there.
there are very few builders or gunsmiths who will assemble these mass-produced kits
The sad irony in my opinion is that in all likelihood as an unassembled kit sealed in the box it is worth more than an unfired factory assembled gun or an unfired kit you or a ‘professional’ builder finished. Once it is out of the box and assembled it loses value….. interesting market.

I sold a factory kit, sealed in box, 50cal for $650. Non USA made.

The rarity of the 58cal, I'd price it at $800 to 850

Now let's hear the bubbas start in... ahhhh git'em fer 50 dollars! 🤣🤣
Yep. Every time i buy something. Some c9mes along and says the same thing.so ive learned to tell them just half of what i paid. Lol then after a little while i let them nk the real price.sometimes i let a few days pass first.

I got one (.58 CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle kit), un-opened, new old stock, for $450 about eight years ago. That was from a dealer on Guns International or Guns America... one or the other. I forget. I understand that was then and this is now, but gosh, $800 sounds like a lot. I know they are rare, and getting more so, but there are evidently a few still out there.

If CVA hears they are worth that much, maybe they'll start making them again.

I guess I'm glad I got mine when I did.

Notchy Bob
Ive never seen .58 caliber. Ive heard a lot about them

I understand that CVA made a limited run of these Big Bore Mountain rifles in .54 caliber, also, but those are really scarce. I've never seen one. The .58's are the most common, relatively speaking.

Notchy Bob
You probably saw my post last year about my Big Bore ."54" I got when my dad passed last year. He only shot it twice and it didn't shoot great. The bore seemed really big for a 54. The barrel is stamped 54 caliber, and I have the original instructions that came with the kit and they are for a Big Bore 54 Caliber Mountain rifle. When I measured the Bore it turns out its a .58 stamped as a 54! Maybe I have a real rare item, lol

I'd be interested in it because I have a CVA 54cal flintlock barrel in the white. It's not marked USA or Spain. Was for a
project that didn't go farther. CVAs are easier to convert then say a TC.
You could try to trade it for lets say, an unfired TC 58cal Big Boar.

It’s really hard trying to figure out what to pay for something these days.
Also to figure out what to charge when selling. I have two ml rifles I'm needing to sell but am stumped as to price. This thread is an eye opener as to prices, especially for factory made stuff. CVA used to be synonymous with "El Cheapo". But the Mountain Rifle has a reputation as a very good gun.

I'd be interested in it because I have a CVA 54cal flintlock barrel in the white. It's not marked USA or Spain. Was for a
project that didn't go farther. CVAs are easier to convert then say a TC.
You could try to trade it for lets say, an unfired TC 58cal Big Boar.
I actually prefer trading these days.

The sad irony in my opinion is that in all likelihood as an unassembled kit sealed in the box it is worth more than an unfired factory assembled gun or an unfired kit you or a ‘professional’ builder finished. Once it is out of the box and assembled it loses value….. interesting market.
I have pondered that conundrum myself. I guess it’s a matter of collectors versus shooters. In my case, there was no question that the kit would be assembled and the rifle would be shot. I didn’t buy it just to admire it, or to try to resell it for a few dollars profit. We all have our priorities.

Thanks for your comments!

Notchy Bob

I predict great remorse if you let this go Rare as hell. I member here will build for you. KEEP IT! Or I do have a few things I can trade if you PM me. You got a jewel Leo, dont be so fast to let it go. hehehe (kinda a pun??)
I feel remorse for not enjoying it. But you are still correct. That’s why I’m just kicking the idea around. I’m not likely to find another anytime soon.

I understand that CVA made a limited run of these Big Bore Mountain rifles in .54 caliber, also, but those are really scarce. I've never seen one. The .58's are the most common, relatively speaking.

Notchy Bob
Very, very early .54 Big Bore Mountain Rifle kit sealed in the factory wrap. The wrap has been peeled back at the breech to verify the barrel is a US barrel.
Most of the factory shrink wrap is in place but it is brittle with age.

IMG_2550.jpeg
IMG_2549.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it a USA barrel? I’m confused on this.. did 54 or 58 ever have that designation?
Apologies-
To the best of my knowledge the early Big Bores had US manufactured barrels with later offerings from Spain. Spanish barrels are marked as such and bear proof marks.
Either way they are quality barrels.
I do know that the lock on this kit is marked “Spain”.
These are the barrel markings, SN is 0014XXX
IMG_2633.jpeg

You probably saw my post last year about my Big Bore ."54" I got when my dad passed last year. He only shot it twice and it didn't shoot great. The bore seemed really big for a 54. The barrel is stamped 54 caliber, and I have the original instructions that came with the kit and they are for a Big Bore 54 Caliber Mountain rifle. When I measured the Bore it turns out its a .58 stamped as a 54! Maybe I have a real rare item, lol
My brother has a CVA 54 that I restocked with a nice piece of curly maple probably 20 years ago. Never new they were a scarce item.

Considering the fact that i recently gave around 600 for a immaculate made in usa 50, id go 7-800. I do have a 58 with a buldged barrel, replaced it with a green mountain.

On a side note, not trying to hijack the thread, i wonder if there might be any value to a big bore stock cut for a patch box. Heard there was a handfull that came out.

Latest posts

Back