• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Primers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainVane

Colt ‘51 & Remington ‘58 .36; Colt ‘48 .31
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, i will try this and hope the admins don’t go nuts. I quite sure a lot of us have modern guns besides our BPs. I have one (won’t say what). If you think caps were hard to find, i have been searching for large pistol primers for a year. None to be found. I reload my own .44 brass otherwise it’s about a buck a round to shoot. I have been to every website I can think of. Out of ideas.
Any of y’all know where i can get 100 large pistol primers?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know nothing about primers, so this may be a stupid question: there are those guys that make percussion cap makers. Could they or somebody else be able to make a press that would make primers? If that is possible a guy could make a fortune selling those presses.

My local Scheel's has large pistol primers. They had everything else, too, except large rifle primers. Natch, that's what I need to make some black powder cartridges for my Trapdoor, so I walked away empty-handed. They're to be found a couple places online, but you have to buy a box of 1000.

Last edited:
Buying one hundred is economically difficult with shipping and Hazmat. i try to mix/match to get 3 or 4 thou at a time. Still looking for the elusive large rifle or worse, lg rifle magnum. But they will be back soon enough.

I know nothing about primers, so this may be a stupid question: there are those guys that make percussion cap makers. Could they or somebody else be able to make a press that would make primers? If that is possible a guy could make a fortune selling those presses.
So a cap is stuck against a nipple, while a primer has an internal part called an "anvil", that performs the function of providing an internal impact surface to for the internal dry chemical compound. A tad more complex than a cap because that part is so small. Could you reuse the anvil from a spent primer..., no idea on my part.

LD

Since caps may be adapted for use on caplocks so far this thread has not run too far foul..., yet...

You have to re use the anvil, they pop out. I’ve re made primers from spent primers with the 22 reloader compound. It works well, just slow.

So a cap is stuck against a nipple, while a primer has an internal part called an "anvil", that performs the function of providing an internal impact surface to for the internal dry chemical compound. A tad more complex than a cap because that part is so small. Could you reuse the anvil from a spent primer..., no idea on my part.

LD

Since caps may be adapted for use on caplocks so far this thread has not run too far foul..., yet...
Thanks. Never even seen a primer so didn't know how similar they were.

Ok, i will try this and hope the admins don’t go nuts. I quite sure a lot of us have modern guns besides our BPs. I have one (won’t say what). If you think caps were hard to find, i have been searching for large pistol primers for a year. None to be found. I reload my own .44 brass otherwise it’s about a buck a round to shoot. I have been to every website I can think of. Out of ideas.
Sent you a PM, but doubt that it helps. Try searching on Ammoseek. I can smell that ‘thread lock’ symbol…..
https://ammoseek.com/reloading/primers?ikw=Large pistol&sort=price

LD

Yes anvils are reusable.

If you are anywhere near central Virginia I can spare a hundred or so

The same maker of the percussion cap die also has a primer making die. It only makes the cups and you use the anvils from fired primers. There is one other maker of such a die but I don't have where to get it right now. Will look for it

They are easier to get now than a year or two ago. Trick is to be quick. I would have my top 3-5 online suppliers open on tabs on my phone, and refresh 2/3 times a day. You can usually be notified when back in stock, but that you need to do it immediately….its kinda like calling in to a radio station for concert tickets, just gotta keep trying and eventually you will get lucky.
But keep in mind, you’re more likely and better off getting 1,000 rather than 100

Targetsports USA out of Connecticut and Natchez Shooting Supply seem to be the most reliable online sources. Our local Sportsmans Warehouse and Murdochs occasionally have them available over the counter, but only 1 or 2 boxes of 100 per purchase.

They try to let it stay long enough to get responses... it seems

I've watched it clean up.. it's like a ghost. The topics just disappear with a swipe.. I was reading one and it was gone and then I seen 3 disappear at the same time...

At one time.. they had to go sit down at a computer.. log in read threw what's going on.. response dellet lock.. Pm me lol about it and ask to please 🙏 because there not paid either... it's allot of work.

Phone notifications alone it's kinda easy to follow along.

Last edited:
Got a PM with link, in stock. I wont post here but if anyone needs some PM me. Quantities of 100 500 1000.
Shipping and hazmat adds $30 to price so i will get 500. S&H same regardless of quantity.

Back