• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why does the stone need a wrap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flint? That is just to grip it in place, it gives the jaws of the hammer something softer to bite into, also adds something like a shock absorber so it isn't metal against flint which can cause chipping and cracking of the flint. I have gone without out of necessity, but you'll get longer flint life and it will stay more securely in position with it.

The flint? That is just to grip it in place, it gives the jaws of the hammer something softer to bite into, also adds something like a shock absorber so it isn't metal against flint which can cause chipping and cracking of the flint. I have gone without out of necessity, but you'll get longer flint life and it will stay more securely in position with it.
Very good answer.

It also accounts for irregularities in the shape of the flint. I'd imagine that a nice flat flint, squared off across the top, will hold okay in the flint jaws bare. But that isn't the reality of most flints, unless using those weird sawn agate "flints."

The "wrap", as stated, is used for a better, softer grip of the flint due to the larger surface area being held (unless your flint it cut flawlessly to the profile of your jaws).. Placing it directly in the jaws will cause a few issues with extended use.....1: it is basically putting a rock between two pieces of steel and whacking them together at an angle, sooner or later it's going to chip and/or shatter due to stress, not wear. 2: the leather allows the flint to slightly "self adjust/align" providing the "squarest" surface area for striking.
Testing takes years, not a few sessions. I can "test" 180grs of BP in my .50 rifle and it'll probably do fine....a few times...until it doesn't.

Testing,
One wants to try something and see how it works
Above is one after another point on what it does
But I had to test
Had a Davis lock. Fitted an Arkansas chert in and shot without a pad.
Lasted about ten shots till I got a clatch
Tapped the edge and flint cracked. That’s not the fault of no pad, I’ve had lots of flints do that over the year
Went to run top jaw screw up and shame found a problem.
Vo shock absorber
Flint rested right on the threads
Flint is harder then steel
Threads mangles and shaft bent

Testing,
One wants to try something and see how it works
Above is one after another point on what it does
But I had to test
Had a Davis lock. Fitted an Arkansas chert in and shot without a pad.
Lasted about ten shots till I got a clatch
Tapped the edge and flint cracked. That’s not the fault of no pad, I’ve had lots of flints do that over the year
Went to run top jaw screw up and shame found a problem.
Vo shock absorber
Flint rested right on the threads
Flint is harder then steel
Threads mangles and shaft bent
Yep, need something to protect your cock screw hahaha.

Attachments

• IMG_20230922_140538.gif
    IMG_20230922_140538.gif
    794 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back