• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading reloading idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thekingd93

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I found some copper tubes with red caps that should work well for reloading from a bag or while hunting. A pre measured powder charge of 70 grains Swiss 3F is poured into the tube followed by a 250 grain Lee R.E.A.L bullet with an over powder felt wad glued to the bottom of the bullet. The bullet is lubricated and wrapped in butcher paper then inserted into the brass tube. The red cap holds everything in place. These Lee bullets group reasonably well out of my Hawken. The butcher papers primarily function is to keep the bullet lube intact and inside the grease grooves but I got thinking if I could leave the paper wrapped around the bullet and shoot it without having to unwrap the bullet, this could potentially save me an extra step when reloading in the field. I'm wondering if the paper will affect how the bullet engages the rifling since the Lee R.e.a.l is rifling engraved at loading. Maybe the paper will just disintegrate upon firing and won't affect anything. I'll have to test this.

Attachments

• 20231120_133259.jpg
    20231120_133259.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 3
Are you saying that the over powder felt wad is actually glued to the bullet - it stays on the bullet after it is fired? That doesn't sound right..

From your picture, it looks like the wad is glued to the paper and not the bullet itself... I agree with @BillRob above, glueing the wad to the bullet doesn't sound right. That said, I'm far from an expert on that particular aspect of bp shooting.

Latest posts

Back