• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Traditions Deerhunter Flint showed up! Any advice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you really want to get bent, try to figger out how a playing card gets cut half in two.
Look at it as long as you want to but it just don't make no sense!

You will soon realize that Traditions locks are junk. They're too small for a rifle, and unless you use those dinky little 5/8 flints, you'll have issues with the frizzen and the flint jamming it open and not allowing the cock to fall all the way.
How pretentious.

Shoot the one ya can't see.
The one ya can see is likely going to only be cut half way...
The one ya can barely see is likely at best angle relative to shooter, to be cut in half.

If you really want to get bent, try to figger out how a playing card gets cut half in two.

Same as splitting a ball and hitting 2 clays, putting a candle flame out without hitting the candle or lighting a match with a pellet gun. When the target disappears, squeeze the trigger 👍

I appreciate the candid advice! I actually own a very reliable Lyman's .50 flintlock that I've got working pretty well already!

My girlfriend wanted to get me something I'd actually enjoy for Xmas, and I told her I actually wanted to try one of these cheapo ones! LOL

One day when I have the money I'm definitely going to get a custom one made.
I have the same rifle. I have been out with it a few times, but have not shot a deer with it yet. I get sub 2" groups at 75yds. I'm not going to the Olympics! It was relatively inexpensive and it is light to carry, which I prefer. Also, I like the plastic stock, hey, it's the 21st century. I did change to a peep sight as my eyes are not what they once were.

Last summer I introduced a 14 year old to my .36 flinter. He just got a Traditions Deerhunter Flint for Christmas. His dad knows nothing about flintlocks, so I replaced his Pyrodex with a half pound of Goex 3f and gave him a couple of 5/8 flints. Hopefully this Traditions is the first step in a life long journey. Calling it junk misses the whole point. We should celebrate, encourage and mentor shooters new to black powder in general and flintlocks in particular. Right now, this rifle is priceless to this young man.

Clean it and enjoy it! If you run into lock problems I highly recommend getting in contact with @FlinterNick, he fixed up the lock on my Traditions Kentucky and is currently in possession of my round faced Kibler. The man does great work for a reasonable and very affordable price.

Don't let negative Nancy's get to you, these things shoot surprisingly well.
1000008092.jpg

Last edited:
I respectively disagree with that statement, they might not be as fine-tuned as a $300 lock, my entire flintlock, from Lyman, didn't cost $300, but then I spent my entire life hunting with Savage and Remington rifles. I don't own a single Weatherby and yet I have been very happy. Perhaps flintlocks and percussions can be viewed the same way. Shucks I drive an old Chevrolet pickup instead of one of those 80,000 electric Fords and I'm still happy.
Squint
How much you pay for a gun is not correlated to how well you can shoot. I see guys with fancy guns at my club/range who can't hit the paper. I just searched for my receipt for the Deerhunter. It was $254 in Feb of '19. I wouldn't want to take a fancy gun out into the woods and crawl through a swamp, etc with it. And I have no interest in trying to kill a deer from the other side of town.

LOVE my traditions. And don't you EVER give that away or sell. Not many of us have the girl you got. Why some of us even have to smuggle boxes in from time to time. (I got away with the Renegade BTW).

Thank you! I definitely plan to keep her! I'd marry her now if she'd let me! LOL

We always encourage each other's hobbies. Keeps us happy!

I respectively disagree with that statement, they might not be as fine-tuned as a $300 lock, my entire flintlock, from Lyman, didn't cost $300, but then I spent my entire life hunting with Savage and Remington rifles. I don't own a single Weatherby and yet I have been very happy. Perhaps flintlocks and percussions can be viewed the same way. Shucks I drive an old Chevrolet pickup instead of one of those 80,000 electric Fords and I'm still happy.
Squint
Me to

Latest posts

Back