• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy a straight razor??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Celt. I'll definitely keep that in mind when my blade gets here. I surely won't rush things either until I get the hang of it.

The extended tang is generally refered to as a monkey's tail. On many of the older blades it's quite small. As time progressed it grew larger with more of a curl. The blades also became lighter and more refined hollow ground with lots of intricate design. I suppose barbers prefered it for control of the blade. Another thing to look at is pre-1830 the manufacturer signed their names to them. Generally this was near the bolster. After that they were required to also put their county of manufacture. This may help you in determining the age of a blade.

I have a blade that is pre 1830 and each time I shave with it I always think to myself who has held this blade before me and what tales would they tell if they could? How many of us actually get to put our hands on something that should be in a museum and use it for it's intended purpose daily? My next purchase is going to be a pre-1770's they are still readily availabe and reasonably priced. I suppose it's a testament to what many men held to be durable and what was held to be expended through time?

Hey Celt and Trench, where did you guys find these pre 1830 blades? All that the ad said when I ordered mine was that it was a "vintage Anton Mingen." I didn't know that really old razors could be found on the market. I just presumed they would be very rare I guess, or one of those mysterious common things that go the way of the 1750's hunting pouch, for instance. :idunno:

Keep us posted on that restoration Trench! Maybe some before and after pics. :thumbsup:

Razor Emporium had two with short tails and straight scales. They both needed some work. I bought one of them.

Trench said:
Razor Emporium had two with short tails and straight scales. They both needed some work. I bought one of them.
Cool! Gonna have a looksee. Post a pic when it comes. And keep us up to date on the restoration.
:)

I'll post it when it gets here and then again after I do a little work on it.

I got mine through a vendor that's on the straight razor place. There are reputable dealers all over the place. I just saw a beautiful pre-1770 blade in fantastic shape for $240.00 I wish I had the cash, I would have snapped that blade right up.

That would be a hard one to resist for sure Celt! Lots of history in that blade, if only it could talk. I looked the other day but was having a hard time finding any 18th century blades. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. :idunno:

Reading through this thread has me greatly interested in using a straight blade. Except when I have been where it is impracticle I have always used a brush and soap. My dad gave me his old brush and cup on my wedding day, almost 12 years ago.

That's the way I'm going too. Using grandad's old mug and dad's old brush. Still waiting for the razor though. Thanks for your service! :hatsoff: I'm thinking of getting an old single bladed safety razor for the times when I may need to speed things up, time will tell.

I will do that for sure, Trench. I haven't heard from the seller yet, but according to paypal, my payment went through. Wish I had the guys email. I hope its on its way.

My "earlier" 19th century blade is in the mail. Should be here in a day or two.

Just got it today. I'm taking some rust off with some 400 grit sandpaper. The scales are wood and there is some black paint on them that doesn't seem to be original. I think that is the case since one of the pins was painted over. The wood underneath looks nice. I'll have a picture up after some preliminary scrubbing either tonight or tomorrow.

I did a little more polishing after the sand paper and removed the enamel off the scales that didn't appear to be original. Or perhaps the original finish was painted over. It had other white splotches of paint on the back and wasn't very attractive. Right now, it just has one coat of tongue oil on it.

I don't think I'm going to polish it up any more. No sense in having a 170 to 190 year old razor that looks close to brand new.

You can make out the word Silversteel which was introduced in the 1820's and Old English stands out ver well just below the spine. This is a wedge ground blade, unlike my "newer" late 19th century Frederick Reynolds which is hollow ground.

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

Trench, that looks pretty darn nice so far to me! I like that blade a lot. I think you are right not to try and polish it up to make it look new. It has such nice character the way it is! The woodgrain looks really good too. Do you think you are going to paint it again? Or just tung oil it? You can tell that's a nice old razor. Looks really good man!! Nice job! :thumbsup:

Back