• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy a straight razor??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDogg

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack another thread, but I've been looking to buy a good straight razor for shaving. The only ones I can find online cost upwards of $100. :shocked2: Can any of you fellas point me in the right direction? I don't want to go into hock just to find a decent blade. :v

'Flea-bey'... generally has em by the dozens. They do not go for much. Antique stores also have em.
Macon

Thanks Macon. I'll check them out. I've seen some of these things for over $300. :shocked2:

Probably won't sell mine, but keep it as an inheritance for my relatives. But, just do a search on Amazon and you can find a lot of them.
:thumbsup:

check your local beauty salon supply store some of them cary straight razors for a decent price. you can even get one that has disposable blades.

I hit the local antiques stores. I've found 2 nice German oldies for $20 each and sent them out for professional honing. That's the key, get them honed by someone who knows how to do it right the first time.

I've found a couple at flea market,including an old one with a carbon steel blade..Hank

There are a lot of different sources to purchase a good straight razor from. Many of the newer blades can be pretty expensive. Older used ones much less. I just purchased a pre 1830 blade in excellent condition for $40.00 and in my opinion it's nicer than any of the moderns I have. A good website I found that might steer you in the right direction is thestraightrazorplace.com It's essentially a website just like this one but dedicated to straight razors. They offer some really great advice and seem like genuine folks that contribute to their forums. They additionally have a classifieds section where some of the vendors sell their blades. Reputation is everything so you will get a fair deal. Take a look and maybe post some questions.

There are a few basic things to buying a straight razor like when it was honed, is it shave ready? Does the blade touch the scales, any rust on it etc? For some reason the darn things start becoming like muzzleoaders once you buy one........ well we all know the story from there.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at Razoremporium.com. You can buy an original 100+ year old razor for $20 or $30 and have it professionally honed for another $20. This is wear I got my 1880ish Fredrick Reynolds blade.

Thank you Gentlemen. I appreciate all the websites and information. I went onto the straightrazorplace.com forum and bought a vintage Anton Wingen Solingen straightrazor, from a fella in England. Was only $40 and shave ready too. Looks like a nice one. Filework on the spine of the blade even. That forum is a really neat place! Whodathunk that shaving was such a big deal? ... Let the bloodletting begin!! :hmm: Thanks all!

It's amazing at how much goes into a shave once you start using straight razors. They give me the best shave I've ever had. I have really learned a lot about caring and maintaining those blades. With all the different methods of shaving with a straight razor as well. It sure isn't like many would have most to believe that you just drag it along leather a few times then a few scrapes down you face and you are done. Good luck with that new razor you got. Should you have questions feel free to post em'

Thanks Celt. I'm sure I'll have some questions once it gets here. And Trench, that Razor Emporium is a really cool site too. Lots of information there. The one I ordered is supposed to be shave ready, but will any leather work for a strop? Such as a thick leather belt?

Yes a leather belt would work. Just make sure it's smooth throughout and plain leather, the wider the better. Treat it with something like neats foot oil. Make sure you can hang it where you can pull it taught when you strop that blade and try not to let any slack in it. Take your time and go slow. If the blade is wider than the belt make sure to use an X-stropping pattern. Make sure the entire blade gets sharpened without putting pressure on the blade.

If it were me though I'd try and get a good two sided strop as soon as you can pick one up. They aren't too awful expensive, might even pick up a used one off ebay on the cheap?

Thanks Celt. Maybe I should just get the proper strop. They didn't look that expensive, and I'm sure its well worth it in the long run. Maybe a proper stone would be in order too. :v

BigDogg said:
Thanks Celt. Maybe I should just get the proper strop. They didn't look that expensive, and I'm sure its well worth it in the long run. Maybe a proper stone would be in order too. :v

Deffinitely a proper stone! I just ordered a 4000/8000 grit combo water stone. The finest grit I was using was 1200. I could shave with it, but something wasn't quite right. Can't wait to get that new stone and get the edge back to where it was when I bought it!

Trench, where did you order your stone from? If I may ask. Also, been seeing a lot of good instructional videos on YouTube. :thumbsup:

Back