• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy a straight razor??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm just going to keep applying tung oil until it gets a nice luster. I might hand buff the steel a little more, but that's it.

Just got my razors back from being sharpened by Straight Razor Designs. Whoa... they are sharp! I'm afraid of them all over again.

That is one nice looking razor. I should figgure out how to post pictures and put up a couple of my latest edition which is very similar in blade design as yours. I prefer a wedge blade to the others. They just shave really nice. I would agree with you that the scales are most likely not the original as there doesn't seem to be any worm holes or signs of rot etc. Most scales aren't original on old blades unless you get really lucky and pay an arm and a leg. In the long run the true value is in the blade and yours does appear to be in really great shape. Looks like you have a fine razor there..... :thumbsup:

That would be cool Celt, if you could post a pic of yours. I'd like to see it. Are the wedge blades an older style? I wonder if they are easier to hone? Or about the same? And Trench, I bet the tung oil will really add some nice patina to those scales, with more applications as you go on.

jbtusa said:
Just got my razors back from being sharpened by Straight Razor Designs. Whoa... they are sharp! I'm afraid of them all over again.

Let us know how it goes jbt.
:thumbsup:

While Im by no means an expert on blade styles I do know that the wedge style blade was very popular from the mid 1700's to late 1800's. When you start seeing the more rounded hollow ground blades they typically were becoming very popular in the 20's up to the present. The more modern blades also had the more elaborate monkey's tail on them. Trench's new (old) razor is a classic example of a really nice old blade style. One reason the wedge was probably the predominant style blade was they were easier to produce and not as much workmanship needed to go into them. I'm not sure if the guys really cared about fancy styled and decorated blades? They did however exist and can still be found today. I saw a really nice German made razor from about 1760 or so that was an amazing work of art. Unfortunately I didn't have a spare $250.00 to toss out. They were surely the exception and not the rule of the day. The older wedges seem to be much stouter in construction and are noticeably heavier. I actually prefer to shave with a heavier blade. I do not know if that style was intended for durability or just they way they did it then?

BigDogg said:
:hatsoff: I'm thinking of getting an old single bladed safety razor for the times when I may need to speed things up, time will tell.

Thats what I use.. Not sure if I graduated to the straight razor yet tho...

Okay, if you get a wedge blade, it's going to take a lot more work than a hollow-ground to hone up. I honed for four hours last night with little effect and the spine was unevenly wearing.

I read that a couple pieces of electrical tape on the spine will lift it off the stone a bit to increase the angle on the edge so that the whole wedge isn't in contact with the stone. I'm on my 800 grit stont right now and it's already sharper than when I finished with my 4000 grit stone last night without the tape.

Trench- That is a pretty razor. It'll be worth the work to get it shave ready.
This has been a great thread.
I have not thought about shaving with a straight since I cut myself up pretty good thirty-five years ago. There was no internet then to show me videos about how it is done (I had the angles all wrong). There were no websites supporting an interest like that.
Nowadays...wow.
No being sure that I wanted to rush out and buy the hones, the strop, and a blade of reasonable quality - I opted to try a Dovo Shavette. That experiment has been a success and a "real" straight is in the offing.
I have used the little Shavette twice in the last week (a shave with it lasts me two days), nice and clean. No cuts and blood.
While the little Dovo is certainly not PC, it would be just the thing for someone who wanted to travel with a straight. Take the razor and maybe an extra blade and you'd be good to go.
Pete

Pete D. said:
Trench- That is a pretty razor. It'll be worth the work to get it shave ready.
This has been a great thread.
I have not thought about shaving with a straight since I cut myself up pretty good thirty-five years ago. There was no internet then to show me videos about how it is done (I had the angles all wrong). There were no websites supporting an interest like that.
Nowadays...wow.
No being sure that I wanted to rush out and buy the hones, the strop, and a blade of reasonable quality - I opted to try a Dovo Shavette. That experiment has been a success and a "real" straight is in the offing.
I have used the little Shavette twice in the last week (a shave with it lasts me two days), nice and clean. No cuts and blood.
While the little Dovo is certainly not PC, it would be just the thing for someone who wanted to travel with a straight. Take the razor and maybe an extra blade and you'd be good to go.
Pete

Thanks. The new blade is now the oldest thing in the house. I'm going to shave with it this morning to see if I honed it well enough.

Sorry fellas, haven't been around much, so I'm a little behind. Still haven't got my razor yet, starting to wonder if something's wrong, or I got stiffed somehow. Hey Trench, how did your honing job work out for ya? I've been meaning to try and search some older blades, but haven't been able to find any older than the late 1800's, although I have noticed quite a few wedge profiles for sale. Would they be easier for a newbie to shave with? Or about the same as a hollow grind? I'm still looking for a decent safety razor too, as a backup.

Go with a hollow ground for beginners! The wedge sharpened up really fast once I got a couple layers of electrical tape on the spine. I shaved with it this morning with no problems. Good shave.

On sites like Razor Emporium, they don't really tell you how old the blade is. You've got to go off the ground and tail profile as a start.

Depending upon what you are after it's an option to purchase a new blade that's made just like the old ones. I have seen them advertised for around $100.00 Hopefully your razor came in I'd like to hear what you have to say about it. I can't remember the site where I saw that pre 1770 German blade but if I come across some more I'll try and make a post so you can see what they look like. You can start seeing what these blades are worth on the market. There are millions of blades still around when you consider that just about each adult male in the U.S., Canada and Europe had one. With the advent of the modern disposeable razor they were put to pasture in Grandpa's bathroom to end up in yard and estate sales all over the place. A cryin shame really but keep looking and you will find them. Talk with someone in the estate sale business and they can keep an eye out for you. Too bad I don't have a bunch of green backs growing on trees around this place or I'd have one for each week.

Thanks for the advice fellas! I'm still waiting, but I'm gonna give it another week before I write it off as a good ol' English snookering. I have a friend in the estate sale business, so in the meantime I'm gonna put the bug in his ear about any old straights he may come across. I'm really anxious to give this a go. I'm going to follow your advice and go with a hollow grind for my first blade for shaving with, Trench. And Celt, plese do post any pics you may find of those early blades. That would be awesome to see. :v

Well gentlemen, my straight razor came today from England. She's a beaut! Feels pretty darn sharp, so I may just dive right in. I've got about 3 days of beard grown right now. The razor came in what appears to be its original case, which is kind of beat up. It sure is a fancy looking thing with all the engraving and file work. I'll post pics as soon as I can... and if I don't bleed to death in the meantime. :thumbsup:

It's the first time, so it might be a mess. :wink: Can't wait to see what you picked up.

Picked up a Wade&Butcher razor, slightly damaged. worked on it today.
From start to shave:
WBRedux1.jpg

WBRedux2.jpg

WBRedux3.jpg

WBRedux4.jpg

WBRedux6.jpg

Pete

looks nice Pete! Where did you get that one from? It looks like a pretty old one. :thumbsup:

Back