• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Changing POI in SxS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me ask it this way:
Looking down on the barrel, as in top view:

If I file barrel A as shown across the muzzle, which way will I move the pattern?

If I bevel the INSIDE of barrel B halfway around on the side circled, which way will the pattern move?

Thanks

oops! Forgot to add the pics, lol.

View attachment 256793

View attachment 256794
In image A you have filed to far across. Had you filed to half way the usual result is the shift is away from the most material removed.
In picture B, the pattern should move away from the bevel.
The process is reversible if you go to far.
Do not remove more than .040"! More is not better in this case!

In image A you have filed to far across. Had you filed to half way the usual result is the shift is away from the most material removed.
In picture B, the pattern should move away from the bevel.
The process is reversible if you go to far.
Do not remove more than .040"! More is not better in this case!

Super. To the left.
Thanks for the heads up on material removed, too. I've never found a thread where they talked about that. Let alone shown a picture.

I should be able to put this into practice today.

Just to wrap this up.

From bottom to top:
60gr Grafs 2F
overshot card
two cushion wads (one lubed)
1-1/4 oz dipper of #4 buck
overshot card

15yds aiming at 10X
Before chamfering muzzle
Left barrel
B-L barrel1.jpg

Right barrel
B-rt barrel1.jpg

Left barrel shot at lower target and right barrel at upper
A-4 buck top=rt.jpg

The chamfers were placed on opposite side of the direction I wanted to move the pattern. Bevel left side to push the shot right. Bevel bottom to push the shot up.

I'm calling it a wrap.

Just to wrap this up.

From bottom to top:
60gr Grafs 2F
overshot card
two cushion wads (one lubed)
1-1/4 oz dipper of #4 buck
overshot card

15yds aiming at 10X
Before chamfering muzzle
Left barrel
View attachment 257567

Right barrel
View attachment 257568

Left barrel shot at lower target and right barrel at upper
View attachment 257569

The chamfers were placed on opposite side of the direction I wanted to move the pattern. Bevel left side to push the shot right. Bevel bottom to push the shot up.

I'm calling it a wrap.
Thank you for your experimenting and reporting back 👍🏻

The shooter above said the ML guy put a chamfer inside his muzzle on the Bottom to move his shot Up.

This is correct, the "chamfer" as you call it allows gas to escape along that area and forces the ball/shot charge in the opposite direction.

I believe Britsmoothy has experience with this method if he cares to opine.
well, i tried this method on my pedersoli 10 sxs. right barrel shoots low, left barrel shoots left. i only worked on the right barrel as i seen no change of inpact. gun has choke tubes. so i did get aggressive with it. i seen in change in impact. was disappoint cause really thought this could work. i went in a good 3/8 with the chamfer. any thoughts guys???

Regulating a double gun means getting both barrels to impact the same poa at a specific distance. That distance at the customer"s discretion. Does not matter if it is a riffle or shot gun. Were you ordering a best gun, this would be one of the specs.
This can be very finicky. Can involve separating and resoldering double barrels multiple times.

well, i tried this method on my pedersoli 10 sxs. right barrel shoots low, left barrel shoots left. i only worked on the right barrel as i seen no change of inpact. gun has choke tubes. so i did get aggressive with it. i seen in change in impact. was disappoint cause really thought this could work. i went in a good 3/8 with the chamfer. any thoughts guys???
Something very wrong there ! 😞

I have no proof but suspect DP simple jig the barrels together and solder or braze them together. Now depending on who a; made the jig and b; what mood the person using the jig was in will determine how good the outcome is.

If I'm close to the truth I sincerely hope DP have improved procedures for better consistency if they are not going to use traditional methods.

Whilst it is true that double rifles are regulated via wedges and solder and some via self contained mechanical adjusters it's not the case for double guns.
They were made and test fired yes but not necessarily to a customers requirement.
Test fired to just check that the pattern landed in the correct area. Some may of needed resoldering and some may of just needed a subtle file to the muzzle and some absolutely nothing at all.

My old boss had a grandfather that would heat shotgun barrels and hammer the muzzle in a buggy hub for some degree of choke.I was told he would also SLIGHTLY squeeze the muzzle in an OVAL shape, and according to the direction of the oval, the shot would pattern over to the direction wanted. Might be a good experiment with a old barrel.

My old boss had a grandfather that would heat shotgun barrels and hammer the muzzle in a buggy hub for some degree of choke.I was told he would also SLIGHTLY squeeze the muzzle in an OVAL shape, and according to the direction of the oval, the shot would pattern over to the direction wanted. Might be a good experiment with a old barrel.
Even I would not do that one!
I did once have a double with a dinged muzzle and it did shoot off a touch.

I made a camming mandrel and spun it in the muzzle to get it close to round again .

Latest posts

Back