• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wider Wedge Anyone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Armi San Marcos 1860 that was added to a package purchase that I threw into a drawer for 10 years and now have an interest in it.

Fired it at the range and it works fine-will deal with point of aim later.....but the Dragons fire Breath out the sides was rather stimulating.

Not interested in being a goober and slicing my hands open..... or in rare event throwing something to someone at my side so I measure the end shake.

It measures 0.039" at half cock which is rather wide.
Even the barrel to frame has endshake, maybe 0.006-0.008" to my best ability to measure
Seems folks shoot for the 0.010" gap for less dragons fire but allowing a few cylinders of firing before binding.

I see the wedge in this sucker is bottomed out on the stop screw.
No amount of pounding will make it tighter.
Wedge can be easily removed with just my hands.
Plus the stop screw does not stop this wedge as it can be fully removed.

Examining this sucker I see
-The wedge had a love affair with a grinder on three sides, with multi-facets on the grinding and nothing flat
-The barrel fitment to frame on the bottom has been grinded/filed on the barrel side-but much better than the wedge as there are no facets-its flat
-For whatever reason the barrel face where it matches to the cylinder has been filed or grinded creating a larger flat surface but of course a larger end shake.
-Obviously the previous owner was experimenting with the fitment.
-Barrel has a bit of corrosion but does not look shot out, frame is steel

I tried my 2nd gen colt wedge and bottoming out without stop screw and all the way gives a 0.013" end shake, not bad except thats way past where it would be with the stop screw in, plus I would have to shave that wedge or screw to install that screw so I do not know what the final end shake would be. The barrel fitment may need a bit of shaving if I find a wider wedge to use to get to that 0.010"

I tried my Pietta 1860 wedge and I get 0.020" with wedge in all the way to the screw, or 0.014" all the way in without the screw.
If the best solution can not be found then I will just purchase a new Pietta wedge to cut my endshake in half but double the Internet Gun Gurus Ideal recommendation.

It seems the simplest solution for me is a wider than standard wedge to bring that endshake down.

I am aware of the peening method on the edges of the wedge to get a few thousands more wedging but have not tried that yet-still holding out for the more elegant solution.
I am aware some members here would make their own wider wedge..... but that's a bit to much work for this ol' gun as I have better things to do.
I am aware of the welding or soldering/shim stock method to repair wedges, likely will try this if a purchased solution is not available.

It seems to me that this would be a somewhat common issue, where a slightly wider wedge would be the solution.
With Google upping advertisements hits to big payola merchants and downing any gun work/modification related search result my google fu skills can not find such a thing.

Can anyone provide a source/link to a slightly wider than standard wedge?
I can file to fit easy peasy

Sorry for the Novella but I wish to squash answers that have no value to me that send the thread is some weird direction.

If he did that, the gap would still be way to large. A wider wedge is still the best fix. A shim on the existing wedge would work too. There could be a problem of the barrel pointing up to the sky once the tighter gap is set.

If he did that, the gap would still be way to large. A wider wedge is still the best fix. A shim on the existing wedge would work too. There could be a problem of the barrel pointing up to the sky once the tighter gap is set.

Correction: if he did that, he wouldn't need another wedge.

The problem is more than likely the slot in the arbor and the slot in the barrel assy are the same at the rear of the slot. The slot in the arbor needs to be further to the rear than the slot in the barrel assy. That's why the "gap" doesn't change.

I've been through something similar with an Armi San Paulo .36. Somehow the previous owner neglected giving me the history of his frustrations with the gun. Then again, if he'd divulged that info, I'd probably not have bought it, or would have paid him much less.

The arbor on mine was short almost as much as the end shake. To remove the end shake on mine I milled down the frame lug to bring the barrel back. If you can't get it any closer than .013" then you might have to do that to remove another .010". Shoot for an end shake of about .003"

The back of the wedge (back = hammer side) pushes on the barrel slot, so make sure the arbor slot is farther back where it won't touch the wedge. On the front side, the wedge contacts only the arbor slot, not the barrel.

Would that not still leave him with a too large gap?

Depends on WHAT the problem is. If it's what I said it may be, YES. If he NEEDS a wider wedge, the 1/4 X 28 set screw in the arbor would be the "easy" answer ( he still wouldn't need another wedge). Of course, he may have better things to do . . .

Mike

Latest posts

Back