• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy a straight razor??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Celt5494 said:
That's a nice looking blade, the craftsman put a lot of work into it to be sure. How did the shave go?

Thanks Celt. Whoever made it, put some time into it for sure. I haven't tried it yet. Was pinched for time tonite, and I didn't want to have to rush my first time. But I'm anxious to try it out! I have a styptic pencil just in case I slip a little the first few times.

BigD: The razor came from eBay. I was wrong identifying it as a Wade and Butcher (the '57 Chevy of straights), it's an old Frederick Reynolds from sometime before 1890.
Pete

Pete D. said:
BigD: The razor came from eBay. I was wrong identifying it as a Wade and Butcher (the '57 Chevy of straights), it's an old Frederick Reynolds from sometime before 1890.
Pete

It does look really nice. I think Trench has a Fredrick Reynolds blade if I'm not mistaken. Has some nice character to it.

Maybe this thread needs someone (much wiser than I) to do some posts about the makers of such blades and the time periods to include styles of blades/markings? Might even ask Claude to open a new area in the forum on this topic? Sometimes it's just great to be a Man. Even when I'm in a rush there is nothing like a good shave with an antique blade that shaves as good as it did 200 or more years ago.

Looks like it cleaned up real nice for you. I like the cutout in the blade near the tang. Some of those older blades really had some design to them didn't they? Are you going to hone it yourself or send it out?

It did clean up better than I thought that it would. The "cutout" on the blade is actually a chip out of the blade. I took a jeweler's half round to it so as to make it a more symmetrical arc and put a radius on the sharp corner.
I honed it myself. It shaves OK but I need one more stone - have a 12K grit coming - to really put a fine polish on the edge.
Pete

Celt, I like that idea. I could see a forum heading about such things. I mean, it's all part of the big picture too. How did the old timers groom themselves in a certain era? How did they cut their hair? Etc. I'm sure there are some experts out there. Maybe even some on that straight razor forum, might know all about it. I agree that it is really cool to use an every day item, that someone else used long ago. It ties us to our past, if even in a small way. :thumbsup:

Pete D. said:
Pete

Yup, I've got a pre-1890's Fredrick Reynolds too. I hear that the blades have harder than normal steel from that manufacturer and it can take a little longer to hone. I do know it takes more finess than my early 19th century blade.

Welp, today... At approximately 4 pm EST... I became a MAN! No nicks, no cuts. It was surprisingly easy, at least my right side was. The left side took a little more care, since I'm right handed I suppose. What a nice way to shave!! And its so much easier to do the edges around the sideburns and goatee areas. I'm hooked! And thanks for the compliment Trench! :thumbsup:

I hear that the blades have harder than normal steel from that manufacturer and it can take a little longer to hone. I do know it takes more finess than my early 19th century blade.

Trench: Thanks for that note. I will have to go back and spend a bit more time. I have two stones at this point. One is an 800 grit Japanese waterstone, a little too coarse perhaps for many razors. The other is a surgical black Arkansas stone, an already slow cutter. I am waiting on a 12K Chinese stone.
Pete

I used to watch gramps shaving ritual.
Honing, stropping, and shaving.
He knew instantly if anyone had touched his razor.

I looked up a tutorial on the net and it began with "There's nothing manlier than using something that can kill you in 4 seconds."
Recommended doing a small patch at a time for beginners.

The 12K stone arrived about the same time as the grandkids - kinda why I haven't answered the question until now.
It adds a great polish to the edge and enhances the cut.....provided you already have a good edge.
If you don't...well...it's a slow cutter.
I also picked up an Ultrafine ceramic from Spyderco about 8K equivalent.
I like it more than the 12K stone.
Pete

I was trading some muzzleloader parts with a guy and in the box of stuff is a Platts straight razor. The handle is green marbled bakelite. Is this a good razor. I see Platts joined with Case
later on, so I'm thinking it might be a good one.

suzkat said:
I was trading some muzzleloader parts with a guy and in the box of stuff is a Platts straight razor. The handle is green marbled bakelite. Is this a good razor. I see Platts joined with Case
later on, so I'm thinking it might be a good one.

http://straightrazorplace.com/content/

Hi suzkat, I bet the forum in the link above could help you determine the value, and quality of your razor. Its a neat site for all things straightrazor. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back