• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When Do You Use Your Vent Pick?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could the pick used to clean oxy-acetylen copper tips be used as a pick for flintlocks too or do you find it too "raspy" ? The pick kit contains lots of sizes so I simply wondered ...

View attachment 308814

If you do be carefull with them as theyre as brittle as a Carrot and break off easily, no-one wants a jammed obstruction in a barrel vent.

On a flintlock I pick the vent after every time I clean the barrel: removes blockage caused by fouling that is pushed into the vent by the cleaning patch.

After every reload before I prime. Seems like to only after a flash in the pan is kind of like closing the barn door after the horse got out. My vent pick is attached to my priming horn, so it is in the same motion, almost.

I use the pick on my very first loading of the day and that's usually it. The pick doesn't get used again unless I get a FITP or sometimes I use it to block the touch hole during loading. I often blow down the bore just to make sure it's all open.

Try it out for yourself and see if you get better results.
Each gun has its own preferences.
I personally run a pick in there every 8 to 10 shots. My vent pick is a large paperclip with the long leg straightened out, with a slight bend in the end about 1/4” long. The bend allows me to scrape some of the crusty fouling that forms on the face of the breech plug.
This works best on non-recessed breeches (which I hate for several reasons).
You can actually flatten the end of the paper clip, and fashion it into a chisel shape. No need to sharpen, however.
And you've probably already done this!

I’m a blow down the barrel guy. I got a clod in 2015 at a shoot in Leslie Arkansas, that’s the last time I recall using it for Ty’s purpose.
I’ve used it as a tooth pick at times

You can actually flatten the end of the paper clip, and fashion it into a chisel shape. No need to sharpen, however.
And you've probably already done this!
Actually I prefer the blunt factory end. I like to push powder fouling and unburned granules out of the way of the vent rather bore a hole thru them.

I like to have a vent pick dangling by a thin thong from lower down the shoulder strap just inside my shooting bag, my personal habit is to have pre-cut lubed square patches pierced through the approx centre of a "slab" of patches with the Vent pick so theyre immediately ready for use.

Its a case of making a vent pick serve 2 purposes and why not.

I like to have a vent pick dangling by a thin thong from lower down the shoulder strap just inside my shooting bag, my personal habit is to have pre-cut lubed square patches pierced through the approx centre of a "slab" of patches with the Vent pick so theyre immediately ready for use.

Its a case of making a vent pick serve 2 purposes and why not.
Now that is an idea I might try, I usually string several "slabs" of patches on a doubled piece of string and have them so when I run out I discard the string and slip whatever I am tying them off on through the loop on the new batch.

Now that is an idea I might try, I usually string several "slabs" of patches on a doubled piece of string and have them so when I run out I discard the string and slip whatever I am tying them off on through the loop on the new batch.
I don't see how a PC of smooth steel is going to ream a hole in something that is already bigger. I pick the vent hole with every shot. If you are using a pc of hardened steel there is a possibility but I wouldn't want a pick that wouldn't bend. By the way 40 yrs as a tool and die maker so I am not talking without experience

Back