• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot my Crockett yesterday. I started with 22 grains, then 25, then 20. All shot decent but the 20 was the best. Four shots in a ragged hole with one just outside. 25 yards.

Speaking of vision, I have floaters. Had them since I was a kid. I have them real bad. I’ll see one move in my periferrel vision while hunting and be looking for a moving squirrel just to realize it was a floater. They have increased since having cataract surgery.

I’ve talked to an eye doctor about having the vitreous fluid removed and new fluid put in but the risks aren’t worth it, so I live with them and the constant floaters.

I have floaters.

Yeah, I have them too. If one gets in your way, try this: rotate your head very slowly to the right or left while looking forward, pause, then snap back to the front real fast. Sometimes this will temporarily move them to the periphery out of your main field of view. Old navy flight surgeon remedy.

Yup, me too. I’ve have some big floaters and a few smaller ones. I too, have thought they were a bird or a squirrel a few times while hunting. I had that vetrious detachment thing in both eyes within a 3 week period. When they detached, it tore both eyes and left floaters. They’ve been with me for about 6-7 years now.

Dang it all anyway.😡

I shot my Crockett yesterday. I started with 22 grains, then 25, then 20. All shot decent but the 20 was the best. Four shots in a ragged hole with one just outside. 25 yards.

Speaking of vision, I have floaters. Had them since I was a kid. I have them real bad. I’ll see one move in my periferrel vision while hunting and be looking for a moving squirrel just to realize it was a floater. They have increased since having cataract surgery.

I’ve talked to an eye doctor about having the vitreous fluid removed and new fluid put in but the risks aren’t worth it, so I live with them and the constant floaters.
That’s better than I’ve ever done with my Crockett, Jim. Congrats on some fine shooting.

No more scuses for you bud. 😁

I understand caliber restrictions on large game, being no smaller then, but not no larger than for small game I don't. What are these officials thinking?
They are thinking about regulating behavior. The idea being to align hunters behavior with their own concept of what is "right ", "appropriate", "sensible" or "ethical". Doesn't mean they actually had these thoughts. Often put there via outside influence of someone with a strong opinion or a vested $$ interest.

Same thing with minimum calibers for big game. I'm aware of regs across various states for round ball that vary from 38 to 50 for deer. If there were objective accepted criteria all states would be the same. 🤣

If you can muzzle load black powder and round balls in that thing then go for it, dude! Are you Frederick Selous reincarnated? Make sure and avoid barking so you don't blow the whole top off the tree. 🤣
I have not heard of anyone hunting squirrels with bow and arrow, illegal to hunt with arrows in uk, However in my archery shooting they would need to be about two foot square at 30 yards , just a stupid bit of passing conversation However my pcp airguns 177&22 get them drop most out to 50 yards, Must say they are very tasty but a right bugger to skin , they carry a pox that kills our red squirrels so I boil them , then roast just to be on the safe side mmmmm. Tasty

I have not heard of anyone hunting squirrels with bow and arrow, illegal to hunt with arrows in uk, However in my archery shooting they would need to be about two foot square at 30 yards , just a stupid bit of passing conversation However my pcp airguns 177&22 get them drop most out to 50 yards, Must say they are very tasty but a right bugger to skin , they carry a pox that kills our red squirrels so I boil them , then roast just to be on the safe side mmmmm. Tasty
Some people hunt small game with Flu-flu arrows in the states. It would still be a challenge, however. I killed a gray squirrel one day while bow hunting in TN many years ago but only because I got bored and the perfect opportunity presented itself. The squirrel climbed up on a tree about 10 yards from my treestand and just looked at me. How dare he be so brave! However, after the broadhead passed through him, he didn't have the guts to try that again. :)

Last edited:
Back