• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock GPR failure to fire.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a flintlock GPR and replaced the original lock with a L&R lock. The original lock fired reliably; the L&R lock fired reliably until last week. There would be a flash in the pan. I'd pick the touch hole, re-prime and shoot. The touch hole is in correct orientation to the pan. What I did to correct the problem is to tilt the rifle to the left and poke some priming powder into the touch hole. Fired after that. My loading procedure is load, fire, pick the touch hole, load again and pick the touch hole. I'm meticulous in cleaning my rifles and pistols and I don't understand why I have a problem. I'm going to replace the touch hole liner and see what happens. Any idea why the failure to ignite? Thanks.

Try leaving your pick in place while you load. After tamping your PRB down, pull it. After filling flash pan, tap on the opposite side. This should get your 3 or 4F to trickle to your charge. Leaving pick in while loading should leave you a channel to your charge. I’d also recommend getting an endoscope to look at the breech end after cleaning. The previous comment has some merit, no need to heap on the sarcasm.

Last edited:
None. At this time in my part of Texas there isn't any fouling in the pan because the humidity is low. When the humidity is high, yes, there's nasty fouling in the pan. In that case I use a patch and wipe the pan.
Was referring to shoving fouling from the muzzle to the chamber.

Last edited:
On my Lyman GPR I’m not sure what diameter the patent breach is.
With the RMC touch hole liner out, I twist a 36 caliber bronze brush in that reduced diameter channel sometimes I’ll spin the brush on the rod with a cordless drill.

One of the things I discovered causing failure to spark was forgetting to wipe flash pan smoke residue off the frizzen. Keeping the frizzen clean always make the pan flash.

Chambered, or patent, breeches never caused any issue in the few firearms of that type I've owned. Still I consider them a defective solution to a non-existent problem. As has been mentioned they're too easily blocked by fouling and can fail at the worst moment.

Believe Hanshi touched on your problem.

I have converted a couple TC's from caplock to flint. While I have the breech block out, I drill that "CUSTOM" factory breech chamber out to a reasonable diameter. Both became excellent shooters and very fast.

Think your problem is that dang factory custom breech bolster. I would remove it and drill it out to a nice polished hole instead of the inside out ice cream cone affair that they use.

Sometimes I find that subtle changes can have much larger impacts. If the pan is in a slightly different location vs. the stock lock, then perhaps the stock hole liner wasn't quite up to the task. I'm glad that changing it seems to have you sorted out.

Back