• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Geting pan flash but not reliable ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because most of my flintlock rifles and smooth bored fowling guns have an internally coned touch hole liner, I will also do as @ZDC does. The fine grains go right next to the exit of the touch hole and are spread out by the internal cone. There's no fuse effect and I get fast ignition.

Ran into a similar problem. A good clean of the touch hole liner (needed to ream out the fouling) and less priming powder did the trick.

When you dump the powder down the barrel and with the muzzle pointed upward give the rifle a couple good solid bumps with the palm of your hand on top of the grip just behind the lock. The do the same on the lock side of the rifle. This will ensure the powder goes all the way into the breech atea AND against the flash hole.

There are five sizes of number drills fron 1/16 to 5/64. There's another 5 fron 5/64 to 3/32. I don't recommend a touch hole greater than 5/64".
@boule

Get yourself a Treso liner. Then follow Grenadier1758's advice. i own Investarm/Lyman firearms. This fixes the flintlocks.

Back