• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When do you prime?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When hunting, as soon as I am away from lodge, camp, parking area, etc. Deprime when back in an area involving vehicles, buildings, other people, etc.

On the shooting range I load well behind firing line, then prime when on the firing line with gun pointed down range. Sometimes I have to explain loading away from firing line to the black plastic and stainless steel crowd.

Arrive barrel loaded. Get there, get out of truck, and prime. How many times have you seen something you wanted to kill on your way in?
I doubt if my ancestors were un-primed as they went about in the woods.

I've always loaded the barrel at home the night before. But as soon as I step out of the truck and grab my stuff I prime the pan right then. I've kicked up too many deer walking to my stand/hide to not be ready in the event. The pan is primed, the hammer/cock is at half cock with a leather "stall" over the frizzen. Many of the deer I've killed would be gone in seconds and there would be no time to prime.

I guess I;m like most and prime after exiting the vehicle and entering the hunting area.

Back