• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

“Waterproofing” your lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was reading the post about using JB weld on a lock, and it got me to wondering. So my question is, how do you all keep your prime dry? I use a cows knee I made many years ago. If it really wet I also re prime every so often.
What steps do you use?
Kevin

Good read, Brokennock, thanks for posting it. I realize that its impossible to actually waterproof a lock, but wanted to hear from folks the steps they take to improve shooting flints in wet weather
Thanks
Kevin

Good read, Brokennock, thanks for posting it. I realize that its impossible to actually waterproof a lock, but wanted to hear from folks the steps they take to improve shooting flints in wet weather
Thanks
Kevin
I use a bees wax to fill any gaps and use a cover.

IMG_0640.jpeg

I realize that its impossible to actually waterproof a lock, but wanted to hear from folks the steps they take to improve shooting flints in wet weather
I know......
I was being sarcastic.
There are literally dozens of posts on this.

Some folks never seem to tire of blowing their own horn,,,, others roll our eyes and sigh when typing the same thing again and again.

• Cow's knee
  • Always carry the fire lock with the muzzle down
  • Mist/light rain - I keep the lock tucked up under my armpit, with or without a cow's knee
  • Heavy rain - Once hunted for 4 days in really wet weather, tent camping, had used the oil skin poncho from Panther Primitives, with the longrifle tucked under the poncho and across my chest. Worked slick! On Day 5 it was vicious wet sleet and temps just above freezing and I had to leave. That load fired instantly ...
  • Really heavy rain/sleet - Stay home like Mike says :ghostly:

If you want to buy one of those ponchos ... note Panther is only taking orders to the end of this month, as they are still scheduled to close for good (no one has come forward to buy the bizness ... ).
Poncho.jpg

• Cow's knee
  • Always carry the fire lock with the muzzle down
  • Mist/light rain - I keep the lock tucked up under my armpit, with or without a cow's knee
  • Heavy rain - Once hunted for 4 days in really wet weather, tent camping, had used the oil skin poncho from Panther Primitives, with the longrifle tucked under the poncho and across my chest. Worked slick! On Day 5 it was vicious wet sleet and temps just above freezing and I had to leave. That load fired instantly ...
  • Really heavy rain/sleet - Stay home like Mike says :ghostly:

If you want to buy one of those ponchos ... note Panther is only taking orders to the end of this month, as they are still scheduled to close for good (no one has come forward to buy the bizness ... ).
View attachment 288106
I'm sure that would work fantastic for rain but up north with a wet snow in the late season it seems that the humidity for my body condenses all over the gun and turns my Prime to mush.

Latest posts

Back