• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming Powder, 4F or ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very green to flintlock but so far I'm really enjoying it.

I did get myself 1lb of 4F for priming as that's what I had always heard was recommended....until I started hanging out here 🤣

At any rate, I'm not here to assert any opinion on this vs that. 4F has been working well for me so far in my very limited experience as compared to many of you here and I'll continue to use it unless I run out and its not available.

I don't see why 3F or 2F wouldn't work though. Kind of hard to imagine the early pioneers putting alot of concern on what granulation of powder goes in the pan in circumstances of limited supply.

Because your observations are quite valid..., for what you've shot and what you've seen and experienced. ;)

All we are doing here is proving that flintlock locks and rifle barrels like different things, even when they appear to be identical, eh folks?

4F is often very slow for me..., 😦 What?? You see folks we get a lot of ground fog, and misty mornings, here in Maryland where I hunt. The deer and the squirrels and bunnies are found in areas near some water, and I've been in the woods in fog when it's noplace else but the creek bottom.

I've found that with my locks, be they American, Italian, or India origin, the 4F seems to like to soak up moisture, while using 3Fg for both prime and main charge, means no worries. Range time is hunting accuracy practice time for me, so I use on the range what I use in the woods.

3Fg for me.

LD
I must agree, it seems to me that when I hunt the 4f in my pan does soak up moisture. I usually change and wipe out the powder often and replace it periodically. Ran out once and used my 3f and it lasted all day. I still use 4f on the range. But hunt with 3f.

Whether we can detect it or not, 4F is faster. 4F is for priming. That's why it exists. My priming flask is attached to my bag strap and as easy to use as main charge powder. I find no reason not to use 3 or 2F.

Ive never wondered if anything else would work. When I first started playing with rock locks I ordered a can of 4F. Ive never run out of it yet so what to use when I run out hasnt come up yet. Right now 4F works just fine for me and if I find a local ordering powder I will order another lb.

Yes there is a delay. Of course. The other side is can the human brain really tell a difference in that time span of thousands of seconds?

Larry Pletch did extensive studies, timing all different grain size, manufacturer, placing the prime, time locks, percussion also. Well worth the reads for you scientific geeks.

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/priming-powder-timing/
You asked: "can the human brain really tell a difference in that time span of thousands of seconds?". My answer is: I dunno. But, I do know, I believe I can tell the difference. I have seen the vids and have seen the results. The difference, if any, is, supposedly, too small for the human brain to notice. I always use 4Fg for prime because when I started this game an old timer mentor told me "you are supposed to". So I did and got in the habit. Now, I have several pounds of 4Fg on hand that will last me years. I use it because I prefer it and have it. That is part of playing this 'do yer own thang' game.:thumb:

Yes there is a delay. Of course. The other side is can the human brain really tell a difference in that time span of thousands of seconds?

Larry Pletch did extensive studies, timing all different grain size, manufacturer, placing the prime, time locks, percussion also. Well worth the reads for you scientific geeks.

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/priming-powder-timing/
Yeah, my human brain can tell the difference.

I am convinced that time slows when I fire a flint lock rifle. Other than the King's Musket with its monstrous touch hole, all my guns seem to have a delay no matter what I put in the pan. What is curious, is that if I let someone else shoot my rifle, there is no observed delay.

Latest posts

Back