• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you prime?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, If not under time pressure I do like to use a vent pick to clear a little tunnel in the main charge. I don't know if this is regraded as priming but it is part of my priming retinue. I find when I do this I rarely, if ever, have a mis fire.

This is a very basic question. When shooting a flintlock rifle, at the range or on a hunt, how do you prefer to prime?
From your main horn or flask (yes, I know that is dangerous)?
From a small priming flask?
From a priming do-hicky that discharges 4 grains (is that enough or do you have to pump it 4 times)?
From a flask into a priming measure and into the pan?
I made a dohicky with the spring loaded plunger out of a 50 BMG case and soldered a lanyard into the primer pocket. Not by any stretch of the imagination authentic but sure looks cool and the taper of the case makes it work like a dream !
I prime with Null-B now days and the 50 BMG dohicky meters this prime powder( dust really) very well.

949D8779-B95D-4431-A04D-8A26383C6421.jpeg
Made this priming horn to go with the powder horn I purchased.

Hunting i use these.
Those are neat . Ive never used them much but last December , Ken Netting sent me one real similar to these . He made it and sent it as a birthday / Christmas present for me ...darn nice of him....its really neat . See if I can find a pic ...

Attachments

• IMG_20231213_114514.jpg
    IMG_20231213_114514.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Those are neat . Ive never used them much but last December , Ken Netting sent me one real similar to these . He made it and sent it as a birthday / Christmas present for me ...darn nice of him....its really neat . See if I can find a pic ...
Those are really cool. My luck I'd wind up with a pocket full of powder though. If I could figure out how to keep it handy and safe from accidentally emptying it I'd definitely like one of those. I worry about the other push style brass doodad thigymajig too.
Lately I've been trying out priming from the horn, but it's too slow for a couple of the stations on the woods walks we do that are timed on priming, firing and scored on accuracy.

The doodad is going to go back to its home in a sleeve with an open bottom on my bag strap so if I do accidentally push it hopefully the powder falls to the ground instead of getting piled up where it can catch a spark.

This is a very basic question. When shooting a flintlock rifle, at the range or on a hunt, how do you prefer to prime?
From your main horn or flask (yes, I know that is dangerous)?
From a small priming flask?
From a priming do-hicky that discharges 4 grains (is that enough or do you have to pump it 4 times)?
From a flask into a priming measure and into the pan?
I use a priming do-Nicky that discharges 4 grains. 1 pump is enough.

Latest posts

Back