• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what sight for Kibler SMR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i am on my second Kibler SMR "snap together" gun, LOL,,,,this morning i went deer hunting a while. i didn't see any deer and i also couldn't see the front sight! at 66 i have perfect eyes, i don't even need reading glasses, but the front sight is so thin in dim light you just can't see it. i will open the rear sight up and put on a wider front blade. has anybody done this and what front sight did you use? the base needs to be thin as the dovetail is cut shallow on these guns. thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I used the thicker front sight from a Kibler Colonial. My SMR sight was .050" wide the Colonial sight was .082" wide. The Colonial dovetail was the same as the SMR. It helps. I also paint the face of my front sight with bright red fingernail polish. It is much easier to see in the woods, not so much when shooting at a red bullseye.

I used a barrel/pin tenon.

Hellen Keller could see it.

A bit of file work on the dovetail and the rear sight notch, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Attachments

• Thick Fron Sight.jpg
    Thick Fron Sight.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Jukar .45 Rifle (4).jpg
    Jukar .45 Rifle (4).jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 0
I think a thicker blade on the front sight is a great idea. I have the same problem shooting my SMR. I'd also recommend a blued iron front sight instead of brass. Who cares about authenticity if authenticity impares your ability to shoot your gun?

I’ve had the same issue, I take a small file and file a notch in the front sight, this catches the light and reflects the brass back to your eyes as long as it’s a bright enough day. I also take a dab of bright red nail polish and put above the notch and below it… it works well for me.

Stock front sights are .065 inches.

.070 won't make any appreciable difference.

An .098 barrel tenon/front sight really stands out.

the sights and one other gripe i have with Jims SMR, in my humble opinion he should offer a toe plate. he could cut it out and it would be a good asset. maybe on that particular rifle originally, they weren't on it, but they were on SMR and they protect the toe. i have went to the trouble to put them on both guns i have. yesterday i hit the bottom of the toe hard, and the plate saved a dent at least, other than that, they are first class,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

i am on my second Kibler SMR "snap together" gun, LOL,,,,this morning i went deer hunting a while. i didn't see any deer and i also couldn't see the front sight! at 66 i have perfect eyes, i don't even need reading glasses, but the front sight is so thin in dim light you just can't see it. i will open the rear sight up and put on a wider front blade. has anybody done this and what front sight did you use? the base needs to be thin as the dovetail is cut shallow on these guns. thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I use either an FS-FG-30
I use an FS-FG-39-B
For front sight I use a FS-FG-39-B or FS-PA-39B. Sights are 0.093 and 0.10 respectively. Both are 0.400 high. I do not touch the dovetail on the barrel. The PA sight has a wide and deep dovetail that I make to fit the dovetail. I prefer this sight because I can get the dovetail thickness the same as Kibler’s.

For the rear sight I use the FS-PA-14. Rear sight is opened the width of a needle file straight file. The the two front sight mentioned above there is plenty of sight to file down to get the POA where you want it.

I tried the tall rear sight on my 45 SMR and it was too tall. However that sight did work on my 36 SMR. Recoil impulse while ball is in the barrel plays into the combination.

I used a barrel/pin tenon.

Hellen Keller could see it.

A bit of file work on the dovetail and the rear sight notch, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do.
That looks Dam Good and one great idea, I may just use this deal if you don’t mind and slightly paint the front green, my eye site a little wonky at 59 and I am ****** about it. Nothing good about getting old except being above ground ya know. LOL…

I found a steel blade would disappear in the dark woods so I went to a silver blade and then brass blades. Both will reflect light and allow you to see them. I made the silver blade using a real silver nickle shaped and silver soldered to a brass base. The brass blades are equally easy to make. The silver worked in the woods but was too bright for target shooting in bright daylight so I went to the brass which worked both places.

I replaced both sights with these sights from TOTW - much easier to see!

Square Blade Front Sight, wax cast nickel silver - Track of the Wolf - $11.59
Rear sight, Tall Pennsylvania style for 13/16" or 7/8" octagon barrels, wax cast steel - Track of the Wolf - $8.99

Have to cut the rear sight base to fit but the front sight was an almost perfect fit.
These made a big difference on my SMR. The wider front is easier to see and it's taller now, cutting down on the glare I was getting off the barrel.

i put the front sight on TDM suggested above, then i opened up the rear notch, that thing almost glows in low light! i had to cut it down and shape it but it works,,,,,,,,,,,
I just finished doing my rear sight, using the sight mentioned above, reducing its size to fit existing dovetail and cutting decent v-notch:
IMG_3793.JPG

However, I'm going to try shooting first before replacing the front sight, as my main problem was hitting way too low. I want to first see how much elevation offset change this rear sight gives me.

Last edited:
Mine was around 6-8" higher at 25 yards with the taller rear and original front sight. Like you, I had to file my original front down to nothing to get the elevation right.

Back