• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siringo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just to pass along some information, I changed the sights on my Woodsrunner to a taller set with a 1/10” wide front sight.

From TOW I used a FS-PA-39-B front sight and a RS-FG-16 T rear sight. The front sight is .4 inches high with an oversized dovetail. I reduced the thickness of the dovetail from .125 inches to .050 inches (this is what the Kibler dovetails are cut at. The dovetail width in the sight was larger than 3/8, so when I reduced the thickness I still had enough width the file it to 3/8. Some minor adjustments to the front sight may be needed to adjust POI. Also if you don’t want to go as high, a FS-PA-16 can be used but the front sight would need to be filed down a fair amount. But these would still be taller than the original sights with the kit.

I don't like tall sights on a muzzleloader. Despite my aversion to them I have a few rifles with tall sights. Being rather lazy I mostly leave them alone, although I have filed down the sights on at least two of them to look a bit more authentic. Since I can't see worth a hoot the sights are somewhat useless, more or less, for my shooting. I just tell other shooters that I aim by sense of smell. :doh:

Are tall sights just a personal preference? Do you think it increases your accuracy? Do you think they're easier to see?

I have just the stock sights on my Woods Runner, and I had to pass a needle file over the front and take off a little when sighting in and drifting (though, it was really close just "snapped" together).

Are tall sights just a personal preference? Do you think it increases your accuracy? Do you think they're easier to see?

I have just the stock sights on my Woods Runner, and I had to pass a needle file over the front and take off a little when sighting in and drifting (though, it was really close just "snapped" together).
When I mount the rifle the sights are right there now. I don’t have to crane my head and neck, move my read rearward to align the sights. Personal preference.

Just to pass along some information, I changed the sights on my Woodsrunner to a taller set with a 1/10” wide front sight.

From TOW I used a FS-PA-39-B front sight and a RS-FG-16 T rear sight. The front sight is .4 inches high with an oversized dovetail. I reduced the thickness of the dovetail from .125 inches to .050 inches (this is what the Kibler dovetails are cut at. The dovetail width in the sight was larger than 3/8, so when I reduced the thickness I still had enough width the file it to 3/8. Some minor adjustments to the front sight may be needed to adjust POI. Also if you don’t want to go as high, a FS-PA-16 can be used but the front sight would need to be filed down a fair amount. But these would still be taller than the original sights with the kit.
Correction to post. RS - FG-16 not FS-PA-16.

That is exactly how I make them. Low HC sights have mirage problems. I found that the low HC sights will become impossible to get a decent sight picture while load testing at a leisurely pace. I also like a wider front sight. A wider front gives me smaller groups on paper targets. I always replace the low slung HC sights with front and rear I make myself. My sights are only a little higher and do not look silly. I have never heard a good explanation of why unusable sights were installed on very accurate long rifles, it makes no sense to me. I sure wish there was a target sight option when ordering the kit.

Some people find that when target shooting the heat from the barrel distorts the lower sight picture more than a tall one. The downside is a taller sight can make your cheek weld ”weak” because it is more of a jaw weld due to needing to raise the line of sight up.

Sometimes a lot of that mirage might or might not be coming from the inside of the barrel out of the muzzle. I've heard of people using tape over the end to alleviate the heat shimmer from coming out of the muzzle if the firing is fast between the shots. Tape blows off on the next shot. Not sure if any of this is true, just what an old timer told me once...............Bob

Back