• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too like to buy bulk powder BUT, storing it tends to be a problem! where can a guy get an approved storage container?
Unless your state/country has specific laws about how to store it, I would recommend watching Bob McBride’s (of Black Powder TV YouTube channel and this Forum) video on storing the holy black. I have mine in the original containers, in a wooden box (with a closed, but unfastened, lid) inside a bigger wooden chest (again, with a closed, but unfastened lid). Seems to work fine. YMMV

Also, keep your primers, etc. stored somewhere else.

I too like to buy bulk powder BUT, storing it tends to be a problem! where can a guy get an approved storage container?
Mine is stored in my re-loading building in a cabinet mounted on the wall along with the un-mentionable powders nothing special. Always told the boss if something happens out there just lay down.

Been reading for months about the difficulty in finding Black Powder & all the bemoaning & frustration expressed by many here.
Well, I got on line Monday the 21st & in less than 2 minutes found powder for sale. Placed an order at 1:30 PM for 15 pounds of powder to be split between 2 friends & myself. Got two different brands in both 2F & 3F along with 1000 Musket caps. Got a email yesterday that the order will be delivered to my doorstep today, Thursday the 24th between 2:30 & 4:30 PM. Including the shipping $12.95, the HazMat fee $23.50 & the sales tax $29.01 the powder was a tad less than $28/lb. If we had wanted the max order, shipping wise, of 25 lbs it would have been even cheaper per lb. So, the sky isn't falling & I am wondering what all the complaining & fretting is all about.
Where did you order your powder from?

As for purchasing BP . I realize some can not afford to buy a case themselves. Somewhere there must be a BP club you can join, even if it may be a few miles away. For storage of BP : A non working tall stand up freezer in the garage will do double duty. As an air tight safe for tall long guns and also for storage of BP etc. The use of a golden rod and any humidity problem is taking care of. Where there’s a will there’s a way.
Doc,

I too have been wantin to put in a order for powder.But I was hopin to give the new Goex owners my business.Dont think I can wait that long though.

Well, theres a backroad sporting shop up here in Maine that I can walk out with a dozen tins of CCI magnums any day I go in. $5.99 per tin.
I pick up a couple when ice fishing, a couple spring fishing, a few more when summer shooting. I keep leaving the rest for anybody else but the rack gets restocked. Not a lot of black shooters up here I guess. Idjuts must have bought into the inline stuff.
Oh well. More for me.
And keep mind: if you Stop buying those few tins, or just buy one because you still have a few at home - one day you will walk and they won't have any at all or maybe just one on the self....because no one is buying them.

And keep mind: if you Stop buying those few tins, or just buy one because you still have a few at home - one day you will walk and they won't have any at all or maybe just one on the self....because no one is buying them.
Keep in mind. I'm old and have a wall of flintlocks and only one cap lock. I now have a lifetime supply of powder and caps and lead. So, really, I planned ahead and these shortages, real or imagined, are no longer my problem grasshopper.;) As long as I can buy a hundred more flints.

Keep in mind. I'm old and have a wall of flintlocks and only one cap lock. I now have a lifetime supply of powder and caps and lead. So, really, I planned ahead and these shortages, real or imagined, are no longer my problem grasshopper.;) As long as I can buy a hundred more flints.
BOOMER! BOOMER!! I CALL BOom....oh wait, I'm stocked up too...except for #11 caps, i got plenty of #10 but almost out of #11........uhmm, BOOMER! BOOMER!!

Oh wait, I got plenty of flints, all sizes..
Your a Boomer, I'm a Boomer, he should be a Boomer too!

Just went to garage sale yesterday. The Person had bags of 2-3 oz. fishing weights. For ten bucks walked away with several pounds of cast able lead. yeah im going to be that guy for for my nephews when im gone. A sort of a future Christmas for them....yeah...BOOMER here......dont hate the player hate the game....

I keep mine in my outdoor shed on a shelf with my grenades and illegal fireworks. Joking aside, Blackpowder is way less of a danger in a fire than a five gallon can of gasoline. Blackpowder in its original container just makes a “whoosh” in a fire. It does not explode. Gasoline for your lawnmower is a totally different story.

I have a 50lb powder magazine because it was required when I had my federal explosives license. Don't have the license anymore but still.have the magazine. It is out in my shop

Apparently the Goex works is going to be kept open .

The parent company (Hornady?) was going to fold it up if a buyer couldn't be found , but it seems a buyer stepped up

This fueled the initial panic buying

Every percussion revolver I own. ROA’s, R&S’s Colts and Remington's .
I obtained 7000 of those in 2020.

Yes, the RWS 1075 fits great my 3 Colt revolvers, the 3 colts are the small, medium, and large frame size Uberti Colts 1848 pocket, 1851 Navy, Walker). They also fit a couple Piettas that I sold, 51 Navy and 1858 Remington .44.

The #10 Remington are also great because Slickshot nipples (supposed to be less of a cap sucker) are made for the #10 Remington.

Back