• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is if you cannot find any and you want to shoot.

I just opened up a box that I paid $3.29 per hundred.

I buy powder in 5 lb. lots, no less and probably would buy larger lots if the distributor wasn't a dozen miles down the road. I have somewhere over 4,000 RWS musket caps on hand and 3,000+ mix of 10, 11 & 1075s. They don't go bad and only go up in price. A few years back the distributor warned us of a large price increase coming up for RWS caps so the team bought in bulk. I had over 60,000 caps in the ammo locker.

PLEASE NOTE!!! As of 4-15-2021, these caps will not be available for purchase! No orders will be filled

Anything under $100 is a good price these days

Unfortunately that's true and rampant inflation will only make it worse, not to even mention the increased shipping costs due to fuel increases. It's sad to say but the only way most folks will be getting caps and powder is to order online and pay the hazmat and shipping. It's still cheaper than taking my wife out to eat a couple times a month, thankfully she likes to shoot too. :D

I just started back with traditional muzzleloading so stockpiling before hand wasn’t really an option.

Now when it comes to unmentionable primers, bullets and powder, I’m good 🤪

I probably have over 5000 caps produced from the 70s up trough today. I have found them in garage sales at Farm Auctions and been given them for free over the years by folks who retired from shooting or just got out of the sport. I try and shoot the oldest first. A regional sporting goods store named Dunhams usually has them for around $10 a hundred but I quit buying new caps until I go through some of the old stock.

If you look hard enough, you will find them. Under, over, through the woods where ever you may go to find em. They are out there and have been if you want to pay the price after searching long enough. Today folks are selling some of their stashes, manufacturers have ramped up, folks are shooting a bit less. All this makes for supplies a bit easier to find than a year ago. In some ways not a fair comparison today versus over a year ago.

All my powder for the last 20 years have come from there. 25 to 20 pounds an order. Their house brand $17 a pound in 2020. Inflation or ??
Their house brand now is just a tad over $22 plus their nominal $12.95 shipping fee for any size order, sales tax, & HazMat fee. Your point? Cars & trucks are $40,000 to $80,000, houses are half a million, going out to dinner with the wife can be over a hundred, yet people complain that Black Powder is over $20/lb???? Your question marks probably stand for "supply & demand". Grafs is an outstanding company that provides excellent service. We should be thankful they provide the stuff we need because there are few that do. The market is what the market is. I tell people that if you can't or don't want to pay, you don't get to play. It's just that simple. Go make smoke & have fun burning powder. That's why they make it!

Take a look at the cost of a bottle of Blackhorn 209 right now. 22.00 a pound of house brand black powder looks decent right now. It's all about perspective. Grafs has been a good vendor for me in the recent past.

How can a $23.50 HazMat fee & $12.95 shipping "eat you up"? If someone can't afford that then they should probably consider a different hobby. Everyone, not just "some" of us, is capable of planning ahead, I would think. Local store availability of BP is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Ordering it on line & having it shipped to your door is the norm in most areas.

That's a poor attitude to have, not knowing the individual situation of a person, especially ones who are new to the hobby or wanting to get started. There was a time many, many years ago, I was working 7 days a week raising a family , just trying to keep my head above water; if I had two nickels to rub together at the end of the week I felt pretty good. Should I have just got a new hobby ? Yes, $60 for a pound of powder that will get you about 100 shots seems small in the big picture, but can still be a lot to someone fallen on hard times.

I understand what you are saying and I'm not trying to beat you up. I know all hobbies cost money to some degree; I also understand most BP shooters don't fall into that category , but there are some out there.

Gotta realize we're a niche market, getting smaller year-by-year when it comes to percussion caps as more shooters either by necessity or choice go to modern ignition systems. Demand fuels manufacture.

Even at inflated prices, I buy some from time-to-time for my own peace of mind - just not stupid high prices from scalpers. Nope.

How can a $23.50 HazMat fee & $12.95 shipping "eat you up"? If someone can't afford that then they should probably consider a different hobby. Everyone, not just "some" of us, is capable of planning ahead, I would think. Local store availability of BP is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Ordering it on line & having it shipped to your door is the norm in most areas.
I haven’t bought powder locally in 25 years or more. Periodically I order 25 lbs at a time from Powder Inc and split it with my buddies. Last year I bought Schuetzen powder from Antique Trader the same way. It was a bit more expensive than the Goex I used to buy, but it was @$19/lb delivered, so not terribly worse than last time I bought Goex (@$12/lb.)

Back