• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Hawkeye

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Been reading for months about the difficulty in finding Black Powder & all the bemoaning & frustration expressed by many here.
Well, I got on line Monday the 21st & in less than 2 minutes found powder for sale. Placed an order at 1:30 PM for 15 pounds of powder to be split between 2 friends & myself. Got two different brands in both 2F & 3F along with 1000 Musket caps. Got a email yesterday that the order will be delivered to my doorstep today, Thursday the 24th between 2:30 & 4:30 PM. Including the shipping $12.95, the HazMat fee $23.50 & the sales tax $29.01 the powder was a tad less than $28/lb. If we had wanted the max order, shipping wise, of 25 lbs it would have been even cheaper per lb. So, the sky isn't falling & I am wondering what all the complaining & fretting is all about.

Last week I had 10 lbs of black delivery and this Saturday there will be 1,000 musket caps at the door. It's there if you look for it. Except the #10 and #11 Percussion caps which are pretty elusive at this time.

I have never noticed a shortage of items for people who order in bulk and have it shipped. This is why I go in with the boys and nephew to get powder by the case and caps by the thousand. The problem is for people who can only buy a lb of powder or one tin of caps locally. Some of us are able to plan ahead and buy in bulk some can only aford to buy small quanties locally . If you only buy a small amount the hazmat and shipping will eat you up.

I have never noticed a shortage of items for people who order in bulk and have it shipped. This is why I go in with the boys and nephew to get powder by the case and caps by the thousand. The problem is for people who can only buy a lb of powder or one tin of caps locally. Some of us are able to plan ahead and buy in bulk some can only aford to buy small quanties locally . If you only buy a small amount the hazmat and shipping will eat you up.
How can a $23.50 HazMat fee & $12.95 shipping "eat you up"? If someone can't afford that then they should probably consider a different hobby. Everyone, not just "some" of us, is capable of planning ahead, I would think. Local store availability of BP is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Ordering it on line & having it shipped to your door is the norm in most areas.

I think people are referring to a lack of powder at local shops. I know around here a lot of the places that carry powder don't have any most of the times you go in looking for it. I think the reason for that is is as soon as they get some in it is all bought up right away so they are back to having none.

How can a $23.50 HazMat fee & $12.95 shipping "eat you up"? If someone can't afford that then they should probably consider a different hobby. Everyone, not just "some" of us, is capable of planning ahead, I would think. Local store availability of BP is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Ordering it on line & having it shipped to your door is the norm in most areas.
Yeah we can have casual hobbyists or (heaven forbid) the "Poors" enjoying the hobby 🤣 It does help to go in with multiple people to lighten the load. I've lucked out and have a pretty reliable Blackpowder dealer whos local to me.

Might want to drill down on that a bit further. All their caps have this disclaimer "PLEASE NOTE!!! As of 4-21-2021, these caps will not be available for purchase! No orders will be filled"
Odd. One would think they would remove them from the catalog if you can't order.

Been reading for months about the difficulty in finding Black Powder & all the bemoaning & frustration expressed by many here.
Well, I got on line Monday the 21st & in less than 2 minutes found powder for sale. Placed an order at 1:30 PM for 15 pounds of powder to be split between 2 friends & myself. Got two different brands in both 2F & 3F along with 1000 Musket caps. Got a email yesterday that the order will be delivered to my doorstep today, Thursday the 24th between 2:30 & 4:30 PM. Including the shipping $12.95, the HazMat fee $23.50 & the sales tax $29.01 the powder was a tad less than $28/lb. If we had wanted the max order, shipping wise, of 25 lbs it would have been even cheaper per lb. So, the sky isn't falling & I am wondering what all the complaining & fretting is all about.
Good to hear! There was a real panic there for a while, but things inevitably improve after a time.

Care to share what on line company this wonderment happened at.?

Latest posts

Back