• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am reworking an TC Hawken stock that I bought to house a new GM drop in barrel. The deeper I get into the stock the more things I find that need to be repaired.

I have posted some of this before;

I started out filling a crack in the lock inlet that started at the lock bolt hole and ran back to the sear hole, I replaced the wood.

View attachment 122760

I decided to drill out the old lock bolt hole to 3/8", glue in a piece of a hickory ramrod to strengthen the area and redrill the hole.

View attachment 122761

When I drilled the bigger lock bolt hole I found that the wood in the barrel channel at the breech had deteriorated to a splintery mess. I dug out the splintered wood soaked the area with superglue, sprinkled sawdust on the superglue and packed the superglue soaked sawdust down to fill the void. I left enough room to inlet a nice piece of walnut over the sawdust patch to make the breech look more normal.

Damaged wood;

View attachment 122762

Fixed;

View attachment 122763

My redrill of the lock bolt hole splintered the deteriorated wood in the lock inlet as well, I replaced this wood and brought the inlet back to the original contour.

View attachment 122765

Next it is installing threaded bushings in the trigger plate inlet inlet so I can ditch the tangs wood screws and use regular tang bolts. I went with 10-32 but these are large and I may drop back to 8-32 to fit the inlet better.

View attachment 122766
Nicely done 👍

found out after i AF'ed and put one coat of Blo on the whatzit stock that i had completely spaced out on the butt stock right side sanding.
teach me to work after i am tired i guess. the right side had rasp marks that looked like heck so i stripped and sanded it up to the wrist.
that lead to uncovering some other stuff i didn't like. stripped and sanded the whole thing. GRRRRRRRRRr.
Arthritis in wrist and shoulder are barking like a pack of coyotes, and just as annoying.
running out of sand paper and energy.

Made this - just in case I find myself wanting to put some compressed air or some grease through the flash hole of my flintlock. The Zerks fitting can be removed to accept a rubber nosed air nozzle. It has yet to be tested, but it did blow a tight wet patch across the shop in pre-trials...

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 32
You get some beautiful long rifles across the pond seldom seen in uk. I did fancy this 14g rifle at holts auction but not at estimate £3500.

Attachments

• 214BF92B-D13D-49F2-A319-A7DCB7337278.jpeg
    214BF92B-D13D-49F2-A319-A7DCB7337278.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 36
Made this - just in case I find myself wanting to put some compressed air or some grease through the flash hole of my flintlock. The Zerks fitting can be removed to accept a rubber nosed air nozzle. It has yet to be tested, but it did blow a tight wet patch across the shop in pre-trials...
Looks like it would be great at cleaning also ! You could put a quick-change garden hose adapter on there and put a serious amount of water through a barrel. If you ever make some to sell put me on the list.

Unpacked my new 12 gauge that I bought on here. All ready to hit the range tomorrow. Wanted to go today but the 35 mph winds kept me at home.

Went to my club shoot this morning and shot my flint fowler. Didn't do well, flintlocks are new to me. Got home just in time for the fed ex guy to drop of 5 lbs 3f that I ordered from Grafs eight days ago. It wasn't supposed to get here til after the weekend. Good service by both companies.

Tried to sight in a rifle in the cold , like 40 deg. F. Fired about 8 shots , and can't see the sights due to watery eyes. I'll go back another day with a pin hole through tape , on a pare of extra glasses. Thought it warm enough to shoot.........wrong. I use peep sights on most of my rifles , but this one is going to a guy not living close to me. Have another week to sight it in , before delivery day. Getting old sucks..........

Back