• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Montana

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTguy

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have learned a lot reading here, thought I’d join and say thank you for all of the helpful threads you’ve created.

Some friends turned me on to muzzleloader hunting and this year I decided I needed to get my own equipment.

I mostly got into it to take advantage of our short traditional season here in Montana, which starts this Saturday. This is the first year in a long time that I did not kill an elk in our rifle season so I am extra motivated to get after it. I’ve been having fun and shooting good groups. Hopefully I can share something interesting from my adventures in muzzleloader hunting.

I have so many questions and some of them seem like I’m just going to have to learn through trial and error. Like, how do I know if a conical is the right fit? They seem to deform and get a little beat up just trying to get them past the crown, and then I’m assuming that they’ve engraved on the lands and go down pretty easy. Should I be using a bullet starter shaped for my conicals? I’m not so sure. They shoot good enough groups even though they’re a little dinged up. Anyway, things like that and about a hundred other minute details that an ocd person with a background in precision reloading can complicate this with.

Hello and welcome from PA. Wouldn't worry about a little dinged up conicals, unless shooting competition, if you're happy with the groups, your good.

I have learned a lot reading here, thought I’d join and say thank you for all of the helpful threads you’ve created.

Some friends turned me on to muzzleloader hunting and this year I decided I needed to get my own equipment.

I mostly got into it to take advantage of our short traditional season here in Montana, which starts this Saturday. This is the first year in a long time that I did not kill an elk in our rifle season so I am extra motivated to get after it. I’ve been having fun and shooting good groups. Hopefully I can share something interesting from my adventures in muzzleloader hunting.

I have so many questions and some of them seem like I’m just going to have to learn through trial and error. Like, how do I know if a conical is the right fit? They seem to deform and get a little beat up just trying to get them past the crown, and then I’m assuming that they’ve engraved on the lands and go down pretty easy. Should I be using a bullet starter shaped for my conicals? I’m not so sure. They shoot good enough groups even though they’re a little dinged up. Anyway, things like that and about a hundred other minute details that an ocd person with a background in precision reloading can complicate this with.
Welcome! Good luck on Saturday- I’ll be out there too (southeastern Montana). Wish we had some snow for tracking, though…

Welcome from the Missouri plateau ,

Had a family member that lived in the bitterroots between Hamilton and Corvallis used to get to go visit him there but haven't been west of Billings in many years now

Back