• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What kind of stuff do you all read?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope this is not inappropriate. My latest novel is INHERITED SHAME. A sea saga set during the Revolution. My 6th published book. The material was researched beyond need. Although fiction, the setting is accurate. See or buy it at Amazon. Just search the title.

Attachments

• IMG_20230909_004929176.jpg
    IMG_20230909_004929176.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Or if your interest is not the sea but land adventures prior to the Revolution, look at CALL OF THE WHIPPOORWILL, a paperback story set in the NC mountains in the 1740s. Amazon. Woodsmanship and longrifles are alive within those pages.

After 40 plus years in a technical field, I read mostly technical articles. Mostly aviation related but Harleys and Guns also fare well. No novels to speak of since Clancy and I never finished all of his.

Hate to say it but when I got into IT and the certifications, I had tens of thousands of pages to study and essentially memorize to pass the tests. After 20 years of that I pretty much burned out.

Years ago I had a neighbor who was a Japanese citizen. He decided to buy a gun and was amazed at how easy it was to get one. Just a background check, pay for it and out the door. Would maybe like to visit Japan some day... but I don't think I would want to live there. Wonder where the Yakuza gets their guns?
Banning something inevitably creates a black market for it.

Hear are a few books I have enjoyed. I have read all of them several times.

Skeeter Skelton anthologies: "Good Friends Good Guns and Good Whiskey" and "Hoglegs, Hipshots and Jalapenos". (Skeeter was the real deal and one of the all time great gun writers).

Guy Lautard editor. "The J.M. Pyne Stories and other selected writings by Lucian Cary" (Fiction based around Harry Pope the great barrel maker. Also exciting stories about machinists).

John McPhee. "Rising From the Plains" and "Irons in the Fire". ("Rising..." the geology of Wyoming told thru true history of pioneer family. "Irons..." cattle rustling in contemporary Nevada.) {Many more great books too numerous to list}.

Jim Rearden. "Castner's Cutthroats. Saga of the Alaska Scouts" (Historic fiction about Scouts in WWII Jap invasion. In reality, the Scouts were masters of bushcraft)
John McPhee could write an essay on watching grass grow and it would be a good read.

I read non fiction history books .
I have just started reading "Across The Wide Missouri, " by Bernard DeSoto, it is all about the Rocky Mountain Fur Trade and the discovery of Alfred Jacob Miller's collection of paintings and sketches which he made between 1832 and 1838 when he accompanied William Drummond Stewart to the west and made the only paintings of various rendezvous and Indian tribes and Mountain Men . It looks like an interesting read . The book is a 483 page hardcover in as new condition which cost me approximately 60 cents US at a fundraiser book sale .

Well, I have every western ever written by Louis LaMour. Fond of Michael Connelly novels. And serial killer stuff, as well as historical pieces from time to time, like the Bill Orielly historical books too.

I mostly read non-fiction, history and technical books. The older the publication the more excited I get about wanting to pick it up. My concurrent reading list goes something like this: 😏

Artillery through the Ages (1949).
Round Shot and Rammers (1969).
British Smooth-Bore Artillery: A technological study (1988).
The Wars of the Barbary Pirates (2006).

Doing some rereading at present. I stumbled upon a "Shooter's Bible"from 1986 and old Dixie Gun Works catalog. The DGW catalog is in the other room and I don't feel like going to get it right now. I don't recall the year but Sam Colt is on the cover.Too good of info to throw away.

Doing some rereading at present. I stumbled upon a "Shooter's Bible"from 1986 and old Dixie Gun Works catalog. The DGW catalog is in the other room and I don't feel like going to get it right now. I don't recall the year but Sam Colt is on the cover.Too good of info to throw away.
Yep, those Dixie catalogs were packed with good stuff. Wish I had kept all of mine.

Back