• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Want for Kibler Colonial in Curly Maple?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry... I should have known the internet was a bad place to look for advice... Just a kid looking to get into a hobby instead of sitting on the iPhone all day like the rest of Gen Z.

Clearing up some misconceptions, I have built many guns before, its kind of a hobby that I have and enjoy but Musketry is new to me and exciting. I was asking if there is a market for Kibler/Other flintlocks that have been already assembled. When I said, "build like back in the day," obviously I can't do that completely, but for me, what I have in mind will be close enough for my satisfaction. Of course I understand that its not EXACTLY how it would be back in the day starting with a CNC stock and barrel and lock and literally everything. If I ever get good enough to build from scratch, y'all will be saying that it won't be EXACTLY like back in the day because there will be the possibility of injuring myself and I'LL have access to modern medicine. My point is... I would like to try building these weapons and am acknowledging that I will not be as good as someone who has built over 70. Thats why I am ASKING YOU GUYS FOR HELP WITH THINKING THIS THROUGH!! YOU GOTTA START SOMEWHERE AND HERE I AM! With all due respect... Comfortably_Numb and Blackpowderbill... go somewhere else please. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Forgive my rudeness, I'm simply looking for encouragement hear and willingness for a few people to entertain some of my delusions.

I thank everyone who gave me quality advice tho in this thread. More people did than not. I am one of those guys that have a lot of ideas but mostly just talk through it. I love building things and I think I would really like this! I know you guys have the know how and I don't and it's why I jumped on here. Not really looking to sell anything just yet but am researching how I would do it if I start. I don't have the money to be able to do this outright (I'm in college and can't buy coffee, much less a Kibler) which is why I want to make a little money doing it. Thought it would be a pretty cool side gig! 😎 As Hermit Tim said, I will be doing more of a customization rather than building it from scratch. And yeah sure, anyone can build a Kibler...

Shot out to everyone who was positive! Please keep leaving ideas. I watched that video up top and it was very interesting. Leave some more stuff! 😎
You seem upset that you got responses based on what you actually said in your OP instead of what you were looking for or wanted. Folks don’t know you nor have no idea of your economic situation, current skill level or dedication to the craft and can only respond to what you say, not what you are thinking or may want to say. Ask questions and post photographs of any sample works you may have. Many, even the ‘most evil’ of the crowd, are more than willing to help any serious student interested in building traditional muzzleloaders in learning the finer details of the craft. One just has to ask for help and pay attention to what they are told.

Awesome! What is your channel? 😎

I think YouTube has some sort of Historical thing you can do when doing flintlocks and stuff? And I guess they just disregard the fact that muskets aren't "guns"... 🥴

LOL... I wish I could work with Kibler! 😎
Videos are here: Flintlock Rifle Building

Why can't you work with Kibler? You are a college student. I would assume that you are young enough that you are not tied down to anything yet. If you love building things then college is likely a waste of time and money anyway. You wish you could work with Kibler. So go for it. Lose the eye phone. Drive to his shop and talk to him in person. Bring samples of your work. He is not going to stab you. At worst he just says no. In the past he has posted on forums looking for employees so you actually have a real chance if you can make a good impression. His company is still rather new. Where will he be in 10 years? Someone that gets in with him now could potentially do very well.

Sorry... I should have known the internet was a bad place to look for advice... Just a kid looking to get into a hobby instead of sitting on the iPhone all day like the rest of Gen Z.

Clearing up some misconceptions, I have built many guns before, its kind of a hobby that I have and enjoy but Musketry is new to me and exciting. I was asking if there is a market for Kibler/Other flintlocks that have been already assembled. When I said, "build like back in the day," obviously I can't do that completely, but for me, what I have in mind will be close enough for my satisfaction. Of course I understand that its not EXACTLY how it would be back in the day starting with a CNC stock and barrel and lock and literally everything. If I ever get good enough to build from scratch, y'all will be saying that it won't be EXACTLY like back in the day because there will be the possibility of injuring myself and I'LL have access to modern medicine. My point is... I would like to try building these weapons and am acknowledging that I will not be as good as someone who has built over 70. Thats why I am ASKING YOU GUYS FOR HELP WITH THINKING THIS THROUGH!! YOU GOTTA START SOMEWHERE AND HERE I AM! With all due respect... Comfortably_Numb and Blackpowderbill... go somewhere else please. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Forgive my rudeness, I'm simply looking for encouragement hear and willingness for a few people to entertain some of my delusions.

I thank everyone who gave me quality advice tho in this thread. More people did than not. I am one of those guys that have a lot of ideas but mostly just talk through it. I love building things and I think I would really like this! I know you guys have the know how and I don't and it's why I jumped on here. Not really looking to sell anything just yet but am researching how I would do it if I start. I don't have the money to be able to do this outright (I'm in college and can't buy coffee, much less a Kibler) which is why I want to make a little money doing it. Thought it would be a pretty cool side gig! 😎 As Hermit Tim said, I will be doing more of a customization rather than building it from scratch. And yeah sure, anyone can build a Kibler...

Shot out to everyone who was positive! Please keep leaving ideas. I watched that video up top and it was very interesting. Leave some more stuff! 😎
To bad your not in NC , I belong to an 18th century living history and muzzleloading shooting club called Lafayette Longrifles that has their own range and big camping area , I joined them about 30 years ago and they are and have always been some of the most helpful , encouraging and nicest people I have ever been around with very good talented folks who are always willing to give someone good advice , I have learned a lot and have had a hell of a lot of fun with them over the years , good luck with your building ! ;)

Even though you told me to go away I'll leave you with some advice. I offer a kibler kit building class 2x per year in southern Indiana. Take it so you have some clue how to put one of these kits together. Unless you're fairly good at this nobody is going to give you what you paid for the kit when you're done.
I got a real chuckle about you telling me to go away. I have been making these guns for a full time living longer than you have been alive. Nothing like telling one of you most experienced resources to take a hike.
I'll not waste anymore of your time.
BTW we don't refer to these as muskets. Unless they are muskets. And, the art of making guns is not termed "musketry".

If you have never done a scratch build, I honestly don't know of what benefit a video of putting together a kit would be. It's the tricks of the trade you learn with experience that makes a video worthwhile.

You might look into buying some used MLS from pawn shops that have been mistreated a little, cleaning them up, refinishing them and selling at a little profit.

Even though you told me to go away I'll leave you with some advice. I offer a kibler kit building class 2x per year in southern Indiana. Take it so you have some clue how to put one of these kits together. Unless you're fairly good at this nobody is going to give you what you paid for the kit when you're done.
I got a real chuckle about you telling me to go away. I have been making these guns for a full time living longer than you have been alive. Nothing like telling one of you most experienced resources to take a hike.
I'll not waste anymore of your time.
BTW we don't refer to these as muskets. Unless they are muskets. And, the art of making guns is not termed "musketry".
I understand... thank you for your advice... you don't have to go away. I simply was asking for a bit less harsh of a response. 🤣 I want to learn all this stuff so forgive my rudeness. I am obviously going to be a bit ignorant to terms. Correct me if I am wrong but a musket is a smoothbore long gun. That is what I want to build. Nothing rifled yet. Just my preference. And I was referring to the hobby itself as "musketry" 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣. The definition of musketry is "musket fire" so yeah... I know it isn't the correct term. And yes... I know you've been making them longer than I've been alive, I respect you greatly! 😎 I'm just asking you to not make fun of my ignorance even though it may be vast. 🤣

Are you a part of NMLRA?

Again, forgive me for telling you to take hike. I've done a lot of different hobbies (i.e. Ham Radio) where there are a lot more experienced folks I wish to learn from but it seems like everyone expects you to know everything right off the bat and if you don't, well, you are just an idiot. I know you guys have bought, built, and sold a billion of these things and I wanna do it too!

Thank you for your time.

To bad your not in NC , I belong to an 18th century living history and muzzleloading shooting club called Lafayette Longrifles that has their own range and big camping area , I joined them about 30 years ago and they are and have always been some of the most helpful , encouraging and nicest people I have ever been around with very good talented folks who are always willing to give someone good advice , I have learned a lot and have had a hell of a lot of fun with them over the years , good luck with your building ! ;)
Dude, that is awesome... I'd like to get in touch with the reenactors around here. Apparently there are some but I can't find 'em. 😉

You seem upset that you got responses based on what you actually said in your OP instead of what you were looking for or wanted. Folks don’t know you nor have no idea of your economic situation, current skill level or dedication to the craft and can only respond to what you say, not what you are thinking or may want to say. Ask questions and post photographs of any sample works you may have. Many, even the ‘most evil’ of the crowd, are more than willing to help any serious student interested in building traditional muzzleloaders in learning the finer details of the craft. One just has to ask for help and pay attention to what they are told.
Thanks, I know. 🤦🏻‍♂️ That's what I am doing. "Ask for help and pay attention". 😎👍 Maybe I was unclear about what I was asking in my OP post. Sorry.

Ok Dirt,
Your first sentence in your original post was “I’m just beginning to get good at building flintlock muzzleloaders.” Or something close to that.
You also said you are good at wood carving.
There are MANY individuals on this site that have been building from a plank, longer than you’ve been alive. A couple of which, you’ve told to go away.
Maybe it was the phrasing of your questions that got you the answers you received?
If you want good answers, don’t make claims you can’t substantiate, and ask specific questions.
Show us what you’ve built. Show us your carving skills.
Maybe we can help.
Remember, most people here probably have 40 to 50 years on you.
Hang around with old people, they know stuff.

Ok Dirt,
Your first sentence in your original post was “I’m just beginning to get good at building flintlock muzzleloaders.” Or something close to that.
You also said you are good at wood carving.
There are MANY individuals on this site that have been building from a plank, longer than you’ve been alive. A couple of which, you’ve told to go away.
Maybe it was the phrasing of your questions that got you the answers you received?
If you want good answers, don’t make claims you can’t substantiate, and ask specific questions.
Show us what you’ve built. Show us your carving skills.
Maybe we can help.
Yes... sorry... maybe it was the way I wrote my first post. I apologize. Never been on a forum before. I think by my preceding posts you will be able to decipher my blabbing and figure out what it is I'm after. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As far as seeing my work, I'll take pictures when I visit my GPs again. I don't have any photos to post.

You need to buy a kit and put it together and see if it's something you're even interested in doing. Forget the videotaping, the internet is already full of videos of people who don't know what they are doing. ;)
Truths... I know it's something I like... I've put one together before. Not Kibler... I don't know what the heck it was. 🤣

I can understand your frustration. To give you an idea of what goes on at different shows with guns for sale, I saw a Kibler colonial for sale that was completely built but not sanded or finished, asking price was $1900, it was still on the rack the last time I saw it. There were many other guns for sale, mostly custom new guns or antiques, all selling for $3000 and up.

I can understand your frustration. To give you an idea of what goes on at different shows with guns for sale, I saw a Kibler colonial for sale that was completely built but not sanded or finished, asking price was $1900, it was still on the rack the last time I saw it. There were many other guns for sale, mostly custom new guns or antiques, all selling for $3000 and up
Oh ok... hmm... that is what I'm wondering about. If I put a bunch of time into a gun whether it be a Kibler or scratch built... is there a market out there for it? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Thanks for the info. 😎

The main attraction of a Kibler is a quality gun at an attractive price, but it still a kit. You would need be lucky to get $2K; more likely closer to $1.5K, placing your labor at approximately $1/hr or so.

Latest posts

Back