• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tired and True Finish On Curly Maple Kibler Kit - How Many Coats?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first rifle build, a Kibler Colonial Longrifle.

So far, I have applied two coats to the rifle, as per instructions, letting it dry thoroughly after a thin application coat.
Followed Jim's video, using the Tired and True product and a red Scotchbrite pad.

The wood color looks good but seems to lack depth and gloss.
How many coats is too many, and is the process to buff out with 0000 steel wool still the standard?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Where We Started.JPG
    Where We Started.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 1st Coat Drying.JPG
    1st Coat Drying.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • After Second Coat - Drying.JPG
    After Second Coat - Drying.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • After Second Coat.JPG
    After Second Coat.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Keep adding coats until you get the depth you want, cut the sheen back to what you want if you don't want it glossy. I use bronze wool, I feel better about the tiny particles that might end up in the finish not being able to rust but I can't prove it.

That is going to be gorgeous BTW, the pic with the light hitting the wrist is excellent.

I’ve not used that brand of oil. I use the original oil from track of the wolf. Before that Wakegon bay true coat that smelled and felt the same. My was a dozen coats plus. Once a day for a week one e a week for a month, one e a month for a year, shooting after the first month, and then a as I clean

Tried and True has several products. I mistakenly purchased the "Original Traditionnel" which has a maximum of three coats and "Varnish Oil" that you build up to the desired finish. The first contains beeswax, I was very pleased with the product after using it on a sample of curly maple and did use it on my Hawken build. I am using the varnish oil on the Woodsrunner
IMG_20230312_121152778_HDR.jpg

Keep adding coats until you get the depth you want, cut the sheen back to what you want if you don't want it glossy. I use bronze wool, I feel better about the tiny particles that might end up in the finish not being able to rust but I can't prove it.

That is going to be gorgeous BTW, the pic with the light hitting the wrist is excellent.
If you end up with particles in the finish, it hadn't cured enough before being rubbed out.

Back