• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial Kibler on the way. Being followed by a Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am an impatient man. Somewhat the realization that, at 80, there may be fewer days, left. I am in incredible health and real estate investing has been good for me and my wife. But who ever knows any of us could be done, today, tomorrow? I have never fired a muzzle loader and my Woodsrunner is at least two weeks away.

When it comes, then I want to do a really good job on the stock and metal work. I am looking at Kibler's videos and also videos about finishing violins with curly maple. There are some high end furniture guys near me and will haunt them as well.

So I want to shoot? There is a Southern saying, "If you want it, you NEED it!"

So, last night I bought Jamie Huxley's Colonial. Yeah a bit heavy as compared to WR, but it is ready to shoot! I also carried an M1 Garand in high school and it weighs about the same. Also I have little interest in hunting and it should be a good paper puncher! So carrying it to the range would be no big deal.

Here is my new and first "shootable" muzzle loader. You may have seen Jamie's post. His pictures. I want to get some help. measuring devices, patches, whatever else makes this go bang.

Attachments

• 274197-IMG-1306.jpg
    274197-IMG-1306.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 275064-IMG-1325.jpg
    275064-IMG-1325.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 274199-IMG-1308.jpg
    274199-IMG-1308.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I am an impatient man. Somewhat the realization that, at 80, there may be fewer days, left....
I'm seven years behind, so lately I've been coming around to the same point of view, so I say "impatience be damned". If you've got the health now, and you've got the money now, who knows how much longer you have the time? So, just go for it NOW and disregard all those who would criticize impatience. You have my blessing!! :thumb:

We need the caliber for patch, powder and ball recommendations.
Be aware that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but there can be some really stupid answers. 😁 .
It's a .50

.490 ball, .018 or .015 patch with lube or spit and a target load of 50-60grs FFF Goex and you will be good to go...

On my two .50s I shot a .490 round ball with pillow ticking patches cut at the muzzle, mostly spit patches, 50 gr. 2F for target and 80 gr. 2F for hunting. the .495 shot great but were hard to start.

OK, what kind of powder? Looks like the 490 round ball? Patch? I have seen Powder measures on Amazon.

BTW The Woodsrunner is .54. Since it is about two weeks out, I could call Bree and have them swap me for a .50 and use same stuff?

BTW The Woodsrunner is .54. Since it is about two weeks out, I could call Bree and have them swap me for a .50 and use same stuff?
You could do that. But the Woodsrunner in .54 cal is very nicely balanced and light to shoulder. A good shooter too. Either way you'll be happy with a .50 or .54, I have both and love them.

You could do that. But the Woodsrunner in .54 cal is very nicely balanced and light to shoulder. A good shooter too. Either way you'll be happy with a .50 or .54, I have both and love them.
Would there be a difference in .50 and .54? It would seem a good idea to have two .50 guns.

Would there be a difference in .50 and .54? It would seem a good idea to have two .50 guns.
The .50 is a bit heavier since there’s more steel left with the slightly smaller bore. The difference in weight is noticeable, but it’s not what I would call a problem. I stuck with having all .50 cals for many years for the same reason of not wanting to by all new jags and supplies, but I finally embraced them all. But there’s no right or wrong either way.

You definitely need a variety of calibers I have a 32, 40, several 45's, several 50, a 54, a 56, a couple 62, a 68, and a 72. The 56 and up are all smoothies variety is the spice of life.

The .54 in Woodsrunner will be a classic.
I like heavy guns. My skeet gun weighs almost 10 pounds. I have a long range center fire that goes 18. I find the Colonial in .50 to be strangely heavy and unbalanced. It is however a great range gun.

I just got my woodsrunner in 54 finished. It shoots a 530 ball with a 0.015 patch pretty well, but I think the 0.018 patch is a bit better. Both are easy to load. I am loading 50 grains or 80 grains 3F goex. I tried 40 grains 3F, but 50 seemed better. Pan powder is 4F Goex. I bought one pound of 2F Swiss, but I did not try that yet.
I also have a Kibler SMR, and I think that lock is faster.
Woodsrunner weighs 7 pounds 6 ounces with adjustable peep sights.
45 cal SMR is at 6 pounds 2 ounces with adjustable peep sights.
Both have good balance and seem lighter than the kitchen scale value.
Both rifles are for hunting, so weight is important to me.

I like a variety of calibers for squirrel and deer hunting. However if you don’t hunt, there is some wisdom in keeping your firearms in the same caliber.
I've got other rifles but just one Kibler, the Colonial. I just can't make myself love the SMR or the WR. It is the stock configurations that turn me off. Nothing WRONG with them, but that's just my weirdness showing itself.

I hope your mail is better there than Virginia, I received notice that my kit was an hour away in the distribution center 12/1/23 and it still hasn't been delivered. It says in transit but arriving late.
I guess not enough people to get mail out.

I've got other rifles but just one Kibler, the Colonial. I just can't make myself love the SMR or the WR. It is the stock configurations that turn me off. Nothing WRONG with them, but that's just my weirdness showing itself.
I’ve shouldered the colonial, that helped me in making my desicion to buy a Woodsrunner. I love the woodsrunners weight and for me it shouldered perfect. I still wouldn’t be against buying a colonial for the right price .

After having both, the Woodsrunner fit me and carried the best. The .58 Colonial balanced the best of the calibers but it didn't fit me as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back