• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Want for Kibler Colonial in Curly Maple?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No reason to be emotionally drained. In your first comment I was under the assumption you had a handle on this and knew what you were doing. If gun building is something you want to do, well, take the time and learn it. A line from an Anthony Hopkins movie has always stuck with me. "What one man can do another man can do". There is no reason you can't at least try. But get some experience and practice carving a barrel channel or lock mortise.

I've "customized" lots of mass produced guns but have never built one from scratch. There is a brand spanking new .32 barrel laying on my desk now so I plan to do this on my own. Will probably pester several of the real builders on here, but I will get it done. Also planning on building a matchlock this winter from scratch. If they can do it, I can do it, and you can do it. I don't plan to be a gun builder professionally. Just want to build my own. And I know, as late in the game as I am, I'll never build as well as Brooks, Miller, or these other great artisans we have here. But dammit I'm gonna do it. The first step to doing anything is making your mind up you're gonna do it. I'm guessing you're a young guy. If so, it will serve you well to learn to leave emotions out of stuff. Will get ya every time. Good luck.
… And to think, the old, old timers usually made every part of that rifle themselves (except for the wood).

So... I am just beginning to get good at building flintlock MLs. Here is my problem... I got no cash and am wanting to build to sell. Is there a demand for flintlocks? I'll be videoing the whole process, building it how it would have been built back in the late 18th century, and when it's finished... I will be asking roughly 2k for it. Considering that the whole kit cost me 1400... and the process of building and videoing will be... well... an interesting one. Is 600 dollars, in y'alls opinion, a good deal for my labor? Also, I'm a wood carver and should I carve a design in it? Give me thoughts, please... 😎
You have received a variety of feedback and I agree with the responses I’ve read. It would be helpful to see photos of your current builds to say yay or nay. But Kibler kits are not built, they are assembled, I know as I’m working on my 3rd at this time. What sets a finished Kibler apart from others is the time spent in properly prepping and polishing the metal, metal finishing, draw filing the barrel properly, and of course the quality of the wood finish. The gun will function great without a great finish, but a great finish is what sets it apart and adds value.

If you are planning on assembling a Kibler kit and videoing the process, it will NOT be how it would have been built in the late 18th century, as they didn’t start with a CNC inlet stock…. You may want to check out Kibler’s videos on finishing his kits. If you looking to assemble and sell, check out the sold guns in the the ‘Classified’ sub forum for an idea on price.

And as far as back in the day, watch this Gunsmith of Williamsburg video.

This was an excellent video. Thanks for posting it. Semper Fi.

I think one would have to be an exceptional carver and or engraver. I am not and I do them for free, but you have to listen to me talk or rather pontificate.

I can’t be the only one that does.

Not sure why you quoted my statement...? Think you got the wrong person. I don't ever want a custom gun made for me. Tried that route...it's why I build my own. I know when I screw up. But I don't try to hide it so the buyer doesn't know.

Not sure why you quoted my statement...? Think you got the wrong person. I don't ever want a custom gun made for me. Tried that route...it's why I build my own. I know when I screw up. But I don't try to hide it so the buyer doesn't know.
There's no such thing as a Nubian Prince Gunsmith.

I was cracking wise that the OP has no cash, but wants to build guns for a living.

Cracking wise that anything from a Nubian Prince is a scam.

Here one of 7 kibler I put together for

Attachments

• 20230717_160538.jpg
    20230717_160538.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230608_161938.jpg
    20230608_161938.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230612_162959.jpg
    20230612_162959.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230612_162948.jpg
    20230612_162948.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
So... I am just beginning to get good at building flintlock MLs. Here is my problem... I got no cash and am wanting to build to sell. Is there a demand for flintlocks? I'll be videoing the whole process, building it how it would have been built back in the late 18th century, and when it's finished... I will be asking roughly 2k for it. Considering that the whole kit cost me 1400... and the process of building and videoing will be... well... an interesting one. Is 600 dollars, in y'alls opinion, a good deal for my labor? Also, I'm a wood carver and should I carve a design in it? Give me thoughts, please... 😎
Doing video of building a gun is a great idea. But if you want to do it how it was done in the 18th century, you will need to build from a blank instead of a Kibler kit. Building guns is a lousy way to make money. If you are way beyond just beginning to get good at it, can do it fast, and have established a name for yourself, it is possible that you may eventually be able to just barely be able to pay the bills. Realistically, you will make a lot more money delivering pizza.

There is even less money in the video. A lot less. I have done over 300 gun building videos so far. Last month I made almost $2 from them. I have them on Rumble. You can get a lot more views on You Tube. They will not monetize gun building videos. But they will delete them and close your account.

Build guns and make video because you enjoy doing it. Not hard to make enough money to pay for the next project. If you want to make a living by building guns your best shot is to finish that kit. Then drive over to Mr Kibler's shop. Show him your work and ask for a job.

Sorry... I should have known the internet was a bad place to look for advice... Just a kid looking to get into a hobby instead of sitting on the iPhone all day like the rest of Gen Z.

Clearing up some misconceptions, I have built many guns before, its kind of a hobby that I have and enjoy but Musketry is new to me and exciting. I was asking if there is a market for Kibler/Other flintlocks that have been already assembled. When I said, "build like back in the day," obviously I can't do that completely, but for me, what I have in mind will be close enough for my satisfaction. Of course I understand that its not EXACTLY how it would be back in the day starting with a CNC stock and barrel and lock and literally everything. If I ever get good enough to build from scratch, y'all will be saying that it won't be EXACTLY like back in the day because there will be the possibility of injuring myself and I'LL have access to modern medicine. My point is... I would like to try building these weapons and am acknowledging that I will not be as good as someone who has built over 70. Thats why I am ASKING YOU GUYS FOR HELP WITH THINKING THIS THROUGH!! YOU GOTTA START SOMEWHERE AND HERE I AM! With all due respect... Comfortably_Numb and Blackpowderbill... go somewhere else please. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Forgive my rudeness, I'm simply looking for encouragement hear and willingness for a few people to entertain some of my delusions.

I thank everyone who gave me quality advice tho in this thread. More people did than not. I am one of those guys that have a lot of ideas but mostly just talk through it. I love building things and I think I would really like this! I know you guys have the know how and I don't and it's why I jumped on here. Not really looking to sell anything just yet but am researching how I would do it if I start. I don't have the money to be able to do this outright (I'm in college and can't buy coffee, much less a Kibler) which is why I want to make a little money doing it. Thought it would be a pretty cool side gig! 😎 As Hermit Tim said, I will be doing more of a customization rather than building it from scratch. And yeah sure, anyone can build a Kibler...

Shot out to everyone who was positive! Please keep leaving ideas. I watched that video up top and it was very interesting. Leave some more stuff! 😎

Doing video of building a gun is a great idea. But if you want to do it how it was done in the 18th century, you will need to build from a blank instead of a Kibler kit. Building guns is a lousy way to make money. If you are way beyond just beginning to get good at it, can do it fast, and have established a name for yourself, it is possible that you may eventually be able to just barely be able to pay the bills. Realistically, you will make a lot more money delivering pizza.

There is even less money in the video. A lot less. I have done over 300 gun building videos so far. Last month I made almost $2 from them. I have them on Rumble. You can get a lot more views on You Tube. They will not monetize gun building videos. But they will delete them and close your account.

Build guns and make video because you enjoy doing it. Not hard to make enough money to pay for the next project. If you want to make a living by building guns your best shot is to finish that kit. Then drive over to Mr Kibler's shop. Show him your work and ask for a job.
Awesome! What is your channel? 😎

I think YouTube has some sort of Historical thing you can do when doing flintlocks and stuff? And I guess they just disregard the fact that muskets aren't "guns"... 🥴

LOL... I wish I could work with Kibler! 😎

There's no such thing as a Nubian Prince Gunsmith.

I was cracking wise that the OP has no cash, but wants to build guns for a living.

Cracking wise that anything from a Nubian Prince is a scam.
Yup... I have chosen the worst possible work... before this... I wanted to sew tactical gear... 🤣

Like I said... delusions. 😎

Latest posts

Back